How would YOU go about this?

Hello, Say you’re 21 at the moment, you’re planning on starting the CFA exams next year. Got a job offer with an investment company in NZ. You just finished a double degree with four majors (Finance, Econometrics, Math and Stats). First you’ll need to get experience while studying for the CFA, when you get the charter you should be 24 years old. Here’s a basic timeline. First and foremost: Get work experience-i.e. working for someone in the investments industry. Period of 7-10 years, earn some capital-you’re aiming for a net worth of at least 10m (kiwi ) at the end, when you’re 31. After that this is the path you’re thinking of going: Option 1: Go abroad, i.e London or New York-Get into hedge funds/derivatives (sounds like fun), Are math and stats useful for this? How much money could you make from this type of work in those regions? Option 2: Go live in Cayman Islands and use the capital you’ve made and live of that using the skills you’ve gained in the last 10 years while drinking mojitos and chillaxing. Please post comments. Chur

Option 1: Undergrad math and stats are as useful as PeeWee football skills in the NFL Option 2: I’ll bet big bucks against it.

Stop making plans around your anticipated future when you haven’t worked a day, thats what I’ll do. and definitely listen to JDV

Well said Joey.

"Get work experience-i.e. working for someone in the investments industry. Period of 7-10 years, earn some capital-you’re aiming for a net worth of at least 10m (kiwi ) at the end, when you’re 31. " Let me know how that $1,000,000 increase in net worth per year thing works for you.

That was “at least” 10mm in 10yrs. So, less than 1mm/yr is a dissapointment.

No work experience, no experience in the investing process, and nothing regarding the CFA other than intent. Therefore, no credibility and I don’t even know why you’re discussing those options.

Let the kid dream, he’ll figure it out soon enough. Option 2 dude!

To have a liquid net worth of $10m after 10yr: I’d start with $100m and invest in airlines.

Agree…option 2 is sick. I’d jump all over it.

enzoin10 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hello, > > You just finished a double degree with four majors > (Finance, Econometrics, Math and Stats). > The ladies must love that, it’s like having two…ah hell I won’t finish that…

KJH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Let the kid dream, he’ll figure it out soon > enough. > Yeah, I think we were all dreamers at one point. “It’s trench warfare out there Pal” -GG

You want an Enzo Ferrari in 10 years? The new F430 Scuderia is just as quick and a fraction of the cost. Option #2, by the way. If I were worth $10mm, it’s questionable whether I’d be working at all, but I certainly wouldn’t be working for someone else.

TPain88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > KJH Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Let the kid dream, he’ll figure it out soon > > enough. > > > > Yeah, I think we were all dreamers at one point. > > “It’s trench warfare out there Pal” > -GG “Read Sun Tzu, The Art of War, every battle is won before it is fought!” - GG

At one point I was dreaming of being a 2L at U of Chicago right now. Still have mixed feelings about not taking that route.

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > TPain88 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > KJH Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Let the kid dream, he’ll figure it out soon > > > enough. > > > > > > > Yeah, I think we were all dreamers at one > point. > > > > “It’s trench warfare out there Pal” > > -GG > > “Read Sun Tzu, The Art of War, every battle is won > before it is fought!” - GG *Puts hand on CFA_Halifax’s shoulder and pats him on the side of face while proudly wearing a sh*t eating grin* “Buddy’s learning huh!? Buddy’s learning!!”

I had no idea math and stats were two different majors… sounds like just one to me!

enzoin10 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > You just finished a double degree with four majors > (Finance, Econometrics, Math and Stats). I’d say you’re perfect for this program; designations and letters first, work experience and reality second. I would also suggest you add in LIFA and FRM. That’s just me though.

BOMC is right, forget about CFA, concentrate on LIFA - a real man’s achievement.

What?? Concentrate on Option 2…the rest is just masturbation.