Food Prices Up Like Crazy?

http://m.cnsnews.com/news/article/ali-meyer/price-ground-beef-hits-all-time-high

Alberta (Canada) is a big exporter of beef to the US, but unfortunately your protectionist types in the west decided to slap a “NOT PRODUCED IN U.S.” label on all imported beef products. They call this “country of origin labelling.” As a result, I’ve heard amongst the ranching community they’re cutting back exports to the US as ranchers up here don’t want to export into a market that prices their superior product below an inferior local product (not to mention many stores just won’t carry imported beef now as it won’t sell becaues its a dirty Canadian product). Instead Canandian ranchers are increasing exports to Japan, China, Hong Kong and Europe. Some projections show us moving 25% of our beef exports to China in coming years, which would in turn represent a roughly 2.5% decline in the US beef supply.

And it’s not an inconsequential piece of your beef supply chain, we’re talking about 10% of US consumption was sourced from Western Canada prior to these new rules.

So that’s probably a big piece of your price problem when it comes to beef, protectionism at its finest. Your ranchers will be thrilled down there, congratulations on screwing the consumer for rich landowners.

I think you’ll find when you look hard at food price increases, you’ll find a strong agricultural lobby pushing some of the biggest subsidies and protectionism you’ll see, at the consumer’s expense. That applies whether you’re American, Canadian or European. It’s the same everywhere.

I’m sure producers from Brazil, Argentina and what not are also experiencing similiar price discrimination and are reducing US bound exports as well.

Something like 70% of the corn in Iowa, the nation’s largest corn producer, is used to produce ethanol. We are basically putting our food source into our fuel tanks. That is why food prices are skyrocketing.

agree with Bromion. we’re at $800-$1000 a month easily for a family of four. we don’t waste much but eat quite well. lots of fruit, veggies and chicken. some fish. that amount would include some sales tax. very little ground products. maybe once a week eating ground meat. no processed meats or dinners in a can, box, etc.