How to project CFA level 1 for MBA application??

I have cleared CFA level 1 and is applying for Top Tier MBA colleges ?? Actully my question is how can clearing CFA level 1 help me in addmision at top MBA college ?? How can i project myself to maximise its usage…any suggestion will be really helpful to me… Thanks in advance for your replies…

You’re going to have to clear GMAT verbal section first.

i have already given GMAT with 690 score…

Business schools don’t really care about CFA

" I have cleared CFA level 1 and is applying for Top Tier MBA colleges ?? Actully my question is how can clearing CFA level 1 help me in addmision at top MBA college ?? How can i project myself to maximise its usage…any suggestion will be really helpful to me… " Lol…well it obviously cannot help one’s english skill set. Willy

the only way the cfa can even slightly help you is if it fits with the rest of your career plan. if you say something like “i want to go to your school so i can pursue a career in general management. look at how smart i am since i’ve passed 1 level of the cfa.” no good. they’ll think you’re an idiot. if you tell all about how you want to move into investment management and you’ve passed level 1, signed up for level 2 and going back to b-school is just the next step in the transition, it might (MIGHT) help, but even then not much. it just helps tell a story.

CFA am not as well known as most of us wish it to be. Very good point though, MLH

depending on his definition of “top tier mba”, the folks in admissions will know what it is. they may not know all the ins and outs, but they know what its for and how hard it is. if they don’t know, my thought is that it isn’t very top tier. but i can be a bit of a snob.

I can’t speak for “top tier” schools but overall I think if you’re wanting to change careers into finance I think it could help if you can sell it right, and if the schools know about the CFA program. If you’re applying to mid-lower 30’s schools it could be a decent plus. I’ve seen that some of the students in these programs take L1 while in grad school; the school probably knows this, and they’ll see you coming in already having passed L1.

I remeber seeing on the Dartmouth MBA resume book that many had the designation, say 10-15. Those that passed level one listed it next to Series 7 in the additional information section. But this was the resume book, not the application to the school. Like the designation in general, I’m sure passing level I helps, but having the designation is better.

It can’t hurt, but remember that business schools are looking for the total package and someone who will add the right mix of diversity to their class. Things like GPA and GMAT need to be at par, but you have to have a good story and some differentiating qualities to be competitive at a top 10 school.

i dont get it, what else is there to say other than you’re a L2 candidate? if it’s a top-tier school then trust me, they are well aware of the cfa program. being a candidate speaks for itself, it is what it is. doesnt hurt your chances, but being a L2 candidate wont help a whole lot. but if you speak to people or do your essays the way you typed your post, this discussion will be moot

Best way to project it? Pass Level 2 and 3

him_2k81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i have already given GMAT with 690 score… You got a 690 on the GMAT? You must be a math whiz.

Hi him_2k81, Even I have the same plan in mind and stumbled-upon the exact same question once. Hope someone could explain us, how a L1 (or probably L2) would act as a catalyst in our career switch. Presently working as a Software Architect in an i-banking firm, NYC. I have my CFA-L1 scheduled for Dec-07, Then I would be giving my GMAT and preparing my applications to Top-10 U.S. schools only. Hope the candidacy helps me in switching from IT to MBA(Finance). Suggestions/Comments welcomed!! Thanks, Dinesh S

One of the most important questions the admissions committe is asking when reviewing your application: “Will this person be reasonably able to get a job in two years (with this package + our MBA?” If the CFA doesnt fit into your package, then it wouldn’t necc. help you get a job. And, wont necc. help you get in. There is no spin on the CFA itself. Either it makes sense in your future career goals, with all the other things in your app pointing in the same direction (career switch always ok) or it doesn’t. For example, IT person in NYC bank with CFA LI trying to get into marketing - zero credit. Same guy trying to get into finance, icing.

Thanks Saks!! And how close am I to getting to a trading pit or will CFA kill my remotest possibility of reaching to the traing floor … Since it’s a sell side credential? Thanks, Dinesh S

CFA might make sense in admissions (neither push you in nor keep you out) and will help in core finance classes. Will give you more time to hunt down that summer job first year. As for getting to a pit MBA is uselss. Getting a trading job at a BB out of associate class, MBA does that. Converting BB associate class into trading spot wont care about CFA unless for very specific areas where high brain power required (interest rates, swaptions etc).

the CFA is NOT a golden ticket to the IB world for someone in software, ops or another non related industry. your phone will not be ringing off the hook the Monday after you get the charter. It is mearly another quiver in your pack to complement an attained skill set. If you are moving from a non-investment related background and pass all 3 levels, you will not get the charter until you attain the appropriate work experience.

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > him_2k81 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > i have already given GMAT with 690 score… > > > You got a 690 on the GMAT? You must be a math > whiz. GMAT only test math comprehension up to the high school level. Anybody who mastered college algebra should conceivably be able to kick the GMATs ass. My cousin who is in highschool took a full length sample GMAT, she scored a 680 with out even studying. She is no Einstien either.