Hand shaking question

Hope this isn’t too random a question for this forum… I’ve been to a couple of interviews recently where the interviewer has gone to shake my hand whilst I’m sat down (in lobby etc). What’s the protocol here? Do I: (a) Acknowledge interviewer with their hand outstretched, stand up then shake it; (b) Shake hand whilst sat down and looking at interviewer then stand up; © Hand-shaking stand-up combo which I pulled out of the bag this morning; or (d) Pull a funny face and run away. Thanks, Andrew

Always stand up to shake hands. Stand up, eye contact, firm grip, smile, sit down.

I would standup first. The combo might put you off-balance which would be embarassing. I would never shake someone’s hand when I’m sitting down and they are standing. I would consider that disrespectful.

I would agree, the combo is only for advanced users. The standard protocol is: Stand Smile Shake (---- not that – hand, shake hand) Once this has been practiced a few times and you feeling comfortable then you maybe ready for the next sequence. While shaking (the hand) take you left hand and gently stroke the back of the interviewers right hand and slowly change your smile to a Victoria Beckham puffy lips smile. Should work.

Definately d.

I add “1-step toward person I’m meeting after stand up”. It’s bold, but if you’re a wuss you need some different profession.

Just be careful if executing the combo that you grab the hand rather than anything else.

I’ve done option © a number of times myself and have regretted it for seeming hasty.

Hold coat/bag/umbrella/FT/investment book you happen to be reading in your left hand while in the waiting room to avoid having to juggle in case interviewer sneaks up and waits with outstreched hand.

chrismaths Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just be careful if executing the combo that you > grab the hand rather than anything else. Guess it all comes down to how bad you want the job.

I think too much creedence is given to this whole handshaking thing. If you have trouble shaking hands then you have problems.

Pink, I was born with flippers, please attempt to be more sensitive.

and I have hyperhidrosis.

------------------------------------------------------- > Just be careful if executing the combo that you > grab the hand rather than anything else. I am cracking up reading this post…lol

Always stand to shake hands. My grandmother would rip out my throat if I did otherwise.

Do you have freddie crougar for a grandmother?

solve the problem by not sitting down and pace the lobby, murmuring to yourself about “who does this person think they are…making me wait?”

The hand shake can really make or break the deal… I personally suggest crushing the interviewers hand into submission… This is also an effective tool for contract negotiations.

Put your hand horizontal and on top, the dominant position. Then smile and nod slowly like “I own you, beeyatch!”

chrismaths Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just be careful if executing the combo that you > grab the hand rather than anything else. What if the interviewer grabs “your” something else? Do you just continue on as if nothing happened?