Ethics of disclosing Exam Question Question (Level 3 AM)

This question is completely out of curiosity. What is the rationale for not being able to discuss exam questions specifically in L3 AM after the exam is over? (Let’s assume, it’s after the very last time zone to take the exam is done). CFAI, after all discloses the L3 AM every year any way, so why is it an ethical issue (other than, just because they say so) to discuss AM exam questions before they’ve been released.

I think it would create too much confusion if the exam had a strict policy of keeping exam questions/content confidential with the caveat that level 3 AM is ok… (but not PM)… more so for the newbies at level 1

IMO it’s meant at keeping the rules simple and uniform across all three levels. in some testing locations all three levels are in the same room and are read the same instruction…

Because they only disclose the exam to prep providers and candidates. Not the entire general public. Anyone can come in AF and see our threads. They release the exam to a specific audience is the key.

people kee saying they practised am mocks as far back as 90s although institute provides only 3. The institute knows that the am papers are easily available. Probably they want to keep it away from lazy candidates, else they should share more.

one reason i see is the readings might change significantly in 3 years, hence some questions might not be relevant and may confuse some candidates.

I think the question is about discussion among level 3 candidates…

By the way, if you were to follow the candidate pledge to the letters, you wouldn’t want to discuss the CFA level 3 AM exam questions even after they have been published by CFAI. You are still bound by the agreement even if everyone has access to the question.

Just consider this possibility. What if, after some deliberation, CFAI decides not to release the AM exam for CFA L3 2017? You will be in clear violation of the pledge if you talk about the question after the exam, and you will have not be able to come up with any justification.

Also, what if, just what if, CFAI decides to publish all of the actual CFA L3 2017 AM questions, but intentionally omits one sub-part of question 4 and replaces it with a fake question? If you point that out to anybody, you are robbing CFAI’s of its right and ability to selectively reveal exam questions to the public.

Your last “what if” hypothesis is actually the case. I failed last year but I have very strong impression for certain questions on the exam I wrote. As a 2017 re-take, of course I had access to 2016 AM question provided by CFAI. To be honest, I can not find a few questions which left me strong impression during last year’s exam; Instead, I found several questions I promise I have never seen it in the actual exam of last year. So it’s either your hypothesis valid or CFAI had prepared two sets of AM question with few parts slightly different, although I don’t think it’s very likely.

Look out, dreamland3.

CFAI monitors this forum very closely. When CFA L3 results were unintentionally made available on CFA website on July 2015, several members posted their preliminary results on this very forum. Within an hour, CFA found out about that and corrected the problem immediately…

You may be in violation of CFA code of ethics without knowing. For example, you stated that you took the 2017 exam right? So there is no way you are a charterholder right now. Yet, your profile is showing:

dreamland3

• CFA, FRM Level III Candidate
  • 7 AF Points

So, you are basically stating you are (1) a CFA charterholder, and (2) a FRM Level III candidate.

If CFAI wants to get you, they can easily find justifications to do so…

Thanks for pointing out. However it’s totally not my problem:)It’s analyst forum’s confusing display form. I have checked my personal profile page, it clearly suggests I am a CFA level 3 candidate, while the exam I am taking are CFA and FRM. FRM does not even have a level 3. And if as you suggest that CFAI wants to seriously correct any violation of code, many threads would be in trouble as I noticed many people here are saying “a CFA”. If you go through the official reading, it says “CFA” should never be used as noun but always as adjective.