I am a phoenix

Why is everyone so down on MBA students from UPhoenix? They got some alumni in congress and they help out the older people who don’t have time for full time school. I am not a phoenix btw

It’s because of the virtually non-existent entrance requirements. The fact that someone completes a degree from University of Phoenix implies that they did not have the capability of going elsewhere.

I think Phoenix is just fine. I would hire someone from U of Phoenix. I have little regard for the elitists.

I do stick up for U of P for those people in the armed forces. Online learning gives them a fantastic way to utilize time on base that would be otherwise spent on alcohol, women, etc. For those people unable to attend a regular university, like those in the armed forces, I think U of P does a great job.

Walrus, what entrance requirements are required to begin the CFA exams?

^If you have to ask then you shouldn’t be taking it.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^If you have to ask then you shouldn’t be taking > it. If you can’t understand logic and a rhetorical question, you’re obviously not excluded from taking it, but you also are certainly going to be included in those who fail. I laugh at people who think a quality education can only be had in an expensive university. It ignores the fact that life’s most important lessons are taught outside of the classroom. It also ignores the fact that most of the best education is self-taught.

^ Great post and very true, but this stereotype will not change anytime soon. Academia, at its foundation, is elitism. This elitism is probably why professors are generally not good practioners at what they teach (i.e., many law professors would be horrible attorneys, probably why many business professors, or “economists” as they call themselves never could spot an economic contraction back in 2005). However, that’s not to stay that I would rather have a Phoenix professor over a Harvard MBA professor… but at the end of the day, the books/material are probably similar, and the learning must come from the individual first and foremost. Yet, accept the fact that the general public will judge your education based on the school’s reputation - it’s just the way it is.

3 jobs ago I taught some classes at DeVry to get some extra money for my wedding. While there I found some pretty intelligent people that screwed up in life, or never had the best options, trying to make themselves better. I was interesting to them because I was a successful person with practical working knowledge and I could relate to them and impart my knowledge in ways that would apply to their lives. What is so wrong with this? Sure, some were still screwed up, some were plain stupid, some were throwing their money away. However, everybody deserves to make themselves better, nobody should judge them for doing so. They may not all be the best, or brightest, but the ones that are try damn hard. While in grad school I worked directly for the president of the university on special projects, mainly financial analysis. He sent me on a 3 month internship with McKinsey, who was engaged by a board of the most influential businessmen in the state to study how to make the state education system better. We analyzed dozens of metrics to figure out how best to allocate the state’s money to each university. The end conclusion the McKinsey guys came up with was to shut down all medical and law schools at Tier 2 and 3 schools, concentrating the money up to the “best and brightest” people, who would go on to be more productive members of society. Naturally, the guys working with me were mostly the “best” (in their minds) and missed an obvious problem with their conclusion. Not everybody needs to work for a top 10 law firm, or a fortune 50 company. Not everybody needs to be a top IB’er, or a prodigy investment manager. They only need to fit the needs of society. For every tier 3 lawschool grad out there who isn’t working for a top law firm, I’ll show you a person who might be helping battered women get to court for restraining orders or divorce, or to protect their kids. For every tier 3 MBA program out there with a non-Fortune 50 worker, I’ll show you a small business owner, part of the employers who employ multiples more people than the Fortune 500. Only ignorant fools, who think themselves educated, miss this important fact.

The only people who don’t think a high quality education is important are the ones who can’t get into the high quality schools.

I have little regard for ‘high quality’ schools. I went to a good school myself. I think that elitist mentality about schools is a direct reflection of whats wrong with the world today, and the mess we find ourselves in. Its no different than the fedual system in Afghanistan, or the exculsivitty of Taliban. I do very well for myself, thank you. And I believe what I say. Your welcome!

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The only people who don’t think a high quality > education is important are the ones who can’t get > into the high quality schools. The only ones who think that high quality education is the only thing that indicates intelligence forgets that most of the most intelligent people in history never even had formal education, let alone ones at the “highest quality” institutions. I know you’re trying to dig out of the retard hole you put yourself into, try not to dig it deeper. What’s even more amusing is that you’re making your argument, that getting into the best schools is ohh-soo-important, in a board discussing a SELF-TAUGHT/SELF-DIRECTED exam.

I think the “I went to a sh!tty school therefore I have to justify it by talking everyone else down to my level” mentality is why 99% of the population will never achieve anything meaningful in life.

If I were a hiring manager and had two applications - one from a harvard grad and one from Phonenix, I have to admit I will be biased towards the Phoenix guy if he had a good story. That guy wouldnt have an effing chip on his shoulder. Maybe he came from a broken home and put his siblings through school, worked as a mechanic and then studied nights to graduate. I wil hire him in a heartbeat.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think the “I went to a sh!tty school therefore I > have to justify it by talking everyone else down > to my level” mentality is why 99% of the > population will never achieve anything meaningful > in life. What is a meaningful life? I mean, really, if you’re a product of such high education, I wouldn’t expect you to be so easily manhandled in all respects. That is, if I were to believe in your own misguided ideas of how superior you are. Aren’t you just proof positive that a quality education doesn’t produce a quality intelligence?

nm

I do have to agree that most farming and construction industry employers look down on high quality educations. Meanwhile I’ll just take my meaningless high quality education that allows me to sit in my air-conditioned office earning my high quality compensation that in one year equals what a trailer park attendant who went to one of those vaulted no-name schools makes in 20.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I do have to agree that most farming and > construction industry employers look down on high > quality educations. Meanwhile I’ll just take my > meaningless high quality education that allows me > to sit in my air-conditioned office earning my > high quality compensation that in one year equals > what a trailer park attendant who went to one of > those vaulted no-name schools makes in 20. Yes, because you’re naturally so superior to them. Tell me, where would you be if they suddenly disappeared? You need them far more than they need you. All you do is grease the economy with intermediation. Their jobs would still exist without you, the economy wouldn’t flow as easily, but it’d still exist. You, on the other hand, are nothing more than a grease for the machine, not the machine, nor the engine driving the machine. We might as well just call you WD40.

Right, because we all know how well an all-uneducated, no income, farming economy works in Afghanistan and Africa.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Right, because we all know how well an > all-uneducated, no income, farming economy works > in Afghanistan and Africa. Yeah, let’s ignore a million other factors, such as arable land, infrastructure, historical happenstance, colonial ambitions (and collapses), social and religious mores…etc. Do you even know the history of Afghanistan, or did your knowledge begin on 9/11/2001? Nope, it’s just the lack of a Yale Kabul campus. What’s funny is that you somehow make the silly leap from QUALITY education only producing quality intelligence people, to NO education at all. Aren’t I the one saying that ALL education is good? Another silly argument you’re making. Really, are you that fvcking dumb? Am I speaking to Mr. George W. Bush, the guy who graduated from Yale and Harvard but is one of the most tragically moronic figures in US history?