For any american expats currently living in Dubai....

Would you move there if you had to do it all over again? Basically, I was approached about an opportunity from a very credible recruiting agency - but after doing the research, reading articles like the Dark Side of Dubai and watching a torture tape that was leaked to the U.S. networks - I am thinking “NO”.

I’m not from Dubai but I can tell you confidently that this place is going down the toilet of history as a failed attempt to re-create Las Vegas in the middle of the Persian desert. Dumb idiots ! Instead of doing something of value these fat bastards want to enslave Indians and flip condos for a living.

my mom’s cousin lives there now and i just talked to her. she says she hates it there.

A buddy of mine just got back from a 1 year teaching job there. He regretted every second of it.

It is like being on some evil , soulless planet.

Seriously - thanks for the responses. This confirms a lot of what I have been reading: 6 months a year of 100+ degree temperatures, along with sand storms, greed and slavery - all located within a sea of hotels and malls.

Crowd mentality is dangerous in any kind of discussion. Many here are just reiterating what someone else says, without them knowing the facts. I have been there many times. Everyone envies that county for what it did, especially that most of the success in Dubai is not oil-based. The kinds of housing you find there is something 90% of Americans do not enjoy here in America. The streets, the shops, the attractions, the schools, hospitals, etc, is beyond what we have here in the U.S. These are facts that should make you pause. Hundreds of thousands of tourists come throughout the year from Europe, the U.S., Japan, Australia; I wonder why they go there if it’s as horrible as some here say! Not to mention the fact that about 70% of the population is foreign. If there is one dream shared by every Indian, it is to live in the UAE. Now you may resume your clueless programming.

i live in abu dhabi which is neighbouring dubai and i think its a gr8 place to be…i have been brought up in this country and its pretty much home to me…but then again it depends from person to person …but i can assure u tht most claims abt dubai are exxagurations and lifestyle in dubai is surely far better than most places in the west. regarding the economy i think most non real estate sector firms are doin fine but i wud surely suggest tht u do sme research abt the company tht u are abt to join unless its a wellknown MNC…cuz no doubt some firms are in real trouble…

A friend of mine is consulting with Mckin. in Dubai and he likes it. Granted, he is travelling 80% of the time and only spends the weekend in Dubai. I would like to do something like that, a 2-3 year stint then moving on.

Are you white ? If yes you will get paid more and treated a little better than most other people of colour i.e people from the Indian sub-continent , other arab countries , Philipines n other parts of asia . Even if you have the exact same qualifications and experience . That being said its not as bad as some people make it out to be . I grew up there and have a lot of friends that are still there and they seem to be doing ok . The best way to find out is for you to visit and see for yourself . That way you can experience everything from the ridiculous heat and traffic to expensive clubs, hotels, hookers and desert safari’s.

Dreary Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > . Everyone envies > that county for what it did, especially that most > of the success in Dubai is not oil-based. What exactly have they done ? Nothing of value. Building a new Disneyland in the ME with borrowed money is nothing to brag about. Bunch of fat clowns, I hate them ! >The > kinds of housing you find there is something 90% > of Americans do not enjoy here in America. > True if you’re from Mississippi or Louisiana. > The streets, the shops, the attractions, the > schools, hospitals, etc, is beyond what we have > here in the U.S. Again, you need to step outside of Mississippi. > If there is one dream shared by every > Indian, it is to live in the UAE. > This statement is so disrespectful for the Indians that I hope one of them will step up and defend his race. For your information, 50 years from now India will probably be a superpower while the fat bastards flipping condos in Dubai will be fighting over drinking water. India is the largest democracy on the planet, how does that compare to the useless “royals” littering the Gulf ?

Thanks everyone for your input - the actual job in Dubai is a good opportunity, but it would be a stretch position for me. There is basically no middle ground here - it could either be the best decision I ever made or the worst decision I ever made. Unlike a lot of people, I am pretty fortunate to have a good thing going right now with my current situation. To throw it all away on a “this could possibly work out pretty well for me” is just not enough. The expats that I have spoken to have all repeated the same thing: “the standard of living, the malls - we are in the lap of luxury here”. Don’t get me wrong - I love a high rise with a great view and I can shop until the cows come home. I do that now. However, I need a little more substance in life and I can’t just hang my hat on a facade of glitz and glamour knowing that it was all built by people (some who did not survive) that were held against their will and paid less than $1 an hour.

And you get the daily view of slaves (from southeast asia etc.) being boarded up in buses, being paid $1 per day and living in concentration camp like conditions with their passports stolen so they cant go back home.

Skylar Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > … knowing that it was all built by people (some who did not survive) that were held > against their will and paid less than $1 an hour. You sounded intelligent enough until you said this! You are clearly taking propaganda and hate speech for real…that statement really made me laugh. Thanks. Re mo34, I have also been to India a few times, and I can assure it is far, far from being a super power anytime soon, with that many mouths to feed. I like Indian people and I think many of them are extremely intelligent and friendly, I have no issue with that at all. But the last time I checked, all kinds of Indians are lining up to get into the UAE. Another major point to consider, it isn’t easy to get a job there…there is just too much competition with all kinds of talent available in the world, that you have to be the best of the best to get a good job there.

Dreary Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Skylar Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > … knowing that it was all built by people > (some who did not survive) that were held > > against their will and paid less than $1 an > hour. > > You sounded intelligent enough until you said > this! You are clearly taking propaganda and hate > speech for real…that statement really made me > laugh. Thanks. > Trust me, I take everything with a grain of salt. Unfortunately (but fortunately for me), I have seen the videos - including the torture tapes. The camera doesn’t lie my friend. Marcus is right.

skylar, how would you like it if other nations took our numerous unfortunate videos against us? Incidents such as the Rodney King and many variants thereof videos, the Abu Ghraib prison videos, Mexican workers videos, plus the many accounts of ill treatment received by black people and others…and all of that, then made the stupid conclusion that all Americans are horrible people? Not very bright thinking I would say.

Dreary Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > skylar, how would you like it if other nations > took our numerous unfortunate videos against us? > Incidents such as the Rodney King and many > variants thereof videos, the Abu Ghraib prison > videos, Mexican workers videos, plus the many > accounts of ill treatment received by black people > and others…and all of that, then made the stupid > conclusion that all Americans are horrible people? > Not very bright thinking I would say. Ha Ha you must be high to compare any illtreatment/ racism in the USA to Dubai. Aint no Human rights orgs or ACLU in that part of the world.

Dreary Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > Another major point to consider, it isn’t easy to > get a job there…there is just too much > competition with all kinds of talent available in > the world, that you have to be the best of the > best to get a good job there. Is this a joke ? why would someone successful in NY, London, San Fransisco, … want to move to Dubai ? For the malls, are you kidding? The only expatriates who move there are those who can’t compete in the US or Europe. I have yet to see someone coming from the UAE and landing a job in NY or London, this is probably due to the useless experience they get by working there. To make a long story short, if you’re white, have no family or friends and no other interest in life than shopping malls and you feel that your career hit a wall in the US, move to Dubai. If you still have any hope left of making it big in the civilized world, don’t do it, it’s professional suicide.

Its common practice in Dubai to pay a White person from a Podunk university or even high school three times a Top Engineering/ B school non-white person.

@ MO34, I think that is right and wrong. The same person I keep referring to turned down BB IB offers to work in Dubai, granted he has family in the ME and being a consultant based in the ME takes you to some awesome places.