Hedge fund manager

well if he is newbie… then he prob doesn’t know the indepth detail of the whole finance industry. I myself is a newb too, so most of these things in the finance industry is new. One would definitely read about it in wsj and magazines, but he would certainly not understand what goes along with these fancy titles. Its like asking a finance guy to write a program and name the tech terms; he wouldn’t do so well. but i agree, if its a person like pete who robbed the position away from many passioniate but yet unlucky ppl like myself i’d be angry too.

I could careless about smartass fckers like wegowaybrokeback. Apparently this fcker is wasting more space here than anyone else. This kid has lots of free time poking fingers at someone else’s anus, getting kick out of sniffing his own finger afterward. God’s curse is upon you kid. But thanks to others, I wanted to hear your opinions.

wegowayback Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > ok, so why does all this bother me? because i > come read AF every once in a while and i see a lot > of posts by people who are continually trying to > move out of ops/marketing/IT/college and into some > kind of front office investment job. and a good > amount of these posters seem sincere about it - > they’re doing the CFA, they follow the markets, > the read the wsj, etc. they’re doing their > homework and appear, rightfully so, to be > extremely frustrated by the difficulty of breaking > into the biz. but most of all, they would KILL to > get the job that pete has. they KILL for this > opportunity, and i feel bad that they get shafted > while guys like pete waste time and space. (dont > bother asking why pete still has a job, it’s a > long story) > > i mean, if i were to start a thread saying, “we > have a job opening for an analyst. no experience > required, email me your resume” how many responses > would i get? 100? 500? 1000? these > opportunities are so few and far between, and it > pisses me off to see a moron like pete occupying > one of those coveted slots, when there’s a bunch > of much better candidates out there who mean what > they say. > You’re right. I’m a recent college grad in the CFA program that pretty much matches all abovementioned criteria (fund acct, follows markets, really have a passion for the field) and I am a bit of a “softy.” I think the cutthroat mentality comes with time but you’re right. I have that cutthroat mentality but sometimes hide it b/c I don’t want to come off as a dick but I guess I should just let it out (not on my boss of course). This is a competitive business and it’s every man for himself. I can remember being a Freshman searching all the net, reading books, watching CNBC, searching job postings- to see what I had to do to eventually enter that role, etc., trying to learn everything I could about the field. Fuck the harshness, great post- I feel inspired.

I agree with Weg 100%. If Oasys (who clearly is at most a freshman in college based on his exceedingly juvenile response to Weg) can’t take the time to google “hedge fund” before asking a moronic question on a forum that is (theoretically) for finance professionals, then he deserves all the flak he gets. Show some initiative, come with a thoughtful, intelligent question, and then you can complain if someone lambastes you. I’ve actually had this discussion in the Level II forum lately where people take no time and ask moronic questions, then have the audacity to complain when I inform them of how dumb their question is. Oasys, I’m going to “go out on a limb” and say that your chances of becoming a HF manager are slightly worse than the chance that the next turd I lay gets elected president in 2008.

skillionaire, I hardly think the original question could be defined as “moronic.” The guy simply asked a forum of alleged finance professionals a question about how people typically start out as hedge fund managers. How the heck is that a moronic question? Truth is, I’ve asked some questions here that I could maybe have otherwise researched, but I know that a thoughtful question asked and politely answered on the forum could be beneficial to the–uh–READERS of the forum. Unfortunately, nobody here can read anyone else’s own research.

“I’m new to the finance world. But it seems that to become a hedge fund manager is one of the big dream a finance pros can achieve. Is that true? What other positions are considered ultimate goals for everyday finance newbies?” You’re right, my mistake. That was an extremely thought-provoking question. My head is swimming with the possible answers.

Maybe I’m just a total moron, but I would like to hear some answers to those questions. Geesh, God forbid should a person new to the finance world ask what many of the big-time finance career progressions are. I’m sure, skillionaire, you know the typical career progressions of the top minds in marketing or at the university level.

To answer the orignal questions: No, the dream of a finance pro is to make as much $$$ as possible regardless of the post.

Since I’m a good sport and know how google works, I’ll provide a useful link for you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedge_fund#Top_earners Click on any of the hyperlinked names for full bios. Kkent, I can only assume that your sentence about marketing or university was supposed to be some sort of “shot” at me, but lucky for me the wording is so convoluted that I can’t make heads or tails of it; ergo, no offense taken.

It wasn’t a shot at you at all. I was pointing out that it’s not likely that you know what the most desired career progressions in the marketing world or at universities are; hence, if there were a marketing forum and you were switching from finance to marketing you’d ask, “What other positions are considered ultimate goals for everyday marketing newbies?” Again, I’d love for you to defend stance that this is a “moronic” question.

Fair enough. I remember you from the LI forum starting this year and have no desire to argue with you about the merits of a particular post. We obviously disagree on this, but hopefully no hard feelings on either side. See you in the LII forum for June '08…

Really? You think “What other positions are considered ultimate goals for everyday finance newbies?” is a decent question? Maybe “moronic” is a bit harsh, but come on. You point to academia and marketing - I can answer this question for those fields without knowing anything about them: the “ultimate” goals are as varied as the people who enter the field.

skillionaire, we’re cool, man. HoldSide, I’m not saying the question was the best in the world–in fact, it wasn’t that great of a question. But again, I don’t think the question rises to the level of “moronic.” When I first started asking questions about a year or so ago, I barely knew what to ask–you just start asking, getting tid bits of information, reading, and building from there. It’s tough and confusing–I’m still confused about the whole industry, and I’m a finance grad, L2 candidate, I’ve been through IB analyst training, and I’ve got almost 3 months of (pseudo) IB experience.

Here goes another brokeback wannabe clown. Lay turd on your skilletonaire and get some decent meal kid. God’s curse is on you as well. Maybe someone should stick pencils through their skulls to show that they are not a hotshot after all. kkent, I’m beginning to enjoy these fcktards who really think they are starring in the movie boiler room.

This thread has a lot of potential…

There you go Oasys; really helping your case out. Most future HF managers make numerous references to brokeback mountain…er, wait, that’s most future male hookers.

Oasys is craptastic Keep it up kid, you’re actually making me laugh.

I’m just trying to avoid God’s curse.

oasys, my advice to you is to use this forum well–this can definitely be a useful forum; I’ve learned a ton, and, funny enough, those who I’ve butted heads with the most I’ve learned the most from (e.g. Joey, Holdside, FIA). From here on out, you might want to change your screen name, however. :confused: Good luck.

if you don’t like the question, don’t answer it. why do you have to go to lengths to explain why you’re upset at the question. its moronic to call a moron a moron (not that the poster is a moron by any means). this forum is about learning not throwing shots at one another. if you guys have so much frustration and anger, hit the boxing gym and take some shots there.