facebook exodus

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > NakedPuts Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > needhelp Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I do love myself and respect myself for never > > > opening an account on FB. > > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite > > > > or > > > > http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28694 > > loser No seriously, start another thread mentioning that you don’t have a FB page. Because this is the first time I’ve heard about it.

are you saying everyone you know has a FB account? are you in your late teens?

needhelp, I think NakedPuts is just trying to commend you for being so original. Trust me - we never tire of hearing how unique and independent you are.

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > are you saying everyone you know has a FB account? No, I never implied anything close to that. I never mentioned that topic. I don’t know why you’d bring it up. > are you in your late teens? No. I was like you a few years ago. “I’ll never join FB, it’s stupid and for kids”. However, I have since joined and seen the error of my ways. It’s been a generally positive experience. I have complete control over how much information I share. I’ve connected with a number of people with whom I’d lost contact. If you don’t want to sign up, fine. I couldn’t care less. But don’t go around telling people how proud you are that you haven’t signed up, and that this someone makes you a better person. That’s just ridiculous. It’s almost to the point of sounds like the people who say “Oh I don’t want a Blackberry”. That’s fine if you don’t want one, but don’t bad mouth people who do.

This is tragic.

+1 to NakedPuts

I think there are some people who don’t sign up because they know that there really aren’t that many people who would want to be their “friends.” I suspect needhelp may be a member of this group.

NakedPuts Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > No. I was like you a few years ago. “I’ll never > join FB, it’s stupid and for kids”. However, I > have since joined and seen the error of my ways. > It’s been a generally positive experience. I have > complete control over how much information I > share. I’ve connected with a number of people > with whom I’d lost contact. > > If you don’t want to sign up, fine. I couldn’t > care less. But don’t go around telling people how > proud you are that you haven’t signed up, and that > this someone makes you a better person. That’s > just ridiculous. It’s almost to the point of > sounds like the people who say “Oh I don’t want a > Blackberry”. That’s fine if you don’t want one, > but don’t bad mouth people who do. think about all the time that you are wasting on facebook - you could double your presense on AF instead and reach the number of needhelp’s postings

cfa2grunt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think there are some people who don’t sign up > because they know that there really aren’t that > many people who would want to be their “friends.” > I suspect needhelp may be a member of this group. +1. true enough. but my main reason is that we are becoming too much of an internet society. why dont you add me as your friend in person. also, life moves on, so should you.

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > but my main reason is that we are becoming too > much of an internet society. why dont you add me > as your friend in person. I have a friend who makes the same dumb argument that technology is counterproductive to personal relationships. I’ve found very good friends from the past on facebook, friendster, linkedin, etc. over the years that I would never have talked to again in my life if it weren’t for the internet. Also, with the internet and cell phones I get to communicate with my parents several times a day instead of once a week or less. My parents get to communicate with their parents, who live across the country, and their brothers and sisters, some of whom live in another hemisphere, in real time, all the time, at very low costs. Compared to today, we were living in cocoons 15-20 years ago.

^^ that may be true, but the quality of communication has deteriorated. firstly, i bet you talk to your parents/siblings on the phone less than you would if we didn’t have this technology, meaning the overall quality of communication and in turn the quality of the relationship will be close to similar if not worse off. secondly, the new relationships created with old friends you are contacting on facebook, friendster, etc are similar to those relationships you’d make if they were complete strangers, b/c thats what they are when you “re-contact” them, strangers. so you end up having superficial relationships with people who you used to know instead of going to social events and meeting strangers face to face and building real, long-lasting relationships of value. the time spent messaging old friends is a waste unless you’re going to see them all the time. otherwise, you could be out actually socializing with your community members. social networking is good for the sharing of photos, video and audio but is not a replacement/substitute for face-to-face communication. texting will make us and our children stupid and it cheapens communication. what do you remember more, an entire conversation you had with a friend recently, or the 358th text you ever received. do you even remember what any of the texts, facebook messages or emails you received 2 years ago said? you probably don’t unless they involved something that was talked about with the person face to face. i can remember 99% of most conversations i had 5 years ago but i can’t remember 20% of the emails i’ve received in the last 6 months. this movement will surely have negative effects on relationships.

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^^ that may be true, but the quality of > communication has deteriorated. firstly, i bet you > talk to your parents/siblings on the phone less > than you would if we didn’t have this technology, > meaning the overall quality of communication and > in turn the quality of the relationship will be > close to similar if not worse off. secondly, the > new relationships created with old friends you are > contacting on facebook, friendster, etc are > similar to those relationships you’d make if they > were complete strangers, b/c thats what they are > when you “re-contact” them, strangers. so you end > up having superficial relationships with people > who you used to know instead of going to social > events and meeting strangers face to face and > building real, long-lasting relationships of > value. the time spent messaging old friends is a > waste unless you’re going to see them all the > time. otherwise, you could be out actually > socializing with your community members. > > social networking is good for the sharing of > photos, video and audio but is not a > replacement/substitute for face-to-face > communication. texting will make us and our > children stupid and it cheapens communication. > what do you remember more, an entire conversation > you had with a friend recently, or the 358th text > you ever received. do you even remember what any > of the texts, facebook messages or emails you > received 2 years ago said? you probably don’t > unless they involved something that was talked > about with the person face to face. i can remember > 99% of most conversations i had 5 years ago but i > can’t remember 20% of the emails i’ve received in > the last 6 months. this movement will surely have > negative effects on relationships. +1 million. dudes, the people in your past were there for a reason. move on.

that’s a solid argument against social networking, MattLikesAnalysis, but unfortunately it won’t stick and i’ll be logging into facebook to update my status later today. different story if you had argued this face to face, with vivid gestures and eloquent voice - but on some e-forum, nah i’ll just forget it after reading a few other threads today

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > that’s a solid argument against social networking, > MattLikesAnalysis, but unfortunately it won’t > stick and i’ll be logging into facebook to update > my status later today. different story if you had > argued this face to face, with vivid gestures and > eloquent voice - but on some e-forum, nah i’ll > just forget it after reading a few other threads > today exactly. at least forums used for the purpose they were created serve some purpose but this discussion shall be forgotten entirely by november. the funny thing is that i may pass you on the street everyday mobious, and we wouldn’t even recognize eachother. when you think of it like that, its kind of creepy.

thats why i wear a name tag saying ‘needhelp’ everyday.

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^^ that may be true, but the quality of > communication has deteriorated. firstly, i bet you > talk to your parents/siblings on the phone less > than you would if we didn’t have this technology, > meaning the overall quality of communication and > in turn the quality of the relationship will be > close to similar if not worse off. secondly, the > new relationships created with old friends you are > contacting on facebook, friendster, etc are > similar to those relationships you’d make if they > were complete strangers, b/c thats what they are > when you “re-contact” them, strangers. so you end > up having superficial relationships with people > who you used to know instead of going to social > events and meeting strangers face to face and > building real, long-lasting relationships of > value. the time spent messaging old friends is a > waste unless you’re going to see them all the > time. otherwise, you could be out actually > socializing with your community members. > > social networking is good for the sharing of > photos, video and audio but is not a > replacement/substitute for face-to-face > communication. texting will make us and our > children stupid and it cheapens communication. > what do you remember more, an entire conversation > you had with a friend recently, or the 358th text > you ever received. do you even remember what any > of the texts, facebook messages or emails you > received 2 years ago said? you probably don’t > unless they involved something that was talked > about with the person face to face. i can remember > 99% of most conversations i had 5 years ago but i > can’t remember 20% of the emails i’ve received in > the last 6 months. this movement will surely have > negative effects on relationships. Couldn’t disagree more.

Like anything else in life, FB and AF, email and tweeter are what you make them. I don’t and I don’t think that the majority of people use FB as a replacement for face to face interaction. Some people I’ve lost touch with not because I didn’t care about the relationship, but because I was young, people move, things happen. I recently met up with a childhood friend that I haven’t seen since I was in elementry school. I may not remember every exchange we’ve had on FB, but I will remember that brunch we had in NYC a few weeks ago and will continue to meet up with her when I make my way to the city. without FB, that reunion wouldn’t have been possible. Is it not possible that FB is complimentary to face-to-face interaction and has actually improved and/or rejuvenated relationships? When it comes to people that are so adamant about proving themselves right, I know that I’m prob just wasting my time, but maybe someday you’ll realize that you were all worked up over nothing. If this is all it takes for you to be proud, then I’m not sure I want to be around when you really do accomplish something in your life.

that seemed like a well-rounded and coherent argument, convincingly supported by empirical examples until it culminated in “if this is all it takes for you to be proud, then I’m not sure I want to be around when you really do accomplish something in your life”, at which point i felt the discussion left my grasp and transcended into philosophical depths beyond my reach

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > that seemed like a well-rounded and coherent > argument, convincingly supported by empirical > examples until it culminated in “if this is all it > takes for you to be proud, then I’m not sure I > want to be around when you really do accomplish > something in your life”, at which point i felt the > discussion left my grasp and transcended into > philosophical depths beyond my reach your on fire today. anyway guys, take it easy. i am not awesome just because i dont have FB. there are other reasons as well. i know i should probably be more careful telling you guys all about it so as not to make you feel bad. here’s to facebook!