Getting laid off :(

Hi guys, Its been a long time between drinks. I couldnt get access to this site! Really soppsopsopsposospsspiii was banne dfor no good reason in my opinion. Anyway, it looks as though Im going to get laid off next month, or sooner!!! Things are not looking good and they told me to look for other opportunities. Market hasnt developed as expcted, its really contracted. For those who don’t know im doing transfer pricing in one of the Nordic countries at a big 4. I like the job so its a real shame. There really isnt much out there since I dont have lots of experience and i cna only speak english. Im also trying to look at corporate finance work (m&a etc) although this will be hard to get into as well without the language and no direct experience. Although my current work is somewhat transferable. So im really not sure what to do now. I cant leave here because of my girlfriend, she has over 1 year left to study. But I cant live here without a job, and I dont want some crappy job. I was really hoping to stick this one out for 2 to 3 years, but ive only had 16 months experience. Only positive that I will get 3 months pay after termination, got to love those nordic laws. Anyone got some words of comfort for your old creepy pal sopppospoppsopsopsii?

soppisoppi…chin up mate. Start networking your @ss off while you await your fate…you have a good resume (L3 candidate right?) and some solid experience. There are good jobs out there for guys like you. You have time to find another great job - one month, plus your 3 months of severance.

Thanks thommo. Yes I am an L3 candidate. But my main problem is my experience I think. I havent been bunkered down in one thing long enough. I have previous experience as an accountant for 1 year which I did in a nordic country straight after university, really just so I could be overseas and travel. Was with a small boutique. Then PWM experience as an analyst for a year at Goldman back home. And now this job for 16 months now. Im thinking of leaving the first job off my resume, what do you guys think? If anyone asks about the gap I could just say I spent the year travelling after University. Too much job chopping and changing there! and not long enough at one place.

sososospsosposposposspospoisoisoisopsiposiposiopsiposisopispisisp! Missed you round these parts. Just consider the fact that if this employer finds out about you leaving off your first job they will question your other claims (or lack thereof). I would say just list and have a great answer ready to fire off if they ask. Sucks man, but you’re smart, you wont have trouble finding anything. Just got a work a little harder. Maybe you can move to Amsterdam and become a red light district “tester,” provide your “services” for a small percentageof the registration fee to ensure “quality and parity amongst experiences.”

Hey Getting laid off is never fun but spin this on the positive side…you will have another month before getting laid off +3 months pay that puts you to almost June (Mid May). if I were you, I would start looking for jobs for starting date of after Level 3, and take the time to study my ass off and ace this exam. Honestly it might be a blessing long term because you can really concentrate on getting level 3 done and look for a job at the same time. I am not sure what sort of situation you are in financially but if you can afford it maybe take summer off and travel after the exam and start a new job in September… anyway keep your chin up and look at the glass half full not half empty. With every door that closes another one opens my friend.

Sorry man, but if I were you I would probably take a little bit of a break and concentrate on passing level 3 this year as well as networking.

Soppi’s real problem is the immigration status.

sorry hear that dude but to start looking for a job after the test in june is a very dangerous and not so smart idea. do you know it takes at least 4-5 months to find a job in a “normal” economy?? i wouldn’t do it…people who have jobs, families, kids, pregnant women pass L3. I mean the people who have more reponsibilities and problems in life. passing L3 is not a big deal. and think about the downside, what if you only study and fail? you can do both, study and look for a job. you can also do networking on the side. make cold calls good luck!

nequity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi guys, … > > Anyway, it looks as though Im going to get laid > off next month, or sooner!!! Things are not > looking good and they told me to look for other > opportunities. Market hasnt developed as expcted, > its really contracted. > > For those who don’t know im doing transfer pricing > in one of the Nordic countries at a big 4. > … Didn’t you go by the name “maddane” or something similar in the past??? I feel as if I’ve heard this about “big 4” in the past… hm-hm. Anyway, you could join this http://www.civilekonomerna.se/portal/page?_pageid=40,40391&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL before you’re actually laid off and then draw on their programs, network and job boards. You’ll have to decipher the content yourself. In any case you could call (address here) http://www.civilekonomerna.se/portal/page?_pageid=34,36365&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL and ask for advice and/or contacts in *your* country assuming it’s one of the neighbouring ones. Best of luck.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Dont think I will sit around and not look for work jsut to study for L3. As itstoohot says, it takes time and Ill be financially drained then. Its going to be hard enough to find anyhting, so Ill have to take my time.

Waiting around until your severance runs out before looking for a job is really bad advice. A lot of people took that approach in 2008-09 and are still looking today.

nequity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks for all the advice guys. > > Dont think I will sit around and not look for work > jsut to study for L3. As itstoohot says, it takes > time and Ill be financially drained then. Its > going to be hard enough to find anyhting, so Ill > have to take my time. That’s why I said look while studying, and I also said I am not sure how your financial situation is! I would start looking now if I were you and if you do get a job offer try and negotiate a start date of after the exam; that way you get to study for L3 and have the security of a job when time comes…and enough cash to live on from your severance package for time being. Remember starting a new job and studying is going to be extremely difficult as you have to prove yourself and work extra hard at the beginning with any job. Not to mention the initial learning curve with a new job.

Yeh, a later start date would be great! may give it a go but will take what I can get. Luckily I am not paying again for this level, as they said theyd pay for my enrolment and books, so thats all sorted, already been reimbursed! Great thing was they gave me 2 weeks! yes 2 weeks study leave for it. Not sure too many other firms will be willing to do that. On a side note apparently in our german office they give 4 weeks off, unbelievable! Ideal would be they lay me off, then start paying me for the next 3 months they are obligated to and that very nex day after they lay me off I get a new job. DOUBLE INCOME!!! Although maybe I have to tell them or something, if I get a new job, don’t know how it works. Ive actually spoken to an investment bank here (they are looking for analysts/associates) apparently they are swamped with work now. Although because of this they want people with direct experience in corporate finance who can get started right away. But hopefully its a sign the economy is picking up.

nequity: What city are you from?

Anyone who ever built an empire or changed the world sat where you are right now, and it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it.

Assuming you want another job, you should try to find something ASAP. It will be much harder to get a job when you are unemployed. This is why your employer is giving you advance notice.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Anyone who ever built an empire or changed the > world sat where you are right now, and it’s > because they sat there that they were able to do > it. Love the move! “How come you never got married? Well, uhhh…”

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Anyone who ever built an empire or changed the > world sat where you are right now, and it’s > because they sat there that they were able to do > it. is that supposed to be encouraging? I never figured it out during the movie

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Anyone who ever built an empire or changed the > world sat where you are right now, and it’s > because they sat there that they were able to do > it. +1 nice call

nequity, I could point you to a potential treasury consulting job in the nordic area, since you mentioned corporate finance. If you are interested, let me know your email. I worked for this company’s office in singapore.