Hot Portfolio Manager

The CEO of my company (“too big to fail” bank) called my former boss to see if we would hire his neighbor’s son. Unfortunately, the guy was pretty unimpressive, so did not get a job.

i think strings get pulled all the time…i seen it happen here too…somehow, someway, no postings, a guy comes on board

Solid.

Seems a nice bird, and clearly talented, regardless of who her daddy is. I can even handle the upward inflection in the voice. Definitely nervous during the TV spot, but I’m hardly going to criticize someone about being nervous on BNN.

Definitely bangable.

she’s definitely nervous. She appears intelligent and id smash her out given the opportunity but to me she just seems like another boring sheltered white girl.

You have to put her attractiveness into context. You cant compare her to other girls, you have to compare her to PMs. You’re optimizing attractiveness given a specific constraint here.

Well, I don’t think that that’s really a fair comparison. Ms. Roch-Decter is certainly youthful and attractive compared to most portfolio managers. However, most portfolio managers become portfolio managers through years/decades of hard work. Ms. Roch-Decter, on the other hand, is a portfolio manager because her CEO father hired her at age 22, and made her a portfolio manager. If you compare Ms. Roch-Decter to other 27-year-old white girls that grew up wealthy and were given a sweet job upon graduation, she’s not really that remarkable. (Again, *ME-OW*)

I’d rather just have her trust fund and no job. What a waste of a rich chick. I’d be somewhere warm and sunny (not toronto) doing body shots off of her.

The woman is a CFA charterholder. She wasn’t handed anything. Investment management is a funny thing in that people pay for performance. If she wasn’t meeting client expectations, she wouldn’t be where she is. It’s pretty funny how that works. The fact that you refer to her as a “white girl” pretty much indicates to me that you have some problems. Probably should deal with them or you aren’t going to go anywhere in the business. Not as if she is managing the Magellan fund and her last name is Johnson. I know plenty of people who have done a hell of a lot more than she has at her age. Time to grow up.

Being a CFA charterholder doesn’t entitle you to anything. I don’t know her performance, so I can’t argue for or against how she got there. But I have seen firsthand where a top client of a bulge, went to the MD of the team and said, my kid needs a job and I want them to work in this team. And then subtly hinted they may take the business elsewhere if it doesn’t happen. The kid was nothing special, but was hired.

I noticed that myself. I totally expected her to say: “And this one time! at band camp!..” That and she reminded me of a total gold-digger I once dated. Wouldn’t kick her out of bed, but I’d peg her a 6 /10

True. Like me, she has been a charterholder for a handful of months.

Her father gave her a job at the firm that he runs.

It’s exactly like that. She is managing a Decter fund and her last name is Decter.

You seem pretty butt hurt Wendy. Did you see how many friends she has on Facebook since that is your measuring stick for social normality? It’s pretty easy to throw stones in the dark. You should post your info so we can compare the two of you. I’m sure she blows you out of the water.

Blake, I’m convinced you’re a troll. Did you run out of arguments, is that why you are trying to belittle Wendy? We’re talking about Dector, not Wendy.

You guys are picky. I would go top-down or bottom-up on her balance sheet.

Hey, nothing wrong with getting it all from your parents. Fuck, I wish I had been handed everything from Mom and Dad. I wouldn’t apologize for a second. The stuff my parents did give me (like my 200k education is a huge leg up) and I don’t apologize for it for even a moment. The world is unfair. Nobody really deserves any of what they get. It’s all pretty random. Now lets get drunk.

these are some great views here…i’m writing in to BNN requesting her to go back on the show again… I can see where Wendy is coming from…she is basically pointing out the fact certain people get breaks in life while others have to tool hard… her being a CFA doesn’t mean she is qualified…whoever said that is problably doing level 1 or 2 after having failed it once or twice…

Obvious troll is obvious. Wendy wrote well-reasoned arguments, not pointless ad hominem attacks: 1. The girl somewhere above average (or at least, not *ugly*) on the attractive scale. Obviously, how far to the right on the bell curve of ‘pretty’ she falls is subjective. 2. She’s got much less experience than the average PM. I’m NOT saying she’s worse, but the average PM is not late twenties when they start running money on an institutional scale. 3. She’s related to the owner of the firm she works for. Now, does this mean automatically that she was only hired because of her looks and connections? No - not at all. But in no way is it unreasonable to suggest that they played a part - perhaps even a major one - in her current job. Also:

No, she shouldn’t have to, Blake. Wendy could be junior assistant to the most junior mistmaker in Banco Popular’s back office, and it would have no bearing on whether or not her critique of the girl is accurate.

lets face it, if she looked like Frank Arabia and had Frank Arabia upbringing and fortunate circumstances, she would be an investment analyst…3 years from now… did you guys actually listen to her interview? thing that bothered me was she said she never buys/sells based on “valuation”…sounds to me she is a momentum player if my perverted mind understand her correctly…