Higher Education Bubble - What say you?

^ Yups, it’s the social and cultural part of America which plays the most significant role in migration decision. No body cares about education costs here at least, 100k USD is not at all a big deal for the improved quality of life you get in developed nations. Frankly, I’ve never ever seen anyone here saying American education is costly, or has bad ROI or whatever!

Bernanke Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ Yups, it’s the social and cultural part of > America which plays the most significant role in > migration decision. No body cares about education > costs here at least, 100k USD is not at all a big > deal for the improved quality of life you get in > developed nations. Frankly, I’ve never ever seen > anyone here saying American education is costly, > or has bad ROI or whatever! What social and cultural part are you talking about?

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bchadwick Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > US companies will do well. It’s the ordinary > > American who is screwed. > > > Agreed. Agreed with his agreeal.

Absolutely, It is ridiculous to see college educated secretaries when a high school degree and a good work ethic would be more than sufficient. Furthermore, the US needs more technicians. The government should quit subsidizing student loans for non scientific/engineering college courses. Special technical high schools should be setup. I am a great admirer of the German educational system

That is also because coming from an emerging market our opportunity cost is lower. When I finished my MBA, my salary jumped 300% vs my previous salary. Obviously the NPV on that was terribly appealling. Had I been a top performing analyst before the MBA, then my NPV would have been terribly negative.

Bernanke Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > marcus phoenix Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > This wont last for long. Many are now returning > > back home with the US economy in the cr@pper. > > Reverse brain drain will be the new problem, > > especially with the upcoming cuts in science > and > > education spending under the new congress. > > > Don’t worry about this, reverse brain drain is > neither happening nor is going to happen, > recession just slowed it for a while. Recession > kinda created an illusion of Asia rising, so it > held on for a bit during a recession, but after > some time now everyone is back to reality, i.e. > Quality of life in US (and other developed > nations), even as a clerk, or chef, or plumber is > far better then quality of life of best engineers, > doctors, or premium talent in any field for first > five to ten years or even longer in some cases. > Once you get money you can buy your oasis here, > till then; just pack your bags and move to > whichever developed nation you want to live in. > > It’s a no brainer, whatever happens to economy, > quality of life is real deal breaker, because the > ‘base’ level for comparison is really really low! I hope you are right but as we are now the Chinese government is pouring money into R&D. They are doing exactly what the US has been so successful with. China currently has a lot of people with advanced degrees in math and science without a job. These people don’t want to work in the factory floor. Besides, researchers normally don’t give a crap about quality of life. What they really want is unlimited funds. Their passion fuels their life.