How to break in for non-finance majors

I agree. Maybe in a pit back in the 80’s or early 90’s but not these days.

lots of decent looking women is sales… how ever your degree does not have much to do with it… hooters girl make decent bank

In the UK your background is less of a big deal when applying for graduate type jobs (presuming you can explain why you are interested in finance). We employed a Romanian medical doctor, because she was bright and committed. That’s probably not much help though.

Jesus f*cking Christ. Here comes the PC Police again. God, I can only dream of the day when liberalism dies out forever. I must be a real bad guy, liberals–so goddam*n sorry I’m trying to help my friend out. I must be a racist, misogynist homophobe. So sorry I’m “perpetuating” a stereotype by pointing out the flagrantly obvious. It’s like saying I’m perpetuating anti-Semitism by pointing out the Holocaust. For Chrissake.

Well, I disagree that being attractive makes any real difference, at least in the branch of finance that I’m in. In my analyst class most of the women were average looking, maybe one below average, and maybe one above average. The one thing they all did have in common is that they were pretty gregarious, which wasn’t necessarily the case with all the guys - although most were. I’m sure that sexism still exists in some banks, but I think Wall Street has become fairly progressive in this arena, at least in my limited experience.

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Jesus f*cking Christ. Here comes the PC Police > again. God, I can only dream of the day when > liberalism dies out forever. I must be a real bad > guy, liberals–so goddam*n sorry I’m trying to > help my friend out. I must be a racist, > misogynist homophobe. So sorry I’m “perpetuating” > a stereotype by pointing out the flagrantly > obvious. It’s like saying I’m perpetuating > anti-Semitism by pointing out the Holocaust. For > Chrissake. Careful… I know a guy who was fired for saying stuff *he thought* was alright… Privately everyone agreed he was way out of line. He just didn’t get it. I sense a streak of that in kkent. Better be safe than sorry.

tell her to put ‘level 1 cfa candidate’ on her resume. it’s the golden ticket. The day I put it on my resume, Steve Cohen drove up to my house with 50k in a duffel bag trying to scoop me up…

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Jesus f*cking Christ. Here comes the PC Police > again. God, I can only dream of the day when > liberalism dies out forever. I must be a real bad > guy, liberals–so goddam*n sorry I’m trying to > help my friend out. I must be a racist, > misogynist homophobe. So sorry I’m “perpetuating” > a stereotype by pointing out the flagrantly > obvious. It’s like saying I’m perpetuating > anti-Semitism by pointing out the Holocaust. For > Chrissake. Where’s Todd Gak when you need him?

“As a finance major, this question has never really crossed my mind, but my roommate–a hot hispanic girl (a Muslim by marriage)–” How is a muslim girl living with a guy roommate in the first place? I’d be long dead by now.

Well there are different levels of adhering to beliefs.

Don’t worry about having to work with kkent, cfagrunt. You actually work in finance.

kkent, I agree with you about a bunch of frigging libs and pc cockroaches…BUT don’t use God’s name (Jesus Christ) in vain. It just ain’t right, as they say down south.

I’m not even very PC. It’s just that this little twerp, who has been in the working world for all of, what, 3 months(?) thinks he knows how the world works. I’m not saying that finance guys wouldn’t hire an attractive admin who was dumb as anything just to have eye candy around. But if you think that finance guys will actually hire someone unqualified as an investment professional just because they’re hot - well, you’re just dead wrong. No guy’s gonna make his team look bad or put in extra hours to carry the load of a dumb, hot chick. If there were two women with the same qualifications, one of whom was hot and the other of whom was ugly, I’m guessing the hot one would get the job. But that’s a far cry from what kkent alleged. kkent, you seem a little tense. I know the world of muni finance is, uh, stimulating, but you might want to take it down a notch.

cfa2grunt Wrote: > kkent, you seem a little tense. I know the world > of muni finance is, uh, stimulating, but you might > want to take it down a notch. + immeasurable. This was worth a visit.

cfa2grunt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m not even very PC. It’s just that this little > twerp, who has been in the working world for all > of, what, 3 months(?) thinks he knows how the > world works. I’m not saying that finance guys > wouldn’t hire an attractive admin who was dumb as > anything just to have eye candy around. But if > you think that finance guys will actually hire > someone unqualified as an investment professional > just because they’re hot - well, you’re just dead > wrong. No guy’s gonna make his team look bad or > put in extra hours to carry the load of a dumb, > hot chick. If there were two women with the same > qualifications, one of whom was hot and the other > of whom was ugly, I’m guessing the hot one would > get the job. But that’s a far cry from what kkent > alleged. > > kkent, you seem a little tense. I know the world > of muni finance is, uh, stimulating, but you might > want to take it down a notch. touche…ouch nice to see you around here again, cfa2grunt (and grailmail too!) where have you ladies been? hope all is well

hi numi, we’ve been over at our online sorority house with the other AFOT rejects…life has been good. I relocated out of the Midwest and now have a real job and not so much time to post…met Olberman in real life this summer and had a great time…am meeting some of the old faces and names as I travel and it’s been fun. Think about you guys from time to time and hope you are all doing well.

Ha ha… Sorority house. Numi, good to see you’re still around here! All is going well. Any changes with you? Still in the same job?

grailmail Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > hi numi, we’ve been over at our online sorority > house with the other AFOT rejects…life has been > good. I relocated out of the Midwest and now have > a real job and not so much time to post…met > Olberman in real life this summer and had a great > time…am meeting some of the old faces and names > as I travel and it’s been fun. > > Think about you guys from time to time and hope > you are all doing well. So your job in the midwest wasn’t a real job? We are so done! I am that guy who likes Lutefisk and Ole and Lena.

Oddly enough Friday is Ole and Lena Joke Day over at our other place, you betcha dat’s a good time. I guess it was a real job in that I did real work and a lot of it, but I never really got paid for my work. That’s an important distinction.

But now Grail’s crossed over to the dark side, so things should improve :wink: