FML...

I lost my drivers license. I don’t have a passport. I’m screwed. I’ve gone to the DMV and gotten a new driver’s license started, but the state of Texas has recently switched ID formats and now has a serious backlog of IDs to make so they are not offering any expedited services for any reason whatsoever. They said at best it will be 6-8 weeks before the ID arrives. I called begged and even attempted to bribe… nothing. So my next option is getting an expedited passport. Luckily, I currently live in Houston which has a regional passport office that can do next day passports. But just my luck, you have to have proof of travel within the next 14 days to be eligible for this option. Which I don’t have. I need either a plane ticket, airport travel itinerary, or a letter from work detailing business travel. What do I do now? The only thing I can think of is to ask my relatively cool boss to put together a fake letter for me, but that seems shady and asking for trouble. Or to buy a ticket that I have no intention of using. Any suggestions? Other forms of ID? I’m f*cked aren’t I?

can you get a state issued id? (not the drivers lic.)

1. Schedule a vacation with a departure of Sunday Morning (ie Passport will need to be in your hand days prior). 2. Take vacation and enjoy the days of freedom from studying.

ask your boss to help.

Here’s what I would do: I’d call up my American Express Travel Services number, tell them I wanna go to Toronto on May 24th. Then I’d have them send me an itinerary with the airline and seat info and cost and all of that, but not book it. You just tell them, I’ll call back, send me the itinerary. It will be on hold for you, which of course you wont book. Then print it out, take it to the passport place and viola, travel itinerary complete with airline, seat assignment, all the stuff you would have if you were going to check in to fly… I am assuming you have some sort of travel service in your company…

take a picture of your Bvtt.

CF_AHHHHHHHHH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I lost my drivers license. > > I don’t have a passport. > > I’m screwed. > > I’ve gone to the DMV and gotten a new driver’s > license started, but the state of Texas has > recently switched ID formats and now has a serious > backlog of IDs to make so they are not offering > any expedited services for any reason whatsoever. > They said at best it will be 6-8 weeks before the > ID arrives. I called begged and even attempted to > bribe… nothing. > > So my next option is getting an expedited > passport. Luckily, I currently live in Houston > which has a regional passport office that can do > next day passports. But just my luck, you have to > have proof of travel within the next 14 days to be > eligible for this option. Which I don’t have. I > need either a plane ticket, airport travel > itinerary, or a letter from work detailing > business travel. > > What do I do now? The only thing I can think of > is to ask my relatively cool boss to put together > a fake letter for me, but that seems shady and > asking for trouble. Or to buy a ticket that I > have no intention of using. > > Any suggestions? Other forms of ID? > > I’m f*cked aren’t I? I too live in Texas, they should have given you a temporary ID. There is no way they will send you on your way without a license. You should be able to use the piece of paper and an old license or passport if you have it.

Get a State ID issued - which is the replica of a Drivers licence and has photo and D.O.B on it.

Ask your doctor to write you a note for some medical procedure that needs to be administered out of state.

Do ya’ll think the state issued ID turnaround time will be quick enough? I would think that it would probably come from the same place as the driver’s license and thus be backlogged as well. Anyone have experience with these? Thanks for the idea guys (and gals), I’m already exploring several of them.

damn, i feel bad for you. i know for a fact that airlines will “hold” your reservation for x number of days, especially for international itineraries. they will specify how long they will hold your reservation for and will charge you X % of the price if you go over. i have done this in the past with british airways, northwest-klm, and american airlines. you can use the reservation as a proof of travel for the passport application (confirm this with them though). i have used such proof of travel to get travel visas numerous times.

You have to go to your state DMV office and get it issued. Usually it is done in few hours.

For Travel Itenary - Just call a ticket agent and “BLOCK” a flight ticket for you and then apply for Passport. You can then go ahead and cancel your hold

damn dude sux. I would give TvPM’s suggestion a try.

Or just book a flight for a refundable fare, and refund it.

State ID is out… 6-8 weeks :frowning: Calling travel agent now to see about the block or hold on a ticket… thanks again ya’ll

Ok, potentially good news: I called an ex-girlfriend who’s mom is a Travel Agent. The mom always liked me so she said she was happy to help and is going to get me a travel itinerary that says i’m leaving the country for free. So now all I need to do is schedule an appointment with the regional passport office and pay whatever ridiculous fee is involved to get the passport expedited. Keep your fingers crossed that everything works out! Thanks for the help everyone!! *Oh and as an added bonus… the ex wants to “catch-up” sometime soon… booya.

Dude just call the CFAI and ask them your best bet… they should be able to help you… Ask if you can bring your grandmom to the test to identify you as really you… grandmoms dont lie

You can get an express passport processed - check out the Dept. of State website. Good luck!

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You can get an express passport processed - check > out the Dept. of State website. > > Good luck! http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/schedule/schedule_852.html Sub is right. You might pay a little more, but at least the passport is good for 10 years. With SL depreciation it’s not so bad.