For any american expats currently living in Dubai....

1. Dubai has a tendency to gloss over its faults, so even when we were in the middle of the Real estate burst, official media was hailing how great Dubai was… 2) Many British expats love it in Dubai, because as someone posted above, they have everything their way. Most of them would never return to the UK voluntarily where would be “just another guy” 3) Similarly for Indians, the ones who are desperate to go to Dubai are the ones who wouldnt generally hack it in the UK/USA. Very few graduates of the IIT/IIM end up in Dubai initially simply because they will be told to accept a salary based on their color. That said, there are many smart Brits/Indians here who would have made it anywhere.

Dreary Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- I don’t know, but whenever I > go there, I see lots of happy people all over, > while here I see more and more deteriorating > conditions and disgruntled folks over here. Beats > me! Stumped! Is it because you are “visiting” Dubai and so are more likely to see things through positivie glasses? Most people here dont smile, move around with a scowl on their face, and dont say “please/thank you etc”. Where did you find so many happy people here, outside the bars that is ?

As far as I know, people from different part of India seem to like different countries. South Indians seem to prefer US. Many go there for higher studies. North Indians prefer UK or other European countries. Punjabis in particular like Canada and UK. Lots of laborers from both North and South India go to Middle East. [Observation of an immigration officer] But then again, my sample is again limited to what I’ve read and seen.

I am an Egyptian; however, I did not like this discussion. lot of the posts here were ignorant and of no knowledge at all .I think the last who have the right to talk about torturer are the Americans (I don’t deny that still admire USA ) ,by the way the lowest percentage of crimes in the world is in Dubai ,and the tallest building in the world is not going to be a ghosts building as already 90 % of it have been sold .

why would you revive such a thread?

most of the stuff written here is somewhat truthful.the place is a shithole when it comes to treatment of labor.

there is a clear racist heirachy at the begining which while breakable is still a disgrace in this day and age.

dubai is an awesome place to visit and perhaps stay for a couple of years but there is a distinct lack of energy and ‘soul’.