How rich do you want to be?

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Wrong question. > > Its like going to the dealer and asking, how much > car can you get me for $250 a month. he will rape > you right there. same with life. life is a used > car dealer. Do they call this ‘deductive reasoning?’ If so, I like it.

sid3699 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Define rich? If you got to define it, you ain’t it.

sid3699 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Define rich? Eli Manning is rich. The guy who signs his cheque is wealthy.

sid3699 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Define rich? Someone who has $1 more than you do.

Hmm. The question was just too deep for some minds. Alas!

sid3699 my exboyfriend would say that he was rich, because he earned more than he spent.

Mr. Pink Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sid3699 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Define rich? > > > Eli Manning is rich. The guy who signs his cheque > is wealthy. I saw that Chris Rock performance live, but he used Shaq in his example.

Taniamadrid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sid3699 > my exboyfriend would say that he was rich, because > he earned more than he spent. A humble definition. To each his own I say, but to come up with a universal definition and isolating it in absolute monetary terms is shallow, in my opinion.

I want to be rich enough get away with visiting African countries and breaking up families by adopting their children. I want to be rich enough that I can rebound from a divorce by dating a 22 year-old girl when I’m 51 and tell the world that I am truly in love (while continuing to children’s stories and sing poorly). Rich enough that I can expose my old, withered legs and junk in music videos without giving a crap. I hate Madonna.

as rich as possible so that it is not a burden

sid3699 The question was “HOW rich you want to be”? (say “how old you want to be” does not mean “old”) Many answers indicate that ppl just want to be wealthy, starting with as little as 200 grand. Rich is really when you can’t spend it all even if you try hard

rich as in you can buy whatever you want without having to worry about putting food on the table and paying the mortgage. so, if you need $250,000 and the interest rate is 5%, you’d need $5 million in the bank. I think everyone has a number - once you hit that number you’d quit your job and truly enjoy life (because you are no longer bounded by financial constraints assuming that the average spend rate is the same). i recently met a really rich guy (>$100M) and it became apparent to be very quickly how different people think when their survival is no longer in danger.

I’m actually not concerned with being all that rich. If you aren’t into collecting stuff and aren’t into having kids you end up with way more than you need. I’d just like 100% freedom to move, travel, do whatever I wanna do at any time.

Taniamadrid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sid3699 > The question was “HOW rich you want to be”? (say > “how old you want to be” does not mean “old”) Many > answers indicate that ppl just want to be wealthy, > starting with as little as 200 grand. Rich is > really when you can’t spend it all even if you try > hard When I asked the question “define rich”, I wanted to find out what interesting, honest answers, if any, people give. This is a philosophical question ; no right or wrong. Unless you truly, honestly know the meaning of rich, no amount of money can make you feel like one. Like I said to each his own, but it is my opinion that absolute monetary definition is shallow. “Rich is really when you can’t spend it all even if you try hard” – I vehemently disagree with this statement. We humans are the shallowest of all species. Now if you had said can’t “rationally” spend it all, then we can have a different debate.

sid3699 Rich IS about money Of course it’s shallow to define a person only by his net worth, but to define his wealth - that’s the only metrics

sid3699 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > “Rich is really when you can’t spend it all even > if you try hard” – I vehemently disagree with > this statement. We humans are the shallowest of > all species. Now if you had said can’t > “rationally” spend it all, then we can have a > different debate. I am not talking about “rational spending” here, but truly extravagant spending: eg. Michael Jackson, Abramovich, notorious spenders, still one left a considerable legacy, the other - filthy rich. Some amount of money, that I think is possible to calculate, brings you on that level when there are no more luxuries which would satisfy your own personal needs to waste it on.

You still have’nt understood my question or my point of view, Taniamadrid ; no point arguing. You are thinking conventially as to what rich means. My question goes much more beyond that. No offense. One needs to do considerable introspection to answer the question. “Of course it’s shallow to define a person only by his net worth, but to define his wealth - that’s the only metrics” – this is no where close to what am saying – totally off topic.

sid3699 just wanted to remind you that the thread is not about spiritual richness, it’s just for fun

Agree with sid. It’s like asking someone what’s 6+6 and having them answer with what’s 4x3.

ihihm, suggestion: you should befriend budfox428, he’s as bright as you are