Fail, Band 1

Would this be just for those people that didn’t show up to the test on exam day?

No. You have to actually show up and complete the exam for your results to be graded and included in the “banding” percentiles. If someone scored a Band 1 they would have been better off not taking the exam. Nobody who puts in a serious effort would score a Band 1.

That’s true. This also means that the pass rate doesn’t include no shows.

I dont believe it does include no shows or people that walk out. So plenty of people do fail band 1. I cant imagine they studied too much, but maybe some.

even if ppl dont study much theres always a bunch of them who hope that bcos its a multiple-choice exam, the result could with luck swing their way

but at the end there is always a Band 1 and ‘Band 1 Types’

To clear up a few things: 1. No shows are NOT counted, and will NOT affect the curve at all. You must sit for both sections. 2. Band 1 just means you were the bottom 10% of those who failed. It’s doesn’t mean you bombed the whole thing So statistically speaking, dumb guesses should get you a score of 33%. So you can very well get one-third of the exam correct, and still fail Band 1.

No shows still count in the pass rates, right?

@Chuckrox8. You mention “Nobody who puts in a serious effort would score a Band 1.”. This can be a true statement but this may not be the case. It is possible that there may not be a significant difference in preparation between someone who filed in the top bands with someone in the bottom bands. There are a lot of things in play here- preparation and effort of course but also nerves, luck (topics asked and answers selected), mental state of the candidate while taking the exam… Moreover it is possible in some years that the difference between the top and the bottom bands can be less than 10-12 questions. The bands are relative and not absolutes and nobody knows how close they are, on a different day the situation can be reversed. Think about that!

Pgiger Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > No shows still count in the pass rates, right? No shows do NOT count in the pass rates

Would you take this exam if the condition for passing is to *not* get more than 12 questions right? That is you must get 108 questions wrong?

meshed Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Pgiger Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > No shows still count in the pass rates, right? > > > No shows do NOT count in the pass rates That is a question I get asked a lot. It would be useful in marketing ourselves. How do you know that to be true?

^ its there on the cfai website somewhere…

meshed Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ its there on the cfai website somewhere… Pretty sure it’s in Frequently Asked Questions.

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > No. You have to actually show up and complete the > exam for your results to be graded and included in > the “banding” percentiles. > > If someone scored a Band 1 they would have been > better off not taking the exam. Nobody who puts > in a serious effort would score a Band 1. some confusion here…band 1 does not mean u scored 10% correct on the exam in which case the above statement is valid but rather that you scored on the lowest 10th percentile of candidates …if everyone got 100% and you got 90% you are band 1 …

Dreary Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Would you take this exam if the condition for > passing is to *not* get more than 12 questions > right? That is you must get 108 questions wrong? The answer is no. That would be a harder exam…just in case anyone cares to know the answer.

Dreary Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dreary Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Would you take this exam if the condition for > > passing is to *not* get more than 12 questions > > right? That is you must get 108 questions > wrong? > > > The answer is no. That would be a harder > exam…just in case anyone cares to know the > answer. I disagree. If you were able to get the right answer you would certainly be able to “get it wrong” so it would be the same. In normal circumstances however if unsure on a question, in my case anyways, you can usually eliminate one of the three answers and then try to narrow down between the remaining two, even guessing at 50/50. If you had to get wrong you would be able to avoid that 50/50 chance of getting it right, therefore “improving” your score.

haha, i wouldn’t believe it. to fail band one means you pretty much didn’t study and just rolled the dice on every question

sunilmails Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > @Chuckrox8. You mention “Nobody who puts in a > serious effort would score a Band 1.”. > This can be a true statement but this may not be > the case. It is possible that there may not be a > significant difference in preparation between > someone who filed in the top bands with someone in > the bottom bands. There are a lot of things in > play here- preparation and effort of course but > also nerves, luck (topics asked and answers > selected), mental state of the candidate while > taking the exam… Moreover it is possible in some > years that the difference between the top and the > bottom bands can be less than 10-12 questions. > The bands are relative and not absolutes and > nobody knows how close they are, on a different > day the situation can be reversed. Think about > that! A Band 1 fail means L2 tore you a new one. We’re talking about the BOTTOM 10% of scores. I’m theorizing, but I would think that Bands 7-10 are fairly concentrated just below the passing score. Bands 7-10 are probably separated by less than 6 questions. I’m sure the scoring distribution looks relatively normal/“bell shaped”. The candidates who receive a Band 1 score likely: 1) Hardly studied, but their company is paying for the exam so they’re checking out the scenery. 2) Barely passed L1 and thought L2 to be the same difficulty. 3) Screwed up their scantron answering sheet…that would suck On an absolute basis, if the passing score is a 65 a Band 10 fail is probably a 63-64. A Band 1 fail is probably a 40. Plenty of people bomb the absolute $h!t out of L2.

It would be fun to see the distribution by band. My guess is band one is as low as 31-32%; and yes, I am aware this is below the expected value of guessing at random.