Fitness - a zero sum game

My physical fitness and mental fitness appear to be a zero sum game. Since starting to prepare for this exam I have gone from the best physical shape of my life to just average. At the same time I have gotten a little better with the mental side. There is no doubt by game day I will be jaba. Hopefully that will be sloppy enough to pass this exam. : )

I find that this analogy works on a daily basis as well. On any given weeknight I have to make a choice: Do I want to have a good workout, or do I want to have a moderately solid night of studying? If I hit the weights with any sort of intensity, I have a hard time concentrating on CFA stuff afterwords. If I go straight to the books, I feel like crap for not working out. That said, I moderate this process by running every morning. I find that if I don’t get any exercise at all, I start to feel to sh!tty to even care about L3 CFA.

it’s the other way for me…in order to improve my retention and as a means to fight the market and CFA stress…I do my Yoga and gym routine with more discipline these days. I may be smart do the videos while I practice yoga:) So don’t experience the guilt like McLeod81

I started gaining weight considerably and 10 more weeks to go. I probably need to spend 2 months after L3 exam loosing all the weight i am gaining now.

For me, the main problem with doing both the same night is that both activities take up a considerable amount of time (which is limited of coarse). I substitute by not sleeping much, but I need at least 5 hours of sleep in order to function properly.

McLeod I have exactly the same problem, but I find that I don’t work out enough, I don’t study enough, I am always tired and because of lack of sleep I am more stressed and get sick more often. Feels like I get nothing done.

florinpop Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > McLeod I have exactly the same problem, but I find > that I don’t work out enough, I don’t study > enough, I am always tired and because of lack of > sleep I am more stressed and get sick more often. > Feels like I get nothing done. Take some multi-vitamins and keep making time to work out (at least a couple times per week). I’ve been taking some male multi-vitamins and I seem to feel a lot better than I did at this point last year.

bought some multi vitamins and multi minerals plus some ginseng ( the liquid stuff) and I am working at fighting this period. we’ll be fine by june

i’m a fat fck. back to the gym in mid june… i just can’t find the time for it…

You guys should ask yourselves, WWLADIHCWB? (What would Lance Armstrong do if his collarbone weren’t broken?)

Yeah, I’m gonna go all-out in starting June 13th.

My guess is +20-25 lbs by test day. It will take me 1.5 months to lose it.

I’ve been notching up my early morning push-up and frog-jumps to 60 and 100 respectively. Then a physiologist told me it’s not in the numbers I do once, but how many times a day I can workout regularly… This week, got bogged down with malaria, so the workout is frozen for now…I try to stop eating after 4pm every day, my sleeping is no more than 4hrs, but thanks to my boss’ perception of my performance at work, she overlooks it when she catches me nodding off once a while…

I’ve definitely deteriorated. I am lucky though in that I have time sometimes to go down to the gym while at work… thus leaving the evenings free. Last year I didn’t gain any weight really, but I got slow and lost a lot of athleticism. It took me about 2 months of hard work after the exam to get back where I wanted to be.

Captain Windjammer: LWNHWTTTIS. TIHES!

i’ve aged about 20 years during this program. I haven’t worked out a day since I started; luckily I’m still in replacement phase (replacing muscle with fat) so I’m not gaining weight, but I’m sure that’s right around the corner. I’m now addicted to coffee, my teeth are stained yellow, and I have a bum hip from lugging these GD books to and from work. I get winded playing for more than 2 minutes with my daughter. Please somebody tell me it’s worth it…

florinpop Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > McLeod I have exactly the same problem, but I find > that I don’t work out enough, I don’t study > enough, I am always tired and because of lack of > sleep I am more stressed and get sick more often. > Feels like I get nothing done. That’s exactly how i feel.

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My physical fitness and mental fitness appear to > be a zero sum game. > > Since starting to prepare for this exam I have > gone from the best physical shape of my life to > just average. At the same time I have gotten a > little better with the mental side. There is no > doubt by game day I will be jaba. Hopefully that > will be sloppy enough to pass this exam. : ) I think the correlations are positive not negative- exercise, at least for me, definitely improves cognition, and focus

No doubt about it L3Beat, but with work, wife and two boys (3 and 1 years old) something has to give. I wish I had the time to workout too.

If you want to get in the best shape of your life try P90X. I lost 50lbs (185 down to 135). 90 days of intense 1 hour home-fitness routines (6 days on, 1 day of rest per week) and of course eating right. I am on my 4th round of it and I never get tired of talking about it!