Ermenegildo Zegna

I have been shopping for better shirts to wear to work lately. And I come across a few good ones including Zegna and Armani, these 2 are my favourites now. Are there any top brand you wear to work or you would recommend me? For a good shirt I mean it should be at least $200 USD per shirt. (e.g. Buberry and Hugo Boss is short of that).

“$200 USD per shirt”? interesting benchmark. As you may know, there are multiple product lines for shirts on both the Zegna and Armani brands, some of which are superior to Burberry but others which are not. For what it’s worth, I don’t know if you only looked in the clearance section or something, but most Burberry dress shirts new with tags are at least $195. Anyway, not to digress, but other quality shirtmakers you might consider include Kiton, Brioni, Borrelli, Charvet, and Turnbull & Asser – assuming you’ve got the money and are willing to spend. That being said, I don’t know if you should really be in the market for this type of stuff. Sure, price is a good way to weed out lower quality shirts (most of which are around $60 or less), but good quality shirts can certainly be had for less than $200 per shirt (including bespoke). However, if you’re looking for good shirts with the price point of “$200 USD per shirt” as being your main barometer of quality, you may not have sartorial tastes that are discriminating enough for quality shirts, and therefore should not be spending that type of money on them. I think you need to concern yourself with matters such as fit, followed by needlework (hand-sewn buttons, straight and tight stitching, single-needle tailoring, etc.), followed by fabric (only because good fabrics tend to come hand-in-hand with good needlework anyway). All three of these aforementioned factors are more important than brand itself, especially fit. All of the brands mentioned above, while known for quality, are also capable of making bad shirts (we all make mistakes), and you need to know the difference so you aren’t just paying for a label. If you really want to know what makes a quality shirt, you’ll take the time to learn about what elements add to the quality; otherwise, focus on finding the proper fit first and foremost, and then concern yourself with needlework. Clothing brands don’t make a man, but poorly-fitted clothes do make a fool.

thx thats good wisdom to share! :slight_smile:

Anyone can describe in more detail the tradeoff between higher 1xx cotton shirts (140,150) with their durability? Basically the smoother the feel to the skin of the threads that have been stretched longer makes the shirt less durable right?

True, the higher the count the less durable the cloth. I think Numi’s sartorial approach makes most sense, at least for my money, and is worth a careful read. What happens, is that big fashion names, such as Burberry, Boss, Armani etc. make shirts that are not value for money. YOu get good quality obviously but you are paying 2-3 times book. If one is willing to spend north of 200 smackers on a shirt, then it has to be bespoke. OW. one should look into more niche players such as Turnbull & Asser (Trad. British manufacturer), CT shirts, Hawes and Curtis etc.

True, the higher the count the less durable the cloth. I think Numi’s sartorial approach makes most sense, at least for my money, and is worth a careful read. What happens, is that big fashion names, such as Burberry, Boss, Armani etc. make shirts that are not value for money. YOu get good quality obviously but you are paying 2-3 times book. If one is willing to spend north of 200 smackers on a shirt, then it has to be bespoke. OW. one should look into more niche players such as Turnbull & Asser (Trad. British manufacturer), CT shirts, Hawes and Curtis etc.

Thomas Pink shirts are great. They usually run anywhere from 150-300 USD. They run sales 2x a year and i think its going on right now. Great shirts.

I can’t imagine spending $200 for a shirt. I like fine material and good cuts, but I perspire a lot and the collars get unusable very quickly for me, dry cleaning or no. I just don’t have the cash to depreciate $50 every time I put on a shirt.

Stefano Ricci - if money is not a barrier Gucci, Dolce, Canali, Domenico Vacca - Only because I like slimmer cuts, even though they are not considered as quality as kiton brioni, I buy shirts for fit And I disagree with the previous statement that if you are paying $200+ you should always go bespoke. (unless i suppose you are extrememly overweight)

I luv banana

monki Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have been shopping for better shirts to wear to > work lately. And I come across a few good ones > including Zegna and Armani, these 2 are my > favourites now. > > Are there any top brand you wear to work or you > would recommend me? > > For a good shirt I mean it should be at least $200 > USD per shirt. (e.g. Buberry and Hugo Boss is > short of that). Not sure if you live in NY or work there, but you can get higher quality custom shirts and MTM suits than the brands you listed for less than the price of fashion brands (CEGO and Mr. Ned are good examples). Also, $200 is WAY too much to pay for a Boss or Burberry shirt…

I don’t think I’ve ever spent $200 on a suit…

Y’all crazy. I’m reminded of a joke I heard about conspicuous consumption in Russia. It went something like this… Yuri tells Dimitri that he just bought a fancy watch for $30,000 from one of many high-end retailers in Moscow. Dimitri laughs and says, “You idiot. You could have bought it for twice the price across the street!”

Be the James Bond of the investment world… Turnbull and Asser. Or be the Charles de Gaulle of the investment world… Charvet. I

“YOu get good quality obviously but you are paying 2-3 times book.” 2-3 times? I think it is definetely north of that… But I do agree that for 200$ a shirt one should go MTM or Bespoke… The main point is that you should never purchase “Designer Labeled Brands” as they are based on a advertising and designing business model as opposed to a quality hand work model…

This “thred” reminds me too much of wallstreetoasis, only thing that is missing is 14 year olds pretending to be md’s.

I dunno, I think I need to go shopping with numi for an education. The “queer eye for the straight guy” kinda thing. How come the plants in my office keep dying?

…this seems like a conversation right out of American Psycho…

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I dunno, I think I need to go shopping with numi > for an education. The “queer eye for the straight > guy” kinda thing. How come the plants in my > office keep dying? haha…I’m actually a pretty casual guy, and am all about polos and jeans on the weekends. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s important to look good for work, but I think my interest in business attire may actually have less to do with my preoccupation with details, and more to do with my generally being paranoid about overpaying for things…

monki Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > For a good shirt I mean it should be at least $200 > USD per shirt. (e.g. Buberry and Hugo Boss is > short of that). *looks at his brand new Hugo Boss shirt* awwww, I suddenly feel so cheap and unfashionable.