Food Prices Up Like Crazy?

It has to do with the conversion to ATP and the usage of oxidation. I personally am not married to any diet but i do like to experiment and i have found substituting grains for higher fats provides more energy and I dont feel / look as bloated. Now, it must be noted grains and carbs are not synonomous. I do consume carbs, albeit lower than the avg person.

Supyogov…answer your goddamn phone…no homo. It’s gmat related.

Fiance and I spend about $100 a week on groceries, and one of us is often not home for a couple of days each week. There are many things I will skimp on before I skimp on quality food. I don’t want to be eating ramen in a lambo.

On the grains thing, I think it is different strokes…It is a fact that breads, grains, pasta, sugar and other carbs that require processing in order to consume are largely “empty” calories, meaning that they do not have much nutritional density compared to carbs that do not require processing like vegetables and fruits. It is also a fact that the fact they are at the bottom of the food pyramid reflects more about American farming interests than the optimal way to eat (which probably varies from person to person).

I eat fewer processed carbs than I used to, but I still eat one at most meals. Lately I’ve been on an Israeli couscous, pasta and quinoa kick. I just use smaller portions.

I call it “whole paycheck”

If you like quinoa, you might like buckwheat. Very underrated grain that’s good for you…

The reason my monthly totals are so low is probably a function of low COL, shopping smart (I use Costco/Sams when its worthwhile), etc. There is definitely some eating out on top of that but I don’t think it would exceed $100 in a normal month. I mean for me, breakfast is always cheap. Lunch is usually leftovers from dinner. Dinner normally alternates between pasta with sausage, grilled chicken or burgers from the BBQ. Chicken is my main protein mixed with either pasta, couscous, rice (with like indian or thai sauce), etc.

krnyc2008, let’s go get some soba, since neither of us are really into caviar anyway.

Good choice. But my original answer still holds;)

Numi could try breaking up witih his girl over the weekend. Or he could just bring her along. It’s just soba.

IME it’s never “just soba”

I think a new AFism was just born. It’s never just (the tip) soba.

I don’t see how you guys can eat for less than $100 a week unless you are eating garbage food. I must eat like a horse. $100 is $10 a day on average with two $15 meals somewhere else during the week which is basically what it costs to eat at a sit down restaurant on the low end. $10 a day does not get you all that much even if you cook in bulk like I do and shop at the cheap grocery store (Trader Joe’s FTW).

you’re right…it could be the best soba you’ve ever had :slight_smile:

Or it could be a “sobastory”… :wink:

Family of 4 in a mid-COL metro $200/week on groceries. And I spend about another $45/ week on lunch. That’s up probably 30% over the last 3 years. But there’s no inflation. Keep those printing presses going.

I don’t really pay much attention to prices, but have noticed that milk has gotten ridiculously expensive (at least the organic crap with Omega-3, gotta feed the kids’ brains), as have grapes (could be a seasonal thing).

The variation in milk prices is surprising. I can buy a gallon of milk thats the grocery store brand for about $2.75, but the organic stuff is near double that.

Milk is so expensive these days. Say hello to “partially hydrogenated dairy food product.” Hey, at least it’s white!

The organic with DHA Omega-3 is $4 for a 1/2 gallon, insane.

Beef and milk come from the same place. If beef prices increase, milk prices will too.

It’s the organic and DHA that are driving the price to an insane level. A gallon of “regular” milk costs less than 1/2 a gallon of the organic DHA. I’m not an ogranic foods nut, but given the kids’ ages and the amount of milk they drink, I’d rather err on the side of caution in this case. Thankfully it’s not a budget-breaker, but still bothers me how much of a price difference there is.