How to deal with coworkers who suck up

This is driving me crazy. this one person I work with is always agreeing with what the boss says, always! Even if what the boss says is patently wrong. I’ve never seen a person who is that deferential. He is also always offering to buy the boss coffee. Unbelievable. I shoudn’t give a #$^K but it is just terribly annoying. Incidently the boss LOVES it. Anyone have to deal with these types of people, who constantly kiss AS&, suck up?

I hate to side with the Man, but like bchadwick said, if you don’t know how to play politics then this business is not for you.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I hate to side with the Man, but like bchadwick > said, if you don’t know how to play politics then > this business is not for you. +1 If he gets on your nerves this badly now, just imagine what it will be like when he is your boss. I hear you though. That does sound annoying.

have him get your coffee as well

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I hate to side with the Man, but like bchadwick > said, if you don’t know how to play politics then > this business is not for you. Disagree. The only person you have to be content with at the end of the day is yourself. Now if you are the suck-up type, then good for you…but at the end of the day I wouldn’t be able to look at myself in the mirror. The most important thing to me is my own integrity. I don’t sacrifice it for anyone under any circumstance. If business is conducted that way, fine, but you don’t have to play the game in order to be successful.

^someone hasn’t read bchadwick’s story yet. You’ll learn.

I have come to believe it is not my coworkers fault really- it is my boss’s fault for rewarding the behavior over actual good work. He is just rationally responding to rewards by kissing a%s more, like pavlov’s dog.

^ doubtful. What story?

ValueAddict Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ doubtful. What story? http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?1,1072319,page=5 It’s blasphemy to not read bchad’s work. It’s even worse to admit to it.

I started at my new job August 10. About a month-and-a-half into the job, I was on a business trip with another colleague (direct colleague–same position and level). At dinner, he insinuated that I suck up to the boss because I seem like the only person who likes him. I mean, I had been on the job for 45 days and I’m still polite to my new boss during one of the worst real estate markets in the last 100 years (I work in commercial real estate)! “Yes sir, no sir”. “Good morning.” “Sure, I’m on it.” “I’m doing great! Thanks.” To the OP, I’m not saying this guy doesn’t suck up, but some people are waaaay too sensitive to that stuff. Being polite to your superiors has been common protocol since the commencement of the industrial revolution, up until about 10 years ago. Maybe the guy was just raised right.

Sucking up is not the same as marketing yourself well. The guy referenced in the OP is a sucker-upper, bchad’s pop failed to market himself. I’d ask him in front of the boss to grab you one as well. Then you and the boss can have a laugh about him when he’s getting the cawwfeee. Btw, I sorta think that you define your own success relative to that of your parents achievements. With a near-Nobel prize winner for a father, how’s that going bchad…? Owach.

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ValueAddict Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ^ doubtful. What story? > > > http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?1,107 > 2319,page=5 > > It’s blasphemy to not read bchad’s work. It’s > even worse to admit to it. Ah, the title of the thread explains why I have not read it. Another one of those joke threads that are killing the lifeblood of AF. I read bchadwicks story and I didn’t get the same meaning as you may have. Political intelligence is different from sucking-up and compromising one’s integrity. A politically savvy player is rarely a suck-up since the act in itself is a sign of weakness and deference. I stand firm on my original assertion.

Hire thugs to rough him up.

I agree with ValueAddict. Knowing how to play office politics and sucking up are two different forms. In fact, someone that knows how to play politics and latently get ahead by being strategic, versus someone who wants to blow the boss all day long are two different beasts. Granted, with the way the corporate heirarchy is set up the ass kisser has a better chance at moving up quicker because people may feel less threatened by him/her. I was reading an article (forget the source) about when Paulson was at GS, and it mentioned several times about the office politics going on between him and other top bankers there. Interesting stuff. I think you should drop some acid into the coffee that the nut sucker delivers to his boss. That, its a win (you), win (boss), lose (nut sucker/donkey) situation.

Break into his house and pee on his bed.

Have sex with his dog.

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Break into his house and poop in his pillow case FTFY

dont hate the player hate the game, NEPHEW

Leave a dead prostitute in his bed.

Masturbate on his toothbrush and give him photos of the act, but only after a week.