how to regain control of my CFA level 3 studies

Hey guys, 1) I am going through a really rough time in my life… my girl friend has left me 2 months back and is getting married to some other guy and i have not yet been to get over it 2) I am working in a job which really pays peanuts…as compared to my other distinguished peers. 3) Due to point 1) my social life is screwed… if these three were not enough I am staring at my L3 test this June. How do I motivate myself to study and clear it in first shot as I did my L1 in dec 06 and L2 in june 07. I am really lost…need to regain control…of my life but dont know how …I just hang around at AF asking stupid questions and starting new posts… ( I might have annoyed quite a few fellow boarders) Thanks in advance for ur suggestions

Is 1) due to 2)? That would be motivating maybe. Seriously, this is what shrinks do for a living and many of them are very good at it (www.harborbridgect.com

If it were me, I would focus on a hobby/activity to cope. I hit the gym with a vengence after my nasty break up. Best

KJH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If it were me, I would focus on a hobby/activity > to cope. I hit the gym with a vengence after my > nasty break up. > > Best I prefer revenge. I’ve dealt with a similar situation to the OP (except it was 8 months).

I find that after a nasty breakup it helps to sleep around a little. Gets your mind off things.

KJH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If it were me, I would focus on a hobby/activity > to cope. I hit the gym with a vengence after my > nasty break up. > > Best good idea… buy a “perfect pushup” set or a pull-up bar for your apartment. whenever you’re studying and you start to get fired up about things, just blast out a set to get rid of you aggression. I think you’ll find that it will help you focus.

equity_research_nds: Did a giant Milwaukee’s Best beer can fall on your head after you hit “post message”?

Drive to the absolute worst neighborhood (with doors locked) and you’ll realize you’re still much better off than A LOT of people. then hit up a strip club, that should do the trick…

Not even joking: Start lifting very hard… Get on the good supplements (the legal kind). Start going out a lot (people who say they cannot go out and study in the same period are crazy). Find a better deal, preferably some one she knows. Fall back on friends.

since no one mentioned it… booze.

Also, visualize the trade up you’ll get once you pass L3. ER + CFA = BSD!

Yes it sucks getting dumped but stop being a wuss. This is tough love. There are plenty of women out there and the next one you get will have you wondering what you ever saw in the first one anyway.

bingo hit the gym and start studying. it will take your mind off things. there is always booze too.

RealWarriorsOnlyPlease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not even joking: > > Start lifting very hard… Get on the good > supplements (the legal kind). > > Start going out a lot (people who say they cannot > go out and study in the same period are crazy). > > Find a better deal, preferably some one she > knows. > > Fall back on friends. Since we live in a society where beating up somebody to make urself feel better is not very acceptable I would definitely go with the above …I find working out is a great way to vent if you dont wanna do that try something else like running or a sport . Friends have always been my suport system so fall back on them . OH and more importantly its been 2 months …get over it .

listen to some misogynistic rap music about how women are bytches and hoes.

equity_research_nds Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey guys, > > 1) I am going through a really rough time in my > life… my girl friend has left me 2 months back > and is getting married to some other guy and i > have not yet been to get over it > > 2) I am working in a job which really pays > peanuts…as compared to my other distinguished > peers. > > 3) Due to point 1) my social life is screwed… > > if these three were not enough I am staring at my > L3 test this June. > > How do I motivate myself to study and clear it in > first shot as I did my L1 in dec 06 and L2 in june > 07. > > I am really lost…need to regain control…of my > life but dont know how …I just hang around at > AF asking stupid questions and starting new > posts… ( I might have annoyed quite a few fellow > boarders) > > Thanks in advance for ur suggestions I am in the exact same situation as yours equity_research_nds, Points 1 and 2 coincide perfectly … And I have more of them … points 3 to 10, which have added to the misery. I am not at all able to concentrate on my L2 (I might not show-up for the exam, if this continues) All I am doing after the breakup is talking to my friends, staying with them, sleeping early and listening to songs. I am spending this weekend all alone at Battery Park, by the Hudson River and hope to rejuvenate/ gather myself up by Monday and start studying for L2. Guys please let me know if you have any suggestions for me, I don’t drink but cola is more than enough for me to cause the much needed hangover. - Dinesh S

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > listen to some misogynistic rap music about how > women are bytches and hoes. Tru dat!

Well for starters what I think is that you guys could stop wallowing in self pity and pull your sh*t together. I’m not trying to be rude, I’ve caught myself getting whiny and sad and its just a matter of recognizing self pity when you see it and realizing that it has never gotten anybody anywhere. Then its time to start making the hard decisions instead of the easy ones and getting your junk back on track. I mean you guys passed L1, that says you must know something about hard work and determination, I’m sure you can figure this out.

Unfortunately, nothing but time will really help this situation. Eventually you’ll get over it. I find that some people get really upset after a breakup because they are competitive people and therefore get so jealous thinking of what the girl may be doing now - and they begin to think about what they did wrong. Well, everyone is different - not everyone is meant to be. So don’t be so hard on yourself. This part from from Swingers tend’s to sum up what I felt like awhile after I had a nasty break-up: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Rob: You don’t look at the things that you have, you only look at the stuff that you don’t have. Those guys are right about you - you’re money. Mike: Then why won’t she call? Rob: She won’t call because you left. she’s got her own life to deal with, man, and that’s in New York… alright? And she’s a sweet girl, and I love her to pieces, but fuck her, man. You gotta get on with your life. You gotta let go of the past. And Mikey, when you do, I’m telling you: the future is beautiful, alright? Look out the window. It’s sunny every day here. It’s like manifest destiny. Don’t tell me we didn’t make it. We made it! We are here. And everything that is past is prologued to this. All of the shit that didn’t kill us is only - you know, all that shit. You’re gonna get over it. Mike: How did you get over it? I mean, how long did it take? Rob: Sometimes it still hurts. You know how it is, man. It’s like, you wake up every day and it hurts a little bit less, and then you wake up one day and it doesn’t hurt at all. And the funny thing is, is that, this is kinda wierd, but it’s like, it’s like you almost miss that pain. Mike: You miss the pain? Rob: Yeah, for the same reason that you missed her… because you lived with it for so long.

This event has had a significant effect on your life and it will only make you feel worse if you don’t clear L3 in June. The only real cure for the hurt you are feeling is time. You can workout, drink, sleep around, etc but these activities will only provide temporary relief. You have to find a way to channel this pain and anger towards accomplishing things in your life. Now is the time to focus on yourself because it’s not worth focusing on her. The best thing you can do is avoid anything that will remind you of her because that will only get you off track. I would also suggest going to public places to study such as Starbucks, Borders, the library, etc. If you sit at home you will probably lose concentration. I would take JoeyD’s advice and talk to someone. They have experience dealing with these things and may even give you happy pills to take your mind off things.