Failed Level 2 Band 9; Is there any sense in taking CAIA Level I in the meantime ?

Sept 2011 exams. I am told 6-8 weeks is enough preparation and cannot bear the thought of spending another whole year with no additional qualification. Plan to start studying again for Level 2 June 2012 by Nov 2011. Any thoughts on the CAIA attempt ?

I’m on a similar boat as you, and I signed up. I’ll be taking it in september.

Do it, you’ve got plenty of time. I took CAIA Level I in March right before I took the CFA Level II the first time and passed CAIA failed CFA, took CAIA II in March right before CFA II and failed the CFA passed the CAIA. If you take the CAIA in September you’ll have plenty of time. Now I’m done with the CAIA I’ve got a whole year to prep for the CFA. NO EXCUSES

I would do the CAIA aswell but dont have that money to spend :frowning: Is the CAIA hard relative to the CFA? thx

Oh and best of luck to you MissCleo … I know you are working really hard!

Alladin as far as relative difficulties, the CAIA I really isn’t that hard, easier than CFA I. The CAIA II is pretty damn tough. I’d honestly say as tough as Level II of the CFA, maybe a little easier. This seems to be the general sentiment in the CAIA forums. I failed the CFA II Band 8 this time with barely 2 months of half assed prep. I basically had to study for the CAIA II for a year straight including failing it once. It’s no joke.

MissCleo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Alladin as far as relative difficulties, the CAIA > I really isn’t that hard, easier than CFA I. The > CAIA II is pretty damn tough. I’d honestly say as > tough as Level II of the CFA, maybe a little > easier. This seems to be the general sentiment in > the CAIA forums. I failed the CFA II Band 8 this > time with barely 2 months of half assed prep. I > basically had to study for the CAIA II for a year > straight including f MissCleo…dont know much about CAIA but is it valued by the industry…i mean what are its prospects??

MissCleo, what materials did you use to prepare CAIA 1? I’v bought the course textbook ‘An intro to core topics in AI’. Should I buy Schewser material as well?

I’m in the same boat as everybody… I got my text… but also have schewser notes. I think its a good supplement to the actual text… But mind you the reading is quite dry BUT short… I already read scheweser once, and in the process of reading the text. I heard… just like CFA I you need to do a lot of questions… I’m gonna get on that once I finish the reading. Good luck!

Focus. What do you want it for? Are you just trying to collect designations, or does the CAIA/CFA combination really add value to what you want to do?

I passed Level II last year and took Level I of the CAIA in September. It is completely possible to pass comfortably studying for 8 weeks. The schedule in the Scheweser texts lays it out pretty accurately, but as a CFA candidate you won’t need to spend much time on Ethics. So, that’s an instant time savings. Several items crossover so you will likely get through the material more quickly. I put in 150 hours.

CardShark Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Focus. > > What do you want it for? Are you just trying to > collect designations, or does the CAIA/CFA > combination really add value to what you want to > do? I’m trying to move up from a small consulting shop to a big one. When I see the big firms like NEPC’s list of employees: http://www.nepc.com/about_us/our_team They’ve all got the CFA/ CAIA combo. I figure that’s where I want to work I gotta get both. Got my CAIA, now just gotta finish the CFA.

MissCleo, I’ve heard mixed reviews on actually working at NEPC. I’ve known a few people who have left there becasue it really was a tough place to work. I’m not in that side of the industry (I’m a pm), but I’ve heard enough anecdotaly that I’d be concerned. I know you didn’t say you were specifically trying to work there, but just in case you were. -bigML

CAIA is a good program in terms of the subject matter. It’s very interesting material. I’m repeating level 2 in September. Level 1 is doable with about 6-8 weeks of solid study. It’s not ideal preparation but it gives you a decent chance at passing. Level 2 is tough, and not to be taken lightly.

MissCleo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Alladin as far as relative difficulties, the CAIA > I really isn’t that hard, easier than CFA I. The > CAIA II is pretty damn tough. I’d honestly say as > tough as Level II of the CFA, maybe a little > easier. This seems to be the general sentiment in > the CAIA forums. I failed the CFA II Band 8 this > time with barely 2 months of half assed prep. I > basically had to study for the CAIA II for a year > straight including failing it once. It’s no joke. I failed level II cfa band 10, then did CAIA level one. The material for level one is interesting I think, and there is hardly any material that is too unfamiliar to difficult. The bit of math that you do get is very complimentary to CFA level II. You have time to do it if you have a couple hours a day to study. I found CAIA level I helped me with the CFA level II alternative questions, and with the fixed income stuff. I thought the level II cfa exam had some pretty difficult ALT and FI material this year… you really had to know your stuff to do well. I’m signed up for level II CAIA for september… The material is pretty challenging, and has math that most folks probably aren’t really familiar with. I have had way too much fun this summer and am way behind in the books… I say go for it, strike while the iron is hot.

big ML Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > MissCleo, > > I’ve heard mixed reviews on actually working at > NEPC. I’ve known a few people who have left there > becasue it really was a tough place to work. I’m > not in that side of the industry (I’m a pm), but > I’ve heard enough anecdotaly that I’d be > concerned. > > I know you didn’t say you were specifically trying > to work there, but just in case you were. > > -bigML Interesting ML, I’d like to work at either some big state pension plan as a full time employee, or a Watson Wyatt, NEPC, Cambridge Ass. type shop. I like what I do know but it’s for much smaller pension. What was so bad? Not enough work? Too much bitch work, not enough manager contact? A holes that work there?

I’ve heard its rather political and difficult to move up the ladder…and probably some a holes too

In addition to what AndrewUNH put forth, which is all spot on, there was a lot of repetativeness to the job in some positions. Consulting isn’t my cup of tea anyway, but just relaying info from people I know.

I’m registered for Level 2 now. I just took Level 3 CFA and believe that I have failed. My plan is just like yours, need to get a qualification stat because I will apply to B-School this fall and need to show them that I have learned something since I graduated.

Waoouh, I’m impressed by this company (NEPC) team profiles. Damn !!! lot of combinaisons of MBAs, CFAs and CAIAs. I’m working in Europe, do these guys really outperforms their competitors in consulting business ?