Entry level Attire....

Damn it . . . all I got is one black suit. Was planning on buying a gray one once I get a job. I wear ties and shirts that make it less funeral like . . . . What are people’s opinions on Cole Haan dress shoes. I heard they are extremely comfortable, and some of the models look really nice.

luke77 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well, I disagree with much the above advice. I > work at an investment bank and would never spend > more than $40 on a shirt - I buy my clothes on > sale and am usually can find decent quality for > around $25-30. I don’t even want to say how much > my interview suit cost. IMO nobody cares what you > wear as long as you look neat and presentable. I’m in the same shoes and I agree 100%. Absolutely no correlation between level of success and wardrobe value (although I probably spend more on mine than this statement makes it seem…) Niblita, don’t worry… I’m sure Jorts and mullets are completely appropriate for UF career days. But seriously, don’t taze me bro… (in other words, don’t lose to much sleep over only having a black suit, all I had when I got my first job and it worked out well for me)

luke77 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well, I disagree with much the above advice. I > work at an investment bank and would never spend > more than $40 on a shirt - I buy my clothes on > sale and am usually can find decent quality for > around $25-30. I don’t even want to say how much > my interview suit cost. IMO nobody cares what you > wear as long as you look neat and presentable. I’m in the same shoes and I agree 100%. Absolutely no correlation between level of success and wardrobe value (although I probably spend more on mine than this statement makes it seem…) Niblita, don’t worry… I’m sure Jorts and mullets are completely appropriate for UF career days. But seriously, don’t taze me bro… (in other words, don’t lose to much sleep over only having a black suit, all I had when I got my first job and it worked out well for me)

PMwannaB Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I went through Squires. > > You can get a one BDR for about 2000 +. It is > very expensive down here. The salarys start at > about 60K + bonus (almost tax free) for entry > level in an OPS type role. If you are junior exec > and above there can be living allowances which are > generous. > > Most ex-pats here drive scooters so you don’t have > a car payment. All in all the money is very good > even with the crazy prices. 70K tax free is like > 100K in Toronto. Expenses are higher but you are > not blowing money on a car and going out for > drinks is about the same price as dowtown Toronto. > > > I haven’t really met anyone down here who isn’t > happy with their decision to come down for a few > years. Hey PMWanna, If you dont mind, can you email me so I can ask you some more questions on relocation, goleafs1980@hotmail.com

IH8FSA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > PMwannaB Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I went through Squires. > > > > You can get a one BDR for about 2000 +. It is > > very expensive down here. The salarys start at > > about 60K + bonus (almost tax free) for entry > > level in an OPS type role. If you are junior > exec > > and above there can be living allowances which > are > > generous. > > > > Most ex-pats here drive scooters so you don’t > have > > a car payment. All in all the money is very > good > > even with the crazy prices. 70K tax free is > like > > 100K in Toronto. Expenses are higher but you > are > > not blowing money on a car and going out for > > drinks is about the same price as dowtown > Toronto. > > > > > > I haven’t really met anyone down here who isn’t > > happy with their decision to come down for a > few > > years. > > > > Hey PMWanna, If you dont mind, can you email me so > I can ask you some more questions on relocation, > goleafs1980@hotmail.com Sure no problem. My email is djcookieman@gmail.com

Theo, Hugo Boss best fits a slimer build. At 6’2 215 your will probobly fit the boxier Boss suits well but the slimer cuts will be way too tight unless you are totally ripped. I am 6’4 195 and Boss fits me like a glove( I know i am a skinny bastard)–virtually no alterations other than pant and sleeve lenght. Find a brand that build suits for your body type and they will look better and last longer. The other upside of Boss is that if you get a mid range(~1000 regular price- shop sales) one they will last for about 4-5 years if well cared for.

Navy Blue with Bergundy…a definite winner. I’d disagree with those that say black suits are a no-no. I’ve pulled it off many times, but maybe it just suits my look (no pun intended).

Black suits can work …if you are tony soprano

I am going down to BB’s tomorrow. I never asked this but the sales people are respectable there I assume, right? I know they are legendary at Nordstrom’s. I obviously do not look like their target customer and will go there with cargo’s and a polo on. I also need all the help I can get with sizing and such. So I just want to be sure they have good customer service and will not treat me like trash. Thanks for the input.

If you’re shopping for suit wear a white dress shirt. Dress loafers will help too, otherwise you’ll have to put on the loaner 13D’s for hemming. If you can take your s.o. a second set of eyes helps – the salesman will tell you everything looks good on you. I always find tailors much more honest fit-wise than the salesmen on the floor, so before you commit tell the salesman you’d like the tailor’s opinion. Keep it very conservative – very subtle pinstripe at most in the suits. If you’re looking to build a wardrobe, the monster men’s sales are in Jan-Feb, you’ll find suits nearly half off. Buy 3 now and the rest then. BB’s no-iron cotton shirts are miraculous – you can launder at home and take straight out of the dryer; and then they stay wrinkle free through your day. The cleaning savings pay for the shirt. If you’re buying multiple items the salesman should be willing to negotiate on price. Alterations should be free. Buy very traditional toe-cap shoes and spend a lot on them. Two pairs.

Hey Hacker, Tomorrow I am just going to buy that no-iron dress shirt you are talking about and a tie. That is really it for now. In a month the pants and after chirstmas the jacket. That will be my main suit, so to say. I cannot really afford to do it all at BB, so to be honest for anything else I need right now it will probably be one of the lower price point stores mentioned in this thread by a few posters. I have some bostonian dress shoes that feel great, don’t know how the brand is regarded though. What has me a bit baffled is that on Brooks Brothers site, I have taken a look at many of the dress shirts and they all seem to have some kind of small pattern when you zoom in. I rather have something very plain, light blue. I am guessing once I get there they will have this though. You are right on sales people! Not the best place, but I bought a $300 jacket at Macy’s and had the person size me up and everything and at the time it seemed fine but I look back and it was probably a size too big or too long. I rather have a jacket more form fitting. But you live and you learn and that is why I want to get my main interview outfit at a top tier place like BB.

For shoes here in the UK Church are pretty much the uniform in The City. However, the best value shoes I ever bought were a pair of Hugo Boss - admittedly £300, but they looked great for years … and burnt really well when they eventually transitioned from worn-in to worn-out. If you can afford more than one pair of good quality shoes and wear them on alternate days this allows them to breathe/dry-out and significantly increases their life IMHO. The one thing that amazed me on this thread is the recommendations for Hugo Boss suits from the bigger blokes. I’m just over 6 foot and used to play rugby so am fairly broad and I just find HB suits too tight on the shoulders. If I get one to fit on the shoulders I could basically be pregnant around the waist. Still, maybe that “I’m-a-bouncer-in-a-suit” look is what HB is aiming for …

I’m the same way Loxley (former wing-forward…). A few HB work for me, but not great. The Jacket is always to big in the waist for the boxier cuts or the pants are too small in the slimmer cuts. If you can find them on sale, Hickey Freeman is the way to go. Find the right sale and you should be able to get one for about the same price as HB.

Might as well bring this up (I am Theo, BTW- That SN stopped working for some reason). How many blazers should I have up until I get my job? Is one or two good enough for interviews and all that? And typically, what is a good number to have when you are actually working? One for each working day of the week? All dark blue/gray/black tones? Thanks and happy New Year

Since someone refreshed this thread, I should mention that Brooks Brothers is having their semiannual sale right now. It’s really the best time to buy a suit or dress shirts therem - and maybe the only time it’s really worth it. I think you can get three dress shirts for $160, or thereabouts, which is a pretty good deal. The suits are not super-cheap even on sale, but they really do last forever. I recommend you go in person because the selection on the website sucks, and the website’s annoying as heck to use anyway.

Bauer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Might as well bring this up (I am Theo, BTW- That > SN stopped working for some reason). > > How many blazers should I have up until I get my > job? Is one or two good enough for interviews and > all that? And typically, what is a good number > to have when you are actually working? One for > each working day of the week? All dark > blue/gray/black tones? > > > Thanks and happy New Year You probably only need one blazer for now; maybe two once you start work, but one should be fine. Also if you’re still looking for dress shirts, every store is having a huge sale right now including BB - get a few of their solid shirts and you should be just fine for someone just starting out. I was shopping around Fifth Avenue yesterday and saw hordes of people in the BB store – of course, the three shirts for $160 signs are pretty hard to miss, but it’s hard to beat that price if you’re just looking for something solid and serviceable. (Similarly you can find a ton of great stuff on sale at Barneys, Bergdorf, and Saks but they might be slightly out of your price range…no need to worry though) Oh, and if you find shopping in NYC to be stressful, most of these shops have websites and you can justr order online Happy New Year

I would probably assume most people trying to get a first job would find Barneys, Bergdorf and Saks well out of their price range, but i def agree on brooks brothers. Nordstrom (although not in the city) and Macys in herald sq have some really nice shirts

You’re right on Barneys and Bergdorf, but there are actually some decent shirts that you can get at Saks for less than $100. Also, much to my surprise, I did see some Brioni and Kiton ties at Barneys yesterday for less than $100 as well…unfortunately, there weren’t any patterns that I liked, but I’m sure someone can find a steal there. I also agree with you re: Macy’s and Lord and Taylor for entry level finance attire. Basically, if you’re looking to load up on clothes, now is a good time because every place is having sales. Just don’t wait too long because stock is flying off the shelves and standard sizes might become harder to find.

Speaking of Macy’s check out their suit sale. they have several lables at 50% off. I just got a Joseph Abboud navy suit of theirs yesterday that is usually $545 for 50% off. Nice quality too. too bad no one has any good deals on decent shoes right now, I was hoping to find like a solid $200 pair for $120 or something.

Does attire matter as much if you are not at a BB firm? Is Josabank crap, how about hart schaeffer & marx, do I need to upgrade to brooksbros or above? I’m gonna be working in ER, i dont know if the dress requirements are the same as for IBD.