How to play nuclear?

So with rising oil prices there’s been a little more chatter about nuclear energy, and I think that as it breaks $100 a barrel it’s going to become a big news item. I remeber when Bush mentioned ethanol in the SOTU everything that was tangentially related to ethanol went on a tear (regardless of fundamentals), and I think the same thing’s bound to happen with nuclear in the next few months or so. But clearly there’s no “nuclear power plant builders” that are active the way there are ethanol producers. How to play nuclear power? Specific stocks/trades?

Didn’t Cramer do this last night? FWIW, I don’t pay attention to Cramer, it just happened to be on when I walked through our trading floor to get a snack late last night. Or maybe that was the night before.

Uranium producer stocks? Maybe there’s one with ticker symbol “POOF”

WAR Willy

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Uranium producer stocks? Maybe there’s one with > ticker symbol “POOF” cameco, its had a very good run over the last few years so i dont know if it has much more room too go. how about GE or westinghouse, they have nuclear engineering divisions but i bet if you did a sensitivity analysis the added revs from the nuke divisions would add much. is there a pure nuke play? whats the name of that french company that builds reactors?

Areva I believe is the French firm…

buy the new Entergy Nuclear bonds when they are printed in the HY market

SeanC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bchadwick Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > cameco, its had a very good run over the last few > years so i dont know if it has much more room too > go. > Cameco…the pride of my hometown, Saskatoon, SK. Largest or 2nd Uranium producer in the world. Huge mines in northern SK and they’re into a bunch of stuff in East Asia. Solid.

there is a city in northern saskatchewan called “uranium city”. oil producers they ain’t had any of us invested in uranium in 2002 when it was $10 a pound (there were no futures for uranium until may of this year), we’d be laughing all the way to the bank. in june of this year the futures hit $140 a pound.

UNOR Inc - junior exploration company that Cameco owns 20% of - you can pick it up for $0.28 a share.

Are you boys from my neck of the woods: Western Canada? Uranium City…yep, now that’s NORTH baby!

calgary here

Nice one, bruv!

In 2002 I looked at a uranium stock that looked too good to be true but a friend who is a nuclear engineer said bad things about the sector so I passed. Quoting Don Coxe, “the time to buy is when those who know it the best love it the least!”

heorotian Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > buy the new Entergy Nuclear bonds when they are > printed in the HY market you only get the interest, i want full participation in the company, i needs them cap gains yo! i i ment to say that the revs from nuke engineering wouldn’t add much

zimzim78 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Are you boys from my neck of the woods: Western > Canada? > > Uranium City…yep, now that’s NORTH baby! almost as west as it gets, vancouver.

virginCFAhooker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In 2002 I looked at a uranium stock that looked > too good to be true but a friend who is a nuclear > engineer said bad things about the sector so I > passed. Quoting Don Coxe, “the time to buy is > when those who know it the best love it the > least!” haha thats what you get for taking financial advice from an engineer, heheh ;). man im post whoring this thread like a mofo

buy the french company “areva”

you’re a little late. >>had any of us invested in uranium in 2002 when it was $10 a pound >>(there were no futures for uranium until may of this year), >>we’d be laughing all the way to the bank. in june of this year the futures hit $140 a pound. My money guy has been holding uranium stocks since the US blackout of when 2003. Last I heard (30 June this year) he still had 1/3 of the portfolio in uranium miners but the 2 main stocks he was holding then (energy metals and dennison) have been taken over so not sure what he’s holding now He held cameco for a long time but sold. Ditto UEX, IUC, Southern Cross.

I was on the phone with the fund manager. We’re still 25% uranium and he’s still holding denison. fwiw, we’ve just (last few months) been buying north american natural gas stocks, so the fund is now 50% natural gas, 25% oil sands, 25% uranium. Energy from natural gas is roughly half the cost of that from oil at the moment