Financial Mathematics Exam -society of Actuaries

How useful is the exam - financial mathematics conducted by the society of actuaries- from the perspective of getting an ‘investment risk’ kind of job, considering i have passed my CFA level 3, exam p/1 probability and have 10 years experience in IT- ‘application development/systems analysis/project mgmt’. thanks, Chandran gangadharan

Less than 0. If you were ASA or FSA it would have some value but not particularly much (and certainly not worth the effort because FSA is an achievement). Writing that on your resume would look a little pathetic because there are so many people in the field with advanced degrees in math, stat, physics, etc. and your resume would state that you passed an exam in applied high school mathematics. Stick with CFA. If you need another exam go with PRM/FRM. If you are interested in being an actuary take actuarial exams.

FRM - is1 exam…approximately how many hours preparation does it require? PRM - is 4 xeams… Do these exams significantly improve the likelhood of my being interviewed for a ‘risk mgmt’ job ? thanks, Chandran

Joey, I am entering my final year of undergrad, and I took the FM exam this past May. I’m also a CFA level 1 candidate. Would it still be damaging to put the FM exam on my resume?

Whoa - Rambozo isn’t out of college and hasn’t taken any exams. Satyam just passed all his CFA exams and has 10 year’s work experience. That’s quite different and I don’t think you guys are competing for the same jobs.

Whoa - Rambozo isn’t out of college and hasn’t taken any exams. Satyam just passed all his CFA exams and has 10 year’s work experience. That’s quite different and I don’t think you guys are competing for the same jobs.

satyam Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FRM - is1 exam…approximately how many hours > preparation does it require? > PRM - is 4 xeams… > > Do these exams significantly improve the likelhood > of my being interviewed for a ‘risk mgmt’ job ? > > thanks, > Chandran I think with your IT skills they do (there is no chance for you to get a job in risk management in which you will not be using those skills since risk management involves so much data processing). Actually, send me e-mail at joeydvivre@yahoo.com with your resume.

Joey, i’m sending mine too.

I ama CFA level 3 candidate - earlier i had incorrectly written that I had passed the exam. sorry for that. Chandran gangadharan

Does not affect my conclusion. You and Rambozo are still in a different place and the FM exam won’t help anything. The FRM or PRM exam might…

I was looking at the PRM website and if you are a CFA charterholder you get a “pass” on the first two levels of the PRM exam, leaving you with only the two “easiest” and shortest tests of the four to pass.

if they said, “passing all 3 CFA exams” gives you exemption, i might consider PRM. but it will be years before i can become a charterholder assuming i even pass L3. i need the knowledge now and i need to get rid of any formal examinations as soon as possible to start focusing on practice.

passing level III is sufficient for the exemption of PRM Exam 1 and 2. I asked and got confirmation.

Hi JoeyDVivre, I have emailed you my resume. The advice I am looking for is what skills do you think I should try and brush up on - like C programming or …and anything else that you think may be useful to me. For the right experience I am more than willing to volunteer my time. I have read a few of your postings and found them all very blunt and meaningful. I cant say I have had a much above average career so far but still think I am significantly above average intelligence, relatively strong verbal skills and am more motivated than ever to excell. thanks again and ever appreciative of your candour, chandran

Very blunt, huh? Probably I should work on that… OK I’ll send mail.

satyam Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FRM - is1 exam…approximately how many hours > preparation does it require? > PRM - is 4 xeams… yeah, but FRM is 1 long exam (with morning and afternoon sessions) and PRM is 4 short exams which can all be taken on the same day (or not, your choice) so the length of the exam/exams is roughly comparable. Plus, if you have the CFA charter, you’re exempt from 2 of the 4 PRM exams

This is what I like about the PRM - 2 exemptions after passing the CFA, no annual fee, tests that can be taken on any day and results that come back in 2-3 weeks. You can’t beat that…for approximately 600 bucks (including study materials) I can put the PRM on my CV for life.

This is what I like about the PRM - 2 exemptions after passing the CFA, no annual fee, tests that can be taken on any day and results that come back in 2-3 weeks. You can’t beat that…for approximately 600 bucks (including study materials) I can put the PRM on my CV for life.

i’ll stick with my FRM. there is no turning back now.

Which one has more clout amongst practicing risk pros?