Feeling overwhelmed?

Anyone else…and how are you dealing with this? Will be done with Corporate Finance 1 tomorrow…worried if I will be done with all reading by 1st week of May…then review for 4 weeks. Am starting to get real tired…Dec level 1,not a good feeling at all…tried to watch some comedy, but this worked just for a minute. Oh my !!!

i don’t feel overwhelmed, but wot I would like tell you is …start putting in 4-5 hours on weekdays and 8-10 hours on weekends… This way you will complete one reading of curriculum by April end. Then solve CFAI end of chapters and some tests… I know its little daunting …but possible. Give it your best shot ! Now is not the time to think or get overwhelmed…Just attack… Set small milestones and achieve them…2 readings / day or something like tht track your progress daily and don’t slack…

1 Like

“never, never, never, never give up” - w. churchill

i was under the impression that everyone would be done with schweser readings by March end. Its good to know that I am not an outliar, just managed to finish equities & AI and FI & derivatives

hey, we’re going at the same pace. I just finished SS8 tonight going in order. You’re more ambitious than me though, I don’t think I’ll finish until mid may… I’m not feeling overwhelmed, but then again I haven’t even looked at equity or fixed income. If you’re feeling really tired you should think about taking a few weekdays off from studying and recharge a bit. You’ll be able to make it up when you’re more alert…

I studied from 5:30 until 1am last night. I am behind :frowning:

2 days break and I feel fresh today. A little break, does do wonders, indeed… Might start FI today. The virtual stuff you know MBS, CDO’s, CMO’s…

Youtube Jim Valvano @ ESPY

sameeragarwal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i was under the impression that everyone would be > done with schweser readings by March end. Its good > to know that I am not an outliar, just managed to > finish equities & AI and FI & derivatives You may well be an outliar but not an outlier.

Just as a reference to those of you like myself that aren’t putting in anywhere near 4-5 hours on weekdays and 8-10 hours on weekends - it’s not as much about the quantity of studying that you do as it is the QUALITY of the studying. If putting in 2 hours per day on weekdays gets you through 1 reading a day, but you retain 80% of it, that’s a lot better than spending 4-5 hours on two readings and retaining 20% of it. I personally go through 1 reading per day (sometimes it takes two days if its a long reading). I like to think I’m retaining 80% of the material I read. I’ll be done mid-April with my first (and only) pass through. The rest of the time will be spent doing open-book practice tests on Qbank, reviewing secret sauce at work, and then the mocks. It drives me crazy that everyone feels the need to rush through the material so quick only to have to go back and read it all again. Everyone has their own ways of studying, so don’t feel discouraged because others are already “done with the first pass”. Do what works for you.

1 Like

For the record, I hate L2. There is a LOT of information. I’m almost done going through the material and I feel like I haven’t retained much. There’s just so much to remember. It definitely feels overwhelming, but I’m confident I’ll know my stuff come test time.

1 Like

I completely agree with jdane416! … outright completely!

I was reviewing FSA yesterday (for second pass) and I realized I got burned out. So I am taking three days off my regular study and then attend the Stalla’s free workshop on Saturday. Don’t get discouraged though. L2 isn’t meant to be a push over exam like L1. It’s also not how fast you crunch through the materials that matter, it’s how much concepts you can retain in memory that counts. If you feel tired, take some time off, it works for me. :slight_smile:

Thanks folks for looking out…

Just read a few hours a day and do a few exams and you should be fine. I passed the Level I in Dec with a month’s worth of studying. No big deal really.

msmithmyer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just read a few hours a day and do a few exams and > you should be fine. I passed the Level I in Dec > with a month’s worth of studying. No big deal > really. Did you have a finance BS, MS, or MBA? Have you worked in industry for a few years? Otherwise, that’s the type of attitude that’s going to get you annihilated on Level 2 and Level 3 - and it is not indicative of Level 1 for people who haven’t spent thousands of hours already in school or work in finance. I got a 760/800 GMAT and 1500/1600 GRE and I still find this material difficult to cover adequately in a reasonable time (less than thousands). I’m not saying I’m the smartest in the world, but I think I’m pretty decent academically, at least, and I find this stuff no walk in the park. Not many people are going to think you are smart by saying misleading things about how easy the CFA exams are, especially the ones who are feeling the full brunt of it right now. Also, don’t aim to pass, aim for >70% on all sections. That’s a bare minimum in my book if you want to be a competent professional.

1 Like

Here is what I posted over at the CAIA forums regarding “uber geniuses” and their attitudes, like msmithmyer: sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Make sure to account for testosterone bias > concerning number of hours spent. > > N(actual of hours spent/expected) = > (testosterone bias) * N(publicly stated hours > spent studying) > > I suspect: > 2 < (testosterone bias) < infinity ------------------------------------------------------- He’s not fooling anyone but himself - that type of attitude is why the pass rates and CFA completion rates are so low.

replace “and it is not indicative of Level 1 for people who haven’t spent thousands of hours already in school or work in finance.” with “and your level of effort for Level 1 is not typical of people who haven’t spent thousands of hours already in school or work in finance.”

>I got a 760/800 GMAT and 1500/1600 GRE Man you are a genuis. Are you MENSA too?

^ what is the worth of MENSA? that’s only top ~2% (~130+ IQ) of the population - many people here on AF would very easily ace any lowly MENSA exam some examples: nirjraina, bchadwick, JoeyDVivre, plyon, mo34, JOE2010, JohnThainsLimoDriver, numi, squirrel.master, needhelp, and on and on (i’m not including a lot because i don’t want to spend much more time)