How to break in for non-finance majors

As a finance major, this question has never really crossed my mind, but my roommate–a hot hispanic girl (a Muslim by marriage)–and a May 2007 political science graduate of Baylor was thinking about a career in finance. She’s currently studying for law school (high GPA, fluent in Spanish as she grew up in a border town). I had absolutely no answer for her when she asked how she could break in. Is law school really the only way (apparently JDs can break in to the industry pretty easily)? I have no clue what she could possibly do to break in (currently works as a paralegal). Any suggestions would definitely be appreciated. Thanks. (BTW, I mentioned her appearance because we all know how this industry works with women…)

She could leverage her knowledge of Spanish to work for a fund company distributing products in Latin America. There is a lot of that going on in Miami. There are probably Client Service jobs supporting Miami based executives.

Go work at a hedge fund as a receptionist first.

LOL, ymc. Mojo–I, omg…

Crowbar usually works best.

“was thinking about a career in finance” This is the biggest barrier right here. She needs to show HOW she came to be interested in finance and WHY it’s more than just a passing interest. I actually think that non-finance majors can have an advantage over finance majors for certain positions, if they can show that they’ve been motivated to learn a good deal about the business. A strong GPA and a top school doesn’t hurt, though…

Yes, I’ve heard that some HF’s in NYC have a new training program: It consists of making hot tea and collecting the WSJ for the first 6 months, then you get to become an analyst and submit your ideas to all the big shots. Apparently you need no training or analytical aptitude whatsoever, you just have to think that you’re hot. I’m not sure if you’re roommate will make it though because I’ve already submitted apps for my friend who works at the tanning salon, my friend who bags groceries, and my another who I just met who gives out shots on the weekends at some dive bar in the East Village (2 for $8 in case anyone’s interested). I know of at least one top-tier fund where you should be able to get her in though…apparently it has grown from 25 to 50 employees and just rakes in the dough!

haha, except for Luke, this thread has broken down. It’s true though, you never (ok, rarely) see unattractive young ladies hired for finance jobs.

I’d agree with Luke. It’s not like your roommate is old. High GPA, bi-lingual, and attractive give her everything she needs. She basically just needs to be able to prove that she wants to be in finance either through a convincing story or through a demonstration of this desire (e.g. passing CFA level 1, taking classes in Finance/Modeling at local U, etc). A good story, her present attributes, and persistence in calling on companies should get her a job - it might not be BB ibanking, but she should be able to land something halfway decent.

she needs to look up baylor alums in houston,austin and dallas… we have 3 bears on my team in houston… another 4 in our dallas office… they love helping out other balyor kids.

Hey, thanks, guys. That’s some great advice from the lot of ya.

those monthly alum breakfasts are also a good place… I go to them sometimes… funny how everyones hangs out by the goldman morgan tables…

well, how does a finance major get in, that question hasnt been adequatly answered, in toronto anyways

make good grades intern while in college work hard in internship get offer work hard in full time role

> (BTW, I mentioned her appearance because we all know how this industry works with women…) Perpetuating a stereotype is no way of fixing it. Please keep this crap off AF. Pretend you have a daughter and try to acquire a little perspective.

I was actually intersted in how the industry works for women?

I’m interested in how pretending you have a daughter will give you perspective…many men with daughters have been in this industry since a few guys met under a tree a couple hundred years ago.

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > As a finance major, this question has never really > crossed my mind, but my roommate–a hot hispanic > girl (a Muslim by marriage)–and a May 2007 > political science graduate of Baylor was thinking > about a career in finance. She’s currently > studying for law school (high GPA, fluent in > Spanish as she grew up in a border town). I had > absolutely no answer for her when she asked how > she could break in. Is law school really the only > way (apparently JDs can break in to the industry > pretty easily)? I have no clue what she could > possibly do to break in (currently works as a > paralegal). Any suggestions would definitely be > appreciated. Thanks. make sure that you go to a top-school: http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2007/09/24/the-dark-side-of-legal-job-market/ > > (BTW, I mentioned her appearance because we all > know how this industry works with women…)

Considering she is hot, she can sleep her way to the top…LOL I AM JUST KIDDING…DO NOT MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE…IT’S A JOKE

I tend to think that being a woman (attractive or not) is a net liability in finance. Guys in high-stress jobs want to be around people who can perform, and a subset of men think that women aren’t as smart/diligent/dedicated as men (especially as they near childbearing years). I kind of doubt that guys specifically hire good-looking women to have eye candy sitting around them. At least not in respectable shops. kkent, you seem to have some pre-conceived notions about how good-looking women might have gotten their jobs. I’m glad I don’t work with you.