How to get to the US

how can one land a position in the US from Toronto. I have passed level III and really want to go to NYC or BOS. Am I dreaming???

Just go move there and interview. If you get a job, then apply for TN visa by yourself which is good for one year and renewable indefinitely. It is pretty easy. If you don’t like the frequent renewal and you want to be a US PR eventually, then you can try the H1B-green card route

Yeah I thought about that. I guess that’s my only option, I don’t think Goldman will be knocking on my door anytime soon.

I thought under NAFTA Canadian citizen can work in US without visa in certain types of jobs and financial analyst was one of them?

Apply for a job that you’re overqualified for. Not TOO overqualified, but maybe the company will be looking for someone that has passed level II or maybe even I if the opp is great. You might take a hit (being bored, undercompensated)… but after a year or two you’re free to roam as you please. Also look at other places other than NYC or BOS…stick to those places out for a year or two then move to your dream city.

Ok thanks for the tips. I set myself a deadline to find an acceptable position in Toronto otherwise I would move to the US. I had a couple of interviews, we’ll see how it goes. If it doesn’t work out by the middle of Oct, then off to the US I go. Other than NYC or BOS what cities do you suggest? Is DC that great?

My favorite is Denver, CO. Lived there for 5 yrs.

zigy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My favorite is Denver, CO Great location.

I guess financial analyst is not one of the professions anymore (unless you are an accountant or economist). Sorry. http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/nafta-alena/temp05-3-en.asp

I, too, enjoy the everloving sunworshipping culture that is Denver. I lived there for four years, and still want to move back. Maybe if I switch over to O&G or E&P research or PM later in my career. Not too likely, though it is where I started in this business. If you’re ever there, you gotta try Pasquini’s - I always ate the same thing, so I couldn’t tell you how the rest of their food is, but their sandwiches are AWESOME, and theire sicilian pizza (think deep dish, but not Chicago-style) will leave your tummy full-full-full, yet curiously wanting more! And they used to have $2 pitchers of Bud on Thursdays and maybe Sundays. My mouth is watering just thinking about eating there. And, oh, how I miss Breckenridge… My snowboarding days are over here in the Midwest.

Marry an American? My buddy from Canada has absolutely zero leverage due to his visa status. Prepare to be low-balled and abused if you are on a visa - the firm will have significantly more leverage with you than with any Americans.

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/nafta-alena/temp05-3-en.asp what if you have a degree in economics/accounting/engineering and have some CFA level completed, but the position is Equity Research Analyst?

bump

>the firm will have significantly more leverage with you than with any Americans. That’s true. I was lucky enough to have nice employer and they treated me well. I was the last person who was on visa, but in the end, they let me go when they closed Colorado office rather than transfer me somewhere else. When you are on visa, you should think twice about buying your own house. The firm was bought out later, by the way. >what if you have a degree in economics/accounting/engineering and have some CFA level completed, but the position is Equity Research Analyst? Good question. I suspect lawyers know how to make liberal interpretatiion of those lists.

Why would some of these firms low ball a guy because he’s from Canada? These firms have so much excess cash that it’s obscene. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t just treat them fairly. What’s $10k to a NYC investment bank? Not even a rounding error. Anyway, cfa_toronto, DC is a great area, but the job market in finance is pretty small overall. There are an enormous amount of jobs there, but a large percentage are in IT, government services, Federal employment, engineering, and real estate development. Those with 2 or more years of experience in finance have a lot more opportunity in DC than a guy trying to break in. CPA license is, by far, more highly valued in DC than the CFA charter.

DirtyZ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Marry an American? My buddy from Canada has > absolutely zero leverage due to his visa status. > Prepare to be low-balled and abused if you are on > a visa - the firm will have significantly more > leverage with you than with any Americans. Thats not much different than here in Toronto. We have the most competitive market for the least amount of money. Plus we get thousands of grads from Eastern Canada and 100,000 immigrants come here and not enough good jobs to go around. So in the end, we are left with 2 choices: 1) stay and be used and abused or 2) go somewhere else and be used and abused until you get yourself established.

>be used and abused until you get yourself established. That is actually what lucky immigrants in Canada go through. Unlucky ones are stuck in survival jobs.

I don’t think with TN visa you can get low balled by employers because they have low leverage over you. However, if you go H1B/Green Card route, they do have bigger leverage over you.

Well, put it this way: The guys I know who are on visas make less and they can’t pipe up to management about it b/c of their visa status. Anyone else would just make a stink or leave, but when you’re on a visa it is much harder to switch jobs. Many (if not most) firms will not sponsor a visa unless you are an exceptional candidate…many won’t even bother interviewing you.

mcthorp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I, too, enjoy the everloving sunworshipping > culture that is Denver. I lived there for four > years, and still want to move back. Maybe if I > switch over to O&G or E&P research or PM later in > my career. Not too likely, though it is where I > started in this business. If you’re ever there, > you gotta try Pasquini’s - I always ate the same > thing, so I couldn’t tell you how the rest of > their food is, but their sandwiches are AWESOME, > and theire sicilian pizza (think deep dish, but > not Chicago-style) will leave your tummy > full-full-full, yet curiously wanting more! And > they used to have $2 pitchers of Bud on Thursdays > and maybe Sundays. My mouth is watering just > thinking about eating there. > > And, oh, how I miss Breckenridge… My > snowboarding days are over here in the Midwest. home sweet home :slight_smile: i prefer steamboat over breck… but even loveland rocks if you are used to these east coast slopes. cant wait til winter!