Ethics question

There was a question in the Ethics section about the title on the business card: Passed CFA level 2: Yes/No Candidate to CFa level 3: Yes/No How did you answer?

i think they were both yes, even though i put yes/no. i was thrown by the 2nd one that said “passed level 2 of the CFA examination”, which i thought was wrong. looking in the handbook though clearly states this is OK.

i thought it said “is a level 2 CFA” which is NOT okay. i dont remember the actual wording, though.

They were both acceptable. One said Level 2 CFA Candidate, which is listed as acceptable usage in the texts and the other was that they had passed a level of the exam, which is acceptable as a statement of fact.

i think one of them was wrong because the wording was off. i cant remember the exact problem :confused:

asdffdsa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i think one of them was wrong because the wording > was off. i cant remember the exact problem :confused: I thought the reference to Level 2 was wrong but the reference to Level 3 was correct. I can’t recall the specifics of the wording.

hezagenius Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > asdffdsa Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > i think one of them was wrong because the > wording > > was off. i cant remember the exact problem :confused: > > > I thought the reference to Level 2 was wrong but > the reference to Level 3 was correct. I can’t > recall the specifics of the wording. yes, thats what i got. it’s okay to say “level 3 candidate” but it’s not okay to say “a level 2 CFA”

Both were ok: Level 3 candidate Passed level 2 of the CFA Exam So the answer was no/no: asked you if either violated

jimmylegs Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Both were ok: > > Level 3 candidate > Passed level 2 of the CFA Exam > > So the answer was no/no: asked you if either > violated ditto

was this US version?

jimmylegs Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Both were ok: > > Level 3 candidate > Passed level 2 of the CFA Exam > > So the answer was no/no: asked you if either > violated If that is the wording, I would say the L2 reference is still incorrect. The exam doesn’t have 3 levels, the program does.

i stared at this one hard for an extended priod of time and i am confident that at least one of them was wrong. it was a sleeper type question where it looked correct but actually was not. i guess we will not know unless somehow CFAI releases the exact question.

asdffdsa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i stared at this one hard for an extended priod of > time and i am confident that at least one of them > was wrong. it was a sleeper type question where it > looked correct but actually was not. i guess we > will not know unless somehow CFAI releases the > exact question. Agreed. The L3 reference was clearly correct (unless the person hadn’t registered for the L3 exam - I don’t recall). The L2 reference was fuzzy but I thought it was wrong. Usually on these exams, if you aren’t sure it is right, it is a safer bet to say that it is wrong. Rarely are both items correct in these types of question and CFAI wants you to figure out which one.

jimmylegs Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Both were ok: > > Level 3 candidate > Passed level 2 of the CFA Exam > > So the answer was no/no: asked you if either > violated ditto for me too…

hezagenius Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > Agreed. The L3 reference was clearly correct > (unless the person hadn’t registered for the L3 > exam - I don’t recall). The L2 reference was > fuzzy but I thought it was wrong. Usually on > these exams, if you aren’t sure it is right, it is > a safer bet to say that it is wrong. Rarely are > both items correct in these types of question and > CFAI wants you to figure out which one. both were fine and i believe almost verbatum from the cfai ethics manual

It did say in the vinyette that she was registered to take the next L3 exam. So therefore, she was a L3 Candidate. (so I put no for violation) For the 2nd part, I also put down a no violation because she had passed the L2 exam. I can’t remember what it’s an exact wording is… though I don’t think the CFAI usually nails us for symatics like “the CFA exam doesn’t have 3 levels, the program does”… that doesn’t seem to be the point. But I’m terrible at answering ethics questions. I thought the “sleeper” in this question is that you’d assume at least 1 person is wrong, where they both could be wrong or both correct.

It was annoyingly worded as, “Passed Level II of the CFA examination”. I figured the proper reference would be the CFA program (obviously cause it’s three exams), so I put violation. Either way, it was yet another bulls&%t q.

DeLaSoul Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- Either way, it was yet another bulls&%t q. Amen brother, amen.

DeLaSoul Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It was annoyingly worded as, “Passed Level II of > the CFA examination”. > > I figured the proper reference would be the CFA > program (obviously cause it’s three exams), so I > put violation. Either way, it was yet another > bulls&%t q. Totally agree. I can’t even remember what I finally went with on this part, because I flip-flopped a couple of times. The L3 reference was definitely OK though.

Jed Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > DeLaSoul Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > It was annoyingly worded as, “Passed Level II > of > > the CFA examination”. > > > > I figured the proper reference would be the CFA > > program (obviously cause it’s three exams), so > I > > put violation. Either way, it was yet another > > bulls&%t q. > > Totally agree. I can’t even remember what I > finally went with on this part, because I > flip-flopped a couple of times. The L3 reference > was definitely OK though. Yeah, that sounds like the wording. To me, that’s a violation.