Going 3 for 3

If you took each level once and passed, but took a year off in-between levels for whatever reason, does that still count towards going 3-for-3?

Yeah. It’s like a hitting streak in baseball. Missed games don’t count as an attempt.

The new 3 for 3 is doing it in 18 months (Dec, June, June).

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The new 3 for 3 is doing it in 18 months (Dec, > June, June). There are alot of us on here going for that. I don’t really care how quickly I pass Level III or how many attempts etc. I think the big thing is just being able to pass. It’s funny you use the baseball analogy because the whole process feels like a big baeseball game at times. Level I and II are for the starter, get through em OK and Level III is sort of a reliver/closer game. I hope I am my own personal Rivera on June 7th! I think I would just rather watch a game than go back to reading about corporate governance…

Doing it in 18 months allowed my company to highlight it in the quarterly newsletter to clients… Maybe its a bigger deal for an entry-level newb than a seasoned pro who’s just adding icing to the cake

no… a true 3 for 3 is to do it in 18 months

With no wrong answers…anywhere!

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING!

turkish_dude Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > no… a true 3 for 3 is to do it in 18 months Negative. 3/3 means never failing a level. No more no less.

Chuck Norris went 3/3 in one day

Going 3/3 really doesn’t amount to a hill of beans. Everyone’s circumstances are different. Something like life happens, which can include work, new addition to the family, marriage/divorce, death in the family, etc. I went 3/3 but taking the test in June each time. Does it make it less valuable than someone doing it over 18 months? Nope. One could easily argue that doing it over three June sessions is more valuable because as you progress in your job you can actually learn real applications of the material, rather than just learning the CFA way of doing things. Those individuals who like to talk about doing it 3/3, whether three years or 18 months, are, for lack of a better word, odd. Maybe even demented, if you think it means you are somehow superior to the next bloke who has same charter.

so did eliot spitzer ha ha

nycjdc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Those individuals who like to talk about doing it > 3/3, whether three years or 18 months, are, for > lack of a better word, odd. Maybe even demented, > if you think it means you are somehow superior to > the next bloke who has same charter. Totally agree. Seems like a high-school level discussion really. I would say the only thing that possibly could make your charter special, is if you got a letter from the CFAI indicating that you’re the first ever to get 100% on a test. Now that would be cool.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nycjdc Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > Those individuals who like to talk about doing > it > > 3/3, whether three years or 18 months, are, for > > lack of a better word, odd. Maybe even > demented, > > if you think it means you are somehow superior > to > > the next bloke who has same charter. > > Totally agree. Seems like a high-school level > discussion really. > > I would say the only thing that possibly could > make your charter special, is if you got a letter > from the CFAI indicating that you’re the first > ever to get 100% on a test. Now that would be > cool. Mike Huckabee could do it. He didn’t major in math, be he sure as heck majored in miracles!!!

i think 3/3 in 18 months is kinda being superior lol i mean if you take an exam 25 times, you’d pass it eventually even if you ara a moron, not to mentione that you have studied for it approximately 25 times more than an at once passer. and of course there may be circumstances, for example u may have missed the exam bcoz of an emergency, or something like that. that shouldnt make u inferior though. lol anyway. I am just teasing. in fact myself took level 1 4 times and level 2 7 times. so I am the last person to claim supeiority for 3/3.

this is sort of like the Tiger Woods Slam discussion…the man held all 4 major trophys in golf at one time and people question whether it is a grand slam because they didn’t all occur in the same calendar year…puh-leeeeze If you sat down for the three exams and passed each one the first try, you are 3 for 3…this math should be fairly straightforward to a level 3 candidate

Passing the exam in 3 years is like a no hitter. Passing it in 18 months is a perfect game.

I think what really matters is what you end up doing with your charter. If you passed in 18 month by memorizing Shweser secret sauce and solving as many Qbak questions as possible before the test (I know people who did just that), I doubt that your charter will make much of a difference in the real world. Only few of us will end up actually managing money, and for me that would be the ultimate measure of success in this process.

"Going 3/3 really doesn’t amount to a hill of beans. Everyone’s circumstances are different. Something like life happens, which can include work, new addition to the family, marriage/divorce, death in the family, etc. " Couldn’t agree more, nycjdc . Some other questions: 1. What if you got a hold of all CFAI texts, Schweser, Stalla, read all posts on AnalystForum, etc. and then studied really hard for all three levels, spending 10,000 hours over five years…then went on to take all exams and pass 3/3 in 18 months? Does that count as being superior? 2. What if English weren’t your first language and you had to learn English before going 3/3 in 18 months. Does that count as being superior? 3. What if you had an 85 IQ and went 3/3 in 18 months? Does that count as being superior to a person of 160 IQ going 3/3 in 18 months? 4. What if you were blind, deaf, had to prepare reading Braille, then go 3/3 in 18 months? Superior? 4a. What if you were blind, deaf, didn’t have fingers, had to read Braille with your stubs, then go 3/3 in 18 months? Superior?

3/3 is definitely something to take pride in. It means you never failed. If that’s not important to you, then you’re too comfortable with failure. It’s not worth jumping up and down about, but you can look in the mirror and say, “I got it done.” That’s what some of you don’t get. It’s not about comparing yourself withother charterholders, or running your mouth about 3/3. It’s about holding yourself to a higher standard, and then living up to it.