Got 6 weeks off - enough for Level 1?

I have some holidays booked up so I am going to take them off all at once so I can concentrate on the level 1. I have the CFA curriculum - all 6 books but it seems a lot. Not difficult just a lot of work. Was wondering would I be able to go through all the material in 6 weeks (no work as taking holiday) or should I also invest in the videos from Schweser?

6 weeks? Someone is going to come on and say if you really focus you can get it done. I am not that guy. I think you are setting yourself up for a big FAIL. 6 weeks=42 days, you would have to study about 6hrs per day everyday to get in ~250hrs…not including time for practice exams and questions…sorry dude, good luck but I am putting my money against you, that is why most people allow 4-6 months…

IT depends… what kind of background do you have? If you have a strong finance background it can be done. I do think 6 weeks is enough time if you were to put in 6 good hours every day. The problem is most people cannot and will not do that. Hence the reason to start early, this way lull periods won’t kill your chances. If you have any lull periods in your 42 days I’d say your chances are shot. Good luck!

6 hours a day? I was thinking more along 9 hours a day solid. Then that leaves me about 6 weeks before the exam (when I am back at work) to do exam prep. Workable?

I have BA Economics and Msc in Comp Sci and been in Finance for about 5 years. I am not coming from left field.

Dude you gonna burn out, (Information overload in that short period of time), why not write June 09. imho

You have six weeks off to prepare then another six weeks to review and do practice exams after work and on the weekends? Plus you’re coming w/ a strong background… I think if you have a good work ethic, set up a schedule (with benchmarks) beforehand, and work a lot of problems it can be done. I would get Schweser’s books though, they are much more concise.

Maybe the comp sci will help you with your calculator… You can definitely read all the material in 6 weeks. The question is if you can actually learn the material in that timeframe. 5yrs of finance can mean anything…a Wells Fargo bank teller could say that, but his skillz arent gonna help much on the topics covered. If you have accounting experience, thats a plus. You might have an edge on econ (maybe), but there is a lot to cover in 6 weeks, and 9hrs a day is going to lead you to either burnout or the inability to digest half the stuff you try to cover…I guess I would maybe give it a shot if my employer was covering it all…but why not start before the 6wk window?! If you do take this on I wouldnt touch the CFAI texts, Schweser all the way.

oooh I didnt see the other 6 weeks. so you have 12wks to prepare (3mo), that is most likely do-able. Not ideal, but doable…I am guessing the last 6wks of prep you are going to be revisiting a ton as everyone does and putting in more time than you are anticipating. Good luck to ya!

No way dude. How the hell did you get 6 weeks off? If I did that and studied my tail off I would be drooling idiot come test time. Plus, if you fail. . . it will not look good. But best of luck. . . hope you nail it.

I m jealous…If I get off like this I ll seriously nail the exam… used to study 20 hrs/day in bachelor’s for last 30 days…

I had holidays accrued which I didnt take and have annual 4 weeks off. So six weeks in all. Just been through the quant section - will do ethics last and its straight forward - I do think the CFA texts are verbose.

I’d say go for it. What do you have to lose?

dude, dont let others bring you down. obviously you came on board here and you are part of the team. so A) good luck B) you want us to make you feel good, so i will tell you “yes, it can be done” c) reality check: YOU WILL HAVE TO STUDY EVERYDAY FROM 8 AM TO 10PM – i HOPE YOU DO NOT HAVE A FAMILY OR ARE MARRIED MAKE FLASH CARDS USE THIS SITE EVERY NIGHT TO CHECK ON CONCEPTS YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE WITH – IT WILL GET CRAZY IN HERE AROUND OCTOBER AND NOVEMBER IT IS RISKY ASKING FOR ALL THIS VACAY TIME “IN BULK” SINCE AS SOMEONE SAID, YOU FAIL, YOU LOOK WORSE THAN NOT TAKING TIME OFF AND FAILING. IN OTHER WORDS, IF YOU FAIL, BE PREPARED TO DEAL WITH A MINOR AMT OF HUMILIATION. I GUESS THAT IS ALL – GOOD LUCK. I THINK IT CAN BE DONE, BUT THIS SOR OF QUESTION NEVER REALLY GETS ANSWERED B/C 1 - SOME PEOPLE HAVE FINANCE BKGROUND, OTHERS DO NOT 2- SOME PEOPLE HAVE BETTER STUDY HABITS 3- SOME PEOPLE ARE BETTER AT TAKING TESTS 4 - SOME PEOPLE HAVE BETTER MEMORIES 5 - SOME POEPLE(LIKE I DID IN MAY) HAVE MORE TIME TO STUDY, EITHER B/C THEIR WORK IS NOT I BANKING 100 + HOURS OR THEY ARE STUDENTS KNOW THAT IT IS NOT BLACK AND WHITE GOOD LUCK, GET STUDYING, AND DONT WASTE TOO MUCH TIME/ SHUT YOUR CELL PHONE OFF. IF YOU ARE SINGLE, NO CLUBS. NO YOU KNOW WHAT. GET RED BULL. KILL THIS THING.

Thanks for that. I will be cracking on already completed 1/3 of a study session in a day - but its on quant methods which I know well. I think the derivative maths and possibly the probability I will slow down a bit.

The mind does not focus very well at that level of intensity. Really ive read somewhere that studying for more than 3-4hours is more detrimental then it is beneficial. But only you know yourself better than anyone so why not. you already payed right? Rock out.

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > GOOD LUCK, GET STUDYING, AND DONT WASTE TOO MUCH > TIME/ SHUT YOUR CELL PHONE OFF. IF YOU ARE SINGLE, > NO CLUBS. NO YOU KNOW WHAT. GET RED BULL. KILL > THIS THING. haha this is funny.

Glad to hear you are starting now. You will kill this if you crackdown now and then have six weeks off… wish I could take six weeks off. Good Luck!

i think you’re much better off booking 2-3 days off per week for the next 3 months. you’ll have 4-5 day weekends. i think you’ll get less burned out if you take things slightly slower

dont listen to those that say it cant be done. youve just got to be disciplined thats all. with 6 weeks off thats heaps of time. id kill to have that much spare time to study! just make sure you give yourself a day off at least on each of those 6 weeks, otherwise you WILL burn out.