How is the job market (financial sector) in Dubai / Abu Dhabi / Qatar

Hello, Can anybody provide insight on the financial industry there (what’s hot and what’s not ? etc.). Any specialized websites for this region in particular. My background is as follows: Academic ==> Aeronautical Engineering, MBA (majored in finance), CFA LII Candidate Professional ==> 6 years in an engineering firm in a variety of roles with my last job tin the finance department , 1 year in risk management in the largest credit union in Canada and now working as an associate in corporate banking for one of the top 3 banks in the world. Speak, write an read 3 languages (English, French and Arabic) Tx,

Are you from Canada, I am also Canadian with Engg Backround is working in Banking IT Industry 10 yrs, I am going to take Level I in June 08, Please through some light on CFA Level I (How Your Transition Process, since I don’t have MBA like you) regards bala

Just make sure you don’t name anything Mohammed there, ok?

LOL else they will give you punishment of 60 whips from hunter

Or if your a woman and your raped, just don’t tell the authorities. http://www.economist.com/world/africa/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10191773

pls guys…spare us the typical jokes on the middle east…dubai/abu dhabi/qatar are far more modern than saudi or sudan… welll i m frm ad…n the financial sector is booming here…clear shortage of skilled professionals…esp charterholders…though u mite have to slog a little considering that ur experience is not investment management or analysis related…but there are quite a few opportunities out here

wow…I’d expect the CFA types to be a little less ignorant…Dubai is in line to be amongst the top 5 financial centers in the world. Its like expecting everybody in midtown Manhattan to be dressed like a gun trotting rodeo…(not that there is anything wrong with it)

InVinoVeritas Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hello, > > Can anybody provide insight on the financial > industry there (what’s hot and what’s not ? etc.). > Any specialized websites for this region in > particular. > > My background is as follows: > > Academic ==> Aeronautical Engineering, MBA > (majored in finance), CFA LII Candidate > Professional ==> 6 years in an engineering firm in > a variety of roles with my last job tin the > finance department , 1 year in risk management in > the largest credit union in Canada and now working > as an associate in corporate banking for one of > the top 3 banks in the world. > Speak, write an read 3 languages (English, French > and Arabic) > > Tx, Hey INO check this site might give you some insight www.jobsindubai.com

How are they being ignorant. That country is built on indian and southeast asia slave labour, they still have no respect for people, they just hide it better.

Going to Dubia for a finance job seems a little extreme. I’m sure they have some great oppurtunities, but I think there’s something to be said for living in the U.S. and not having such an intense job.

Tx all Tx Rudeboi for the link onlygodknowswhy, do you mind sending me your email so I can get more details from you … appreciate it

sure..whatiznaem@gmail.com

im actually thinking about working there someday too… sure, alcohol is not to be consumed in public, but hey, its tax-free baby!

For ca-cbv-cfa you are right, they use slave labor, but only the labor of the ones who prefer the slavery conditions in Dubai to the conditions of their own countries. .

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/NEWS_ITEM/newsItemId-12088

Hiya Turkiya Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > For ca-cbv-cfa > > you are right, they use slave labor, but only the > labor of the ones who prefer the slavery > conditions in Dubai to the conditions of their own > countries. > > . Don’t talk out of your a**. These laborers put up their home on the mkts and borrow just to pay up the visa agents’ fees to get to these GCC countries. They are then enslaved by the contractors (ex: Arabtec and several others who I can name) who take away their passports and ID cards and do not pay them for months, if ever. They are made to stay in slums on the outskirts of the city far away from the glittery-shining facades constructed by these governments. Only recently under severe pressure from the WTO/US and other human rights groups have they been allowed to protest in the open. With the recent rise of the Indian/Chinese economy, I hope they will fare better.

I was not aware that WTO/US are considered as human rights groups. You can refer to ILO which is quite active in these issues. And I strongly recommend you to read some of their reports before using this platform to swear at other people. Than, you can have a better undestanding of immigration into these countries and others as well in a comparative framework. What you do is demonizing GCC countries and denying the fact that the amelioration cannot be achieved without looking into the source of the issue (why do people from subcontinent try this hard and sometimes endanger their lives to be able to land a job in one of the GCC countries?) Sure, there are people who have been deceived and ripped off (generally by their fellow countrymen) to come to these countries. But it would be naive if not idiotic to think that millions of labourers are as gullible as you are to flock into GCC just because they were deceived and still continue to live and work there although they could have achieved much better conditions in their own countries. You might be someone from the subcontinent feeling very strongly about the predicament of labourers, which I find understandable to a certain extent. However, taking only one facade of a quite intricate global issue which is not limited to the GCC and adding it to the already calsified prejudices about the Arab world does not serve any good. And finally, when it comes to talking out of a**, insulting will not hide lack of intelligent argumentation on your side.

Hiya Turkiya Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I was not aware that WTO/US are considered as > human rights groups… And I strongly recommend you to read > some of their reports before using this platform Well, well, isn’t that the epitome of comprehension idiocy. Yes, perhaps the US, WTO are both human rights groups. In your feeble little mind, child. BBC News: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6141554.stm Human Rights Watch (HRW): http://hrw.org/english/docs/2003/09/19/uae6388.htm Workers Abused in Construction Boom: http://hrw.org/english/docs/2006/11/12/uae14547.htm Draft Labor Law Violates International Standards: http://hrw.org/english/docs/2007/03/25/uae15547.htm > What you do is demonizing GCC countries and > denying the fact that the amelioration cannot be > achieved without looking into the source of the > issue (why do people from subcontinent try this > hard and sometimes endanger their lives to be able > to land a job in one of the GCC countries?) The problem with idiots like yourself is that you are blissfully unaware of on-the-ground realities. Alternatively, and this is far more likely, you are a GCC Arab who is well aware of them and trying to cover up. Surprising as it may be, I have even had non-GCC Arab (Lebanese, Palestinian, Jordanian) friends recount their experiences in GCC countries with bitterness and resentment. Not to mention the non-Arab expatriate population there. Say, how about this French kid who had the gall to be raped in the desert. Naturally, the doctor conducting the rape-kit implicated him in the act and accused him of being homosexual. How dare he get kidnapped and raped ! The government threatened to press charges of homosexuality, backing off only under extreme pressure from the international press and the French government: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/01/world/middleeast/01dubai.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3932740 Of course in Saudi Arabia, if you dare get gang-raped 14 times, you get 200 lashes and 6 months in jail : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7098480.stm Makes Dubai look progressive now doesn’t it ! > You might be someone from the subcontinent feeling > very strongly about the predicament of labourers, > which I find understandable to a certain extent. > However, taking only one facade of a quite > intricate global issue which is not limited to the > GCC and adding it to the already calsified > prejudices about the Arab world does not serve any > good. I’m not from the Indian subcontinent and not trying to “smear” anyone. Just pointing out the facts. I do not give a damn whether it exacerbates the negative sentiment against the “Arab world”. Gosh, one wonders why the “Arab world” has such a negative stereotype ! Lastly, there is nothing “intricate” about the issue. It is plain-old exploitation. And idiots like yourself who defend such acts, perhaps due to some misguided pan-Arab nationalism are the worst of the lot. I have neither the time nor the inclination to point out the obvious and explain these issues any further. Good luck in your future endeavors.

I actually shot coca-cola through my nose I was laughing so hard when I read this post. However, im sure hiya turkiya will disagee :P.

this is getting interesting …