Formulas:Do's and dont's

Any idea which are the ones to be retained amongst the plethora of formulas we have for Level-1? Can we limit the scope to the Schweser formula sheet and ignore the rest? I am going bonkers- at last count, the number of formulas on my cheat sheet stood at 563!!

I was being overwhelmed with many of the formula’s, and even worse is understanding how a change in one variables effects the outcome. I have been using core-models to review many of the formula’s. It definitely helps! They are currently offering a free model on their site. Hopefully you find them helpful. Another thing that would help is doing a lot of Q bank questions over and over and over. Eventually you will memorize all the formula’s you need. I don’t see any other way around it, you can never know what will be presented in the exam. It is definitely tough. Good Luck

I also recommend just learning through repetition. There are a lot of formulas in the CFA that you wont use, but its better off to know them anyways. Don’t waste a lot of time on memorizing formulas, spend more time on applying them. It will drastically help with retention.

dont need to memorize the ones you already have on your calculator. such as PV, FV, NPV,IRR, combination and permutation, acc depreciation. definantely know bond equivilant yeaild it’s always on there.

Does anyone have all the important formulas to know for the exam online or in a document? It would really save me time if someone has already put all the formulas together and posted it online, as opposed to me wasting time making a formula sheet myself!

hahaha…brafique: if someone has put in a lot of hardwork, precious time and energy in preparing a formula sheet, it is highly UNLIKELY that person will had it over to you just like that - makes sense??? Wud you??? I dont think so!!! If you r in the habit of relying on others hardwork, u need to rethink about going for CFA, ya? BTW, it will not be a waste of time for you in preparing the formula sheet. If you do it yourself, you will automatically understand and most probably remember quite a few…try it.

^ It’s just a listing of all the formulas. What’s the big deal? They are in the back of the Schweser books anyway, it would just be convenient to be able to see them on my computer instead of opening up the books everytime.

Oh How Soon They Forget: Hey imranmir1 Posted by: imranmir1 (IP Logged) Date: February 7, 2009 12:01PM Hi, I am looking for past questions and/or some question banks for practice. I would do the sample and mock tests administered by CFAI but I need some now…Any help wud be greatly appreciated. Thanks. --How is brafique asking for formulas different than you asking for questions? And did you ever just buy QBank from Schweser or are you still trying to scam your way out of that. I hate to do this but you shouldn’t be so critical of someone looking for help.

I agree jjenkins. Imran, first of all, we are not writing text messages so get rid of the “wud” and “r”, “u” and “ya”. Second, you are the one that tried to scam QBank so “STFU”

hahaha…jjenkins, thommo: you dont get it, do you? How is it wrong in asking for Qbank. It is not that somebody has prepared the Qbank himself/herself. You have only pasted part of that thread…I have also asked the question if PURCHASING the Qbank can be termed unethical as I saw quite a few ads at Ebay and elsewhere on the internet. Also someone directed me to the Schweser site, and I plan to do that once I complete my curriculum, hopefully, next week. My asking for Qbank is totally unrelated to this thread. Also, you guys ignored my ‘advice’ to brafique to prepare the formula sheet…that way he will better understand the formula and the concept…:))) I guess, he is used to spoon-feeding… STFU u too…whatever that means…

BTW: IF YOU HAVE GOT THE CONCEPT RIGHT, YOU WILL AUTOMATICALLY REMEMBER THE FORMULA…For guys, who are used to cramming things up, need a ready made “formula” sheet and think that just by memorising the formula n inputting the data into a formula, they will get the answer…

wow

imranmir1, I think its better if you cut your losses right now bud. Thommo77 I haven’t made any formula sheets, I am using schwesers end of book formula summaries. You should take a look at schweser’s quick sheet, its pretty handy.

the only formulas I wrote out onto a formula sheet were the various ratios and what group they belong to. It helped me to see them all together and find similarities and relationships among them. I was also getting confused as to when to use avg. and when to use total. basically the avg. is only involved w/ Balance Sheet figures. Turnovers, and any common size BS & IS formulas should be intuitive (anything over total assets, total revenue), replace all dupont versions with the extended version and know that one inside out. a few others i’ve managed to memorize through application and repetition (port var, put/call parity, super growth). I literally kept writing the formulas on a scrap sheet and repeating them out loud while I was going over the readings and practice problems…and in the shower…and while driving…and in the hallways…etc. etc. I’m not knocking any other methods. that’s not what I understood this site to be about. but it seems frustrations are rising out there! in a few months we’ll look back on these posts and only then will we be experts on what worked and what didn’t! good luck all - keep plugging away!

Wise words slorte, some good techniques I might use to. Thanks.

imranmir1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > hahaha…jjenkins, thommo: you dont get it, do > you? How is it wrong in asking for Qbank. It is > not that somebody has prepared the Qbank > himself/herself. You have only pasted part of that > thread…I have also asked the question if > PURCHASING the Qbank can be termed unethical as I > saw quite a few ads at Ebay and elsewhere on the > internet. Also someone directed me to the Schweser > site, and I plan to do that once I complete my > curriculum, hopefully, next week. > > My asking for Qbank is totally unrelated to this > thread. Also, you guys ignored my ‘advice’ to > brafique to prepare the formula sheet…that way > he will better understand the formula and the > concept…:))) I guess, he is used to > spoon-feeding… > > STFU u too…whatever that means… I think you should watch your attitude…stop being critical of others when they ask help. it was never directed specifically to you. watch it dud!

FinPaul - your comments accepted. I didnt mean to offend anyone. We all r in the same boat!!! But if someone calls you STFU (I really dont know what it stands for, ok…FU makes sense, whats ST for?)…what do you do? We see a lot of guys taking out their frustration in this forum…I also induldged in that a bit…!!!

I have been in this forum long enough. Many have helped me and I have also tried my best to help others in whatever way I can…mainly by answering Qs etc. But the attitude shown by that gentleman…“as opposed to me wasting time making a formula sheet myself!”…Oh Mr Big Shot, we dont want YOU to waste time, heres my formula sheet which I prepared with a lot of hardwork for you so that YOU do not waste anytime on it…There is a more decent way of asking for help, I feel…period!

For anyone who has taken calculus, I think the formulas are important to memorize and using derivaties (mathematical definition) to see the change in direction for different variables. I am guessing probably half of the posters here actually had to take it in undergrad though, as I know most business degrees dont require rigorous quant. I think it is most helpful though. And ST means Shut The… Up. the rest is self explanatory.

Basic internet jargon. STFU, think about it, shut the fuck up. Back to CFA studying.