How rich do you want to be?

purealpha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m actually not concerned with being all that > rich. If you aren’t into collecting stuff and > aren’t into having kids you end up with way more > than you need. > > I’d just like 100% freedom to move, travel, do > whatever I wanna do at any time. Freedom costs money. The joy of having freedom stems from knowing that you can free to do as you wish as you will have enough resources to live another day.

It all depends were you live and what you see as freedom.

Rich enough to not have to work unless I wanted to. I figure I could live happily on 60k a year (assuming I own a nice house on the beach and a car), so I guess I only need at most $2mil

Thats what I tell most people only work because you want to not because you have to. I like that…

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Rich enough to not have to work unless I wanted > to. > > I figure I could live happily on 60k a year > (assuming I own a nice house on the beach and a > car), so I guess I only need at most $2mil I don’t have kids. I don’t have a car. Not counting my apartment, my gf and I still spend a combined $50K per year in non-discretionary, repeating expenses. Throw in the other 3 and I don’t see any way of coming in under 60K/year.

> I don’t have kids. I don’t have a car. Not > counting my apartment, my gf and I still spend a > combined $50K per year in non-discretionary, > repeating expenses. Throw in the other 3 and I > don’t see any way of coming in under 60K/year. That seems pretty high…what are some of the major categories?

In my experience, I have met 2 Billionaires in my life and quite a few multimillionaires. The biggest difference I have found is that the people with a few million say 5 to 10 million net worth seemed the most insecure and tended to treat people much worse than the extremely rich or average income people. The 2 billionaires were very nonchalant and friendly. They had gotten to the point where they had nothing to prove to anyone. So, to answer the question I would like an amount less than 5 million or greater than say 20 million.

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > I don’t have kids. I don’t have a car. Not > > counting my apartment, my gf and I still spend > a > > combined $50K per year in non-discretionary, > > repeating expenses. Throw in the other 3 and I > > don’t see any way of coming in under 60K/year. > > That seems pretty high…what are some of the > major categories? In descending order: Food Student loans Cable, internet, phone, utilities Misc – supplies, random costs that creep up like replacing broken stuff, etc. Family support and gifts for birthdays, celebrations, Christmas, etc. Transportation Gym Healthcare Insurance Professional certification fees

^yeah I guess that’s about right…touche

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > artvandalay Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > I don’t have kids. I don’t have a car. Not > > > counting my apartment, my gf and I still > spend > > a > > > combined $50K per year in non-discretionary, > > > repeating expenses. Throw in the other 3 and > I > > > don’t see any way of coming in under > 60K/year. > > > > That seems pretty high…what are some of the > > major categories? > > In descending order: > > Food > Student loans > Cable, internet, phone, utilities > Misc – supplies, random costs that creep up like > replacing broken stuff, etc. > Family support and gifts for birthdays, > celebrations, Christmas, etc. > Transportation > Gym > Healthcare > Insurance > Professional certification fees Food is at the top? I am the biggest food lover out there and I spend more on my household cell phone bill than food. I suggest you learn to cook and find some good ethnic mkts. I know you are in NYC, blah, blah… but honestly- some of the best grocery prices are there if you know where to go. Between chinatown and trader joe’s you’re half way there. Mail order amazing touches- like saffron, vanilla pods, imported anchovies, spices of all varieties that have 300%+ markups and you will have better food at home than you can imagine for dollars a day. Do you buy a lot of ready made food? IF you are including bar-hopping thats different. I budget bars and restaurants into my “entertainment” (discretionary) bucket.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > artvandalay Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > I don’t have kids. I don’t have a car. Not > > > counting my apartment, my gf and I still > spend > > a > > > combined $50K per year in non-discretionary, > > > repeating expenses. Throw in the other 3 and > I > > > don’t see any way of coming in under > 60K/year. > > > > That seems pretty high…what are some of the > > major categories? > > In descending order: > > Food > Student loans > Cable, internet, phone, utilities > Misc – supplies, random costs that creep up like > replacing broken stuff, etc. > Family support and gifts for birthdays, > celebrations, Christmas, etc. > Transportation > Gym > Healthcare > Insurance > Professional certification fees Food is at the top? I am the biggest food lover out there and I spend more on my household cell phone bill than food. I suggest you learn to cook and find some good ethnic mkts. I know you are in NYC, blah, blah… but honestly- some of the best grocery prices are there if you know where to go. Between chinatown and trader joe’s you’re half way there. Mail order amazing touches- like saffron, vanilla pods, imported anchovies, spices of all varieties that have 300%+ markups and you will have better food at home than you can imagine for dollars a day. Do you buy a lot of ready made food? IF you are including bar-hopping thats different. I budget bars and restaurants into my “entertainment” (discretionary) bucket.

I think I am already rich. I feel rich anyway, because happiness is not in how much money you have but how you feel inside. I am happy, so I am rich.

I don’t really have solid monetary goals. When I’m 30 (six years from now), I’d like to either have spent a lot of time working around Europe (I’m Canadian), or have a respectable house and drive a $30-40k car. I’d like to be a millionaire eventually, but in 25 years that’ll be even less of a big deal than it is today, so I’m not really concerned about it.

akanska Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Food is at the top? > > I am the biggest food lover out there and I spend > more on my household cell phone bill than food. I > suggest you learn to cook and find some good > ethnic mkts. I know you are in NYC, blah, blah… > but honestly- some of the best grocery prices are > there if you know where to go. Between chinatown > and trader joe’s you’re half way there. Mail order > amazing touches- like saffron, vanilla pods, > imported anchovies, spices of all varieties that > have 300%+ markups and you will have better food > at home than you can imagine for dollars a day. > Do you buy a lot of ready made food? > > IF you are including bar-hopping thats different. > I budget bars and restaurants into my > “entertainment” (discretionary) bucket. Yeah I haven’t quite mastered the art of the McDonald’s engagement dinner like Mr. akanska.