Facebook Depression

sparty419 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Aah…the Kazakh and Singapore girls was from a > life I wish that would have never ended, but I > jumped into the whole CFA+MBA bandwagon and never > been able to replicate that life…haha… but > looks like some of the other people I know are > still continuing that life, that’s what made me > depressed…But I mean, like you said, happiness is > all relative…if you are self-satisfied, then > externalities doesn’t play much of a role I > guess…but unfortunately, we live in a time where > you are judged by how big your house is and which > care you got and how much money you got in the > bank…I am a guilty party to that as well…not > gonna be a hypocrite… Don’t worry so much, these thoughts are better reserved for mid-life crisis in late 30s, currently just focus on that local chick… haha!

hahaha…yea…i need to work on my gym conversation skills as well…few pretty birds showed up today…

Sparty… by any chance, were you in Oil Firm before this?

Sparty, remember those FB pictures when those folks are bagging groceries and eating cat food at 80 because they can’t afford anything else.

^ Not really, because they will comprise the majority of the population and your kid’s tax dollars will support them.

I see a lot of kids taking trips and updating their FB status when I come home after 12 hour days. I know for a fact these kids don’t have jobs and are just kind of sitting around being worthless. I just think that it must suck to have a debt to equity ratio greater than one. LIKE A BOSS

I have a big house, nice car, decent bank account, wonderful son. And yes I post facebook pics of vacations and such. Am I happy?- Not really. Money/travel/nice things don’t necesarilly make a happy man/woman. My son is what keeps me going. BTW I know plenty of people who present themselves as people who they are totally not in real life, it’s all BS, when I see their posts- and I laugh.

L3BeatIt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BTW I know plenty of people who present themselves > as people who they are totally not in real life, > it’s all BS, when I see their posts- and I laugh. Lol I know kids like this too. One kid I know from school got a job as an FA for Charles Schwab or some shitty Advisory shop. Literally every day he updates his status about how much money he is making and how “ballin” he is. You would’ve thought the kid won a nobel prize when he got an “office offer” (i.e. finished training) in a suburb of Orlando, Florida. If he has any clients, I’d hate to be them. Kid graduated from school with a <2.5 GPA. All the while, my friends at McKinsey, GS, JEF, MS, BoAML rarely if ever update their status about work and never update in regards to how much cash they’re pulling in (certainly multiples of our Talk to Chuck friend). I rarely update my status now and post pictures maybe once every 13 weeks.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sparty, remember those FB pictures when those > folks are bagging groceries and eating cat food at > 80 because they can’t afford anything else. On the flip side, what good is having a shitload of money in your 80’s and never using it and enjoying life. Is life really about leaving all that money to the kids? That being said, in the interest of full disclosure, I’m a penny pincher and try to save everywhere I can. My dad on the other hand makes a pretty good living but can’t save for sh*t, and seems to have a cooler life than I do.

mp2438 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > On the flip side, what good is having a shitload > of money in your 80’s and never using it and > enjoying life. It’s no good at all. Stay in shape, save your money be ready to retire at 40. I have friends who have an apparent love for their occupation and I am jealous of them. I haven’t found what I could do for a living that I would love, so in the mean time I think it makes sense to keep exploring while making as much money as possible. Don’t get me wrong, I go on vacation. I just go to Maine (family cabin) instead of Monaco.

@Bernanke…I was going to get into one, but never did…why do you ask?

^ That was just a guess on Kazakh & Singapore connection :)!

Hahahaha…well…I would seriously love to explore a career for a short while in the energy industry in Kazakhstan…it’s definitely an energy related country and from what I have heard Reliance (besides other energy companies) has a huge set-up there and many of the Kazakh’s I knew talked about Mukesh Ambani. Plus, I was reading that country has been making investments left and right into developing the energy sector and been opening up the economy as well. So, large potential for the future in the country I would say. Only two things would deter me from going there, the cold weather and I am a vegetarian. Singapore on the other hand, it’s going to be my retirement place.

^ Your plan seems good. But, beware, don’t get hitched… or you won’t be going out of here anytime soon… haha, seriously, I’ve seen this happening before! Anyways, I’ll be settling in here, in Mumbai. Just want to spend my twenties (up to mid 30s max) outside, so much I wish that life takes me to Kazakh for a while, I heard it’s a hedonist’s paradise… haha!

mp2438 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > higgmond Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Sparty, remember those FB pictures when those > > folks are bagging groceries and eating cat food > at > > 80 because they can’t afford anything else. > > > On the flip side, what good is having a shitload > of money in your 80’s and never using it and > enjoying life. Is life really about leaving all > that money to the kids? > > That being said, in the interest of full > disclosure, I’m a penny pincher and try to save > everywhere I can. My dad on the other hand makes a > pretty good living but can’t save for sh*t, and > seems to have a cooler life than I do. I got the impression from the OP that his “friends” didn’t really have the money to be taking such trips all the time. If you make decent coin, no reason not to treat yourself well. If you wipeout your savings to take $7,500 vacations though, the time will eventually come to pay the piper. It really comes down to personal priorities though. Some people don’t care what tomorrow has in store for them. I like knowing that if the sh1t hit the fan tomorrow, my family won’t have to worry about the bills getting paid (at least not for many, many months).

higgmond - I’m the same way, but my dad has that hustling immigrant mentality, and is of the strong belief that you bust ass initially in your 20’s, save up your few pennies, then enjoy life in your late 30’s, 40’s and so on. You never know, you could end up getting sick into your 50’s or 60’s then the money is no good. Once your kids are grown and out of college, you reap the rewards to your hard work. Note, he didn’t pay anything for my education, but I think once you’re in a position to satisfy your family’s needs (and possibly set aside some money for your children’s college fund), what else do you need the money for? Go buy that benz, yacht, whatever. Enjoy.

So I just reopened my facebook to promote a side business I run. Does anyone have knowledge of using facebook as a ‘website’ for their own business or commercial enterprise?

create a fan page. you can use the new groups feature as well to promote the business to a select group of people.

sparty419 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So many people seem to be having a good time in their > lives, travelling all over the world, going to > beaches, exotic locations (one friend travelled to > fuckin helsinki, wtf) and all multiple times… I was in Helsinki this year too, and now I’m gonna hit the beach in Mexico in a week. Also his year was Shanghai, Bejing, Seoul and Kauai, ha sorry to make your feel worse! :smiley:

purealpha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sparty419 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > So many people seem to be having a good time in > their > > lives, travelling all over the world, going to > > beaches, exotic locations (one friend travelled > to > > fuckin helsinki, wtf) and all multiple times… > > I was in Helsinki this year too, and now I’m gonna > hit the beach in Mexico in a week. Also his year > was Shanghai, Bejing, Seoul and Kauai, ha sorry to > make your feel worse! :smiley: You’re probably not living paycheck-to-paycheck though and wiping out your savings each time you take a trip.