Entry level Attire....

“Josabank crap, how about hart schaeffer & marx” You’ve gotta be kidding…I think you’d be upgrading if you went to Banana Republic.

hey, sorry, ive been working at a business casual firm and the only suits I have are from fraternity days in college

One of my bosses, a PM who always looks put-together (not BSD-put-together, but fine) admitted that he shops often at Men’s Wearhouse. The guy makes a great living, but he’s not hung up on image. One of my peers regularly spends $200 per shirt (which he announces) and has a wide array of cufflinks and pink shirts. Guy tries very hard to look the part and I don’t think anybody here cares a bit. It’s all about the work you do, so long as you look situation-appropriate. While I agree that you don’t want your few suits to look chintzy, I think this thread is way too preoccupied with clothing status. Many of you are BOMs anyway. No offense.

i was only kidding…i’m not sure about attire in ER.

You’re exempted, Turkish. We buy-side folks tend to be pretty nerdy and drab anyway.

I’ve bought pocket squares at Men’s Wearhouse…they’ve treated me quite well.

Thanks grunt…you always know how to make me feel good when I’m currently looking for the keys to the roof.

My boss praised the service there, too. Keys to the roof? One of those days, eh?

i’m gonna repost my original question since it has dissapeared, anybody know the dress code in ER?

The week has been fairly ugly…

Buy-side, samss? Why, yes. Business casual, but business formal when meeting with folks outside the firm. Generally this means dress shirts and (ideally) flat-front slacks. I never see polos in the office, and khakis are pretty much only worn by the non-investment-oriented folks. But that’s just my observation. I hear that, Turkish.

sell-side

Probably the same but with everything being higher-quality/more BSD-ish. Suits required more often.

I’m buyside, there are a ton of bespoke suits in my office…

Nordstrom has a nice english cut shirt offering (looks like poor man’s thomas pink) that goes on sale a couple times a year for around $80. The Nordstrom sales are great if you need a bunch of stuff including shoes but be prepared…its a total crap show there during sale time.

None of the PMs in my group go for the bespoke suits. I’m kind of glad, because that means there’s a lower bar for me. My husband already thinks I spend too much on clothing.

so what does it cost for a good starter suit in general (lets talk sales price, not original price)

Yeah, we’re a little crazy here…luckily a bunch of us use the same tailor and we get some pretty tight deals. One guy is insane and uses 3 small shops exclusively, spends probably $50K a year, no joke. Allows the rest of us to get some ridiculous deals.

I spend around $500-600, but I’m a chick, so I hope to get away with a cheaper suit by showing a little leg.

“I spend around $500-600, but I’m a chick, so I hope to get away with a cheaper suit by showing a little leg.” Nice call.