Facebook Depression

So after a long time, i logged into my fb account. Browsing through, trying to see what ppl have been upto. And man, it was so depressing. So many people seem to be having a good time in their lives, travelling all over the world, going to beaches, exotic locations (one friend travelled to fuckin helsinki, wtf) and all multiple times in a year. I don’t know when last I took a real vacation and went somewhere worthwhile. And the most depressing part is most of these people are not even remotely related to finance. I bet they don’t even know something like excel exists or whether CFA>MBA. And I know these people are not making bank like I-Bankers or something. Just makes me wonder where they get the cash for all these trips and staying in 5-star hotels and what not. And makes me think about what I am doing, busting my balls for some certification or working in the finance industry. I just hope its all worth it in the end.

sparty419 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So after a long time, i logged into my fb account. > Browsing through, trying to see what ppl have been > upto. And man, it was so depressing. So many > people seem to be having a good time in their > lives, travelling all over the world, going to > beaches, exotic locations (one friend travelled to > fuckin helsinki, wtf) and all multiple times in a > year. I don’t know when last I took a real > vacation and went somewhere worthwhile. And the > most depressing part is most of these people are > not even remotely related to finance. I bet they > don’t even know something like excel exists or > whether CFA>MBA. And I know these people are not > making bank like I-Bankers or something. Just > makes me wonder where they get the cash for all > these trips and staying in 5-star hotels and what > not. And makes me think about what I am doing, > busting my balls for some certification or working > in the finance industry. I just hope its all worth > it in the end. its okay. we can underwrite their cdo to expose them when it collapses.

They get loans from bank of mom and dad

I have some friends in Cisco working as networking consultants, not more than 2 years out of college, and they are in a new country every quarter. Moreover, Cisco pays for 5 star hotels stays and all your expenses there, all your travel in that country, even you can rent a car… but you can’t do much shopping as it doesn’t pays that much. Same is with few dudes at Applied Materials working as sales engineers. If you are someone who like traveling and 5 star hotel stays, then that job is a dream job. Sadly all such jobs pay very very less, you can rent a Merc in Argentina, Ferrari in Switzerland… all on company’s expense, but you can’t even own the cheapest Merc at home, unless you are many years in service and save a lot!

Life is zero sum game, career in finance is a long term value investment… haha!

Doesn’t look like they are on the job though, otherwise I am gonna be making phones calls for positions soon…Haha…yea…I know what you mean, it maybe wouldn’t pay off in the long run to enjoy that way; I guess it’s just temporary pleasure, and all of us here are probably working towards hopefully doing that in our future, and its just depressing to see ppl enjoying without a care in their lives right now…haha… Oh well…end of rant !

I haven’t had a really awesome vacation in a while, even though I can afford to. I’m focused on setting myself up for life right now, have a few rental properties, save a lot of money and and just ball locally. I think I learned that from monopoly. Still fun to be young and single. I got a lot of the travel jones out during and immediately after college though. Dude, there is no reason you cannot travel assuming you have a job.

Bernanke Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Life is zero sum game, career in finance is a long > term value investment… haha! This makes no sense. Some people do have better lives than others.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bernanke Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Life is zero sum game, career in finance is a > long > > term value investment… haha! > > > This makes no sense. Some people do have better > lives than others. i think he’s referring to life after you get married

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bernanke Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Life is zero sum game, career in finance is a > long > > term value investment… haha! > > > This makes no sense. Some people do have better > lives than others. You can have much more satisfaction and much less money, being a archeologist, or geologist or travel writer etc etc. In fact Tibetan monks are most satisfied people, you can’t come anywhere close to their level of satisfaction, ever, no matter how much you earn. Satisfaction is what you think it to be, what I said makes sense just from perspective of money.

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ohai Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Bernanke Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Life is zero sum game, career in finance is a > > long > > > term value investment… haha! > > > > > > This makes no sense. Some people do have better > > lives than others. > > > i think he’s referring to life after you get > married Perhaps :)!

But doesn’t that nullify your initial point?

just because they look happy in a picture doesnt mean they really are. noone is going to post a sad picture of them on facebook.

sparty419 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Doesn’t look like they are on the job though, > otherwise I am gonna be making phones calls for > positions soon…Haha…yea…I know what you mean, > it maybe wouldn’t pay off in the long run to enjoy > that way; I guess it’s just temporary pleasure, > and all of us here are probably working towards > hopefully doing that in our future, and its just > depressing to see ppl enjoying without a care in > their lives right now…haha… Oh well…end of > rant ! I guess it’s you whose facebook album might spark jealousy… pictures with beautiful Kazakh girls, then Singapore girls then exotic Indian girls… haha!

Bernanke Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have some friends in Cisco working as networking > consultants, not more than 2 years out of college, > and they are in a new country every quarter. > Moreover, Cisco pays for 5 star hotels stays and > all your expenses there, all your travel in that > country, even you can rent a car… but you can’t > do much shopping as it doesn’t pays that much. > Same is with few dudes at Applied Materials > working as sales engineers. > > If you are someone who like traveling and 5 star > hotel stays, then that job is a dream job. Sadly > all such jobs pay very very less, you can rent a > Merc in Argentina, Ferrari in Switzerland… all > on company’s expense, but you can’t even own the > cheapest Merc at home, unless you are many years > in service and save a lot! you cant rent Ferrari… dont be ridiculous, comp nay would never expense that

Just take a week off and go to some random place. You don’t need too much time and is not really that expensive. You can join Nupps during his trip to Argentina. I’d do it if I could.

@CSK: Yes you can, and you are heavily underestimating the luxuries to engineering consultants on business travel. Anyways, engineers deserve something, if not a good salary… haha!

Aah…the Kazakh and Singapore girls was from a life I wish that would have never ended, but I jumped into the whole CFA+MBA bandwagon and never been able to replicate that life…haha… but looks like some of the other people I know are still continuing that life, that’s what made me depressed…But I mean, like you said, happiness is all relative…if you are self-satisfied, then externalities doesn’t play much of a role I guess…but unfortunately, we live in a time where you are judged by how big your house is and which care you got and how much money you got in the bank…I am a guilty party to that as well…not gonna be a hypocrite…

Bernanke Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > @CSK: Yes you can, and you are heavily > underestimating the luxuries to engineering > consultants on business travel. > > Anyways, engineers deserve something, if not a > good salary… haha! I would fire compliance officer at that company the first thing.

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bernanke Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > @CSK: Yes you can, and you are heavily > > underestimating the luxuries to engineering > > consultants on business travel. > > > > Anyways, engineers deserve something, if not a > > good salary… haha! > > I would fire compliance officer at that company > the first thing. Cisco and Google are what they are because they don’t have people like you in compliance, hope you understand what Google actually means by “Don’t be Evil”!!!