I am Getting Jacked by HR

OP, it’s clear you’re bent on stealing this money.

Sure, you can go ahead and quit and try to keep the money, but no doubt you run the risk of having your reputation ruined, and your ass sued.

Intercom…sin is sin…you said you studied at work…now when an employer pays you to work and you turn around and study isnt that stealing?? or is that one ok? you not taking money right? you just doing some harmless studying and pluss your employer might even benefit? BTW are you at work now? Is your employer paying you to log in on AF at talk sh*t? Surely your employer will benefit from your valuable contribution to this tread!!

From a morality standpoint, obviously you should have told them. But, that ship has sailed so now it is time for a real polique approach perhaps. From that perspective, the actual amount you are talking about matters a great deal. If you were making 30k and they paid you 45k for a few months then it is not worth burning bridges. If you were making 30k and they paid you 200k then perhaps you should follow Tikka’s advice and flee.

I don’t answer to you. But for your information, I’m using my vacation studying at home. time that I earned , not stolen like you Seriously OP, you’re what Blake termed “a lowlife piece of garbage.”

CFA, when was the last time you had fried chicken? i want details…

the amount in question is about $2000 at most

I’m fairly certain that stealing from your employer violates several CFAI Standards of Practice. You should probably drop out of the CFA program now instead of wasting your time, as you have to sign a statement every year indicating that you have not violated any Standards. Just so you know, people from CFAI do monitor this forum and have tracked down people who committed violations. I strongly urge you to return the money.

Black “you dont answer to me” … just as I expected run from the truth…You said you had in the past studied at wrk…that is stealing!!! You are getting paid for time not devoted to your employer… GO ahead and lie that you have never been at work and spend company hours posting on AF…how many of that 2500 points was at the expense of your employer? now that you realize you are a thief just like me what are you going to do?

Frankie, I’m sorry I can’t answer that for you. I’ve been subscribing to the Power of Oneness and taking care of my body better. I eat grilled chicken much more than fried chicken now. I suggest you take a peak at my Power of Oneness thread.

$2,000? Good grief! That’s a days pay for most of us. Let it go man.

The CFAI is watching you.

^ Deebo that is the option I am leaning towards…tactfully tho!

Wow, you’re much dumber than I thought. You’re going to quit a job and risk everything on 2 grand??

2 grand is a lot of money…but i sure as hell won’t risk my reputation for that amount…

I’m calling BS. OP posted that the differential (using simplified numbers) was 3 vs 10. Any logical person reading this now think…

1. the difference is clear and unmistakable in terms of the beneficiary noticing the error. You got a $100 paycheck when expecting $30 … cannot "miss’ that like you could miss a smaller discrepancy that may be lost in light of tax and other withholdings.

2. we can understand some of the OP’s frustration since he indicates the market rate is 10 vs 3. Even though its his bad for not negotiating to the higher rate it seems off that there is such a discrepancy.

Now we are told that the total difference for 3+ months was 2k? So lets say its 600 a month that he was overpaid. Using the 3 and 10 he disclosed … that means he was getting somewhere around $950 a month… of which $665 was overage in error. So the wage was supposed to be $285?? WTF?

This, like the OP’s reasoning and analytical skills make no sense. I have now officially concluded that CFA>>CPA. At least something came of this thread. That is if he really is a CPA like he states.

^ Respect.

akanska, so nice to see you again!

Dude…the numbers $3 and $10 were just arbitary…How many times do I need to say that…

Oh should I just state my actual pay…I dont see anyone else doing it!.. you go first then I will follow

2 grand is net of taxes!!

I am getting a feeling that all this hate stems from CPA>CFA

^LMFAO!

Those are some mighty big words on a CFA Forum! Now where you at so I can give you the beatdown you deserve!

Have fun counting my money BOM!

one needn’t use actual pay to illustrate a relationship. You implied that your pay was 30% of the market rate. It doesn’t matter what the absolute figures are- we are talking relative figures here. A lot of your complaints/ issues seemed to be based on this relationship that you implied- and those are completely defunct as its clear that every piece of evidence you have presented this far is questionable at best.

how do you expect to get any advice? Can you not see how perhaps the reaction would have been different if you had stated that they overpaid you by say 10%? You did not because you have deluded yourself into thinking that you have been “jacked”. You’d like to think that the 10% is something you are entitled to but knowing in your gut thats not quite dramatic enough you embellished here.

It’s good for you that the discrepancy as smaller because you can likely feign ignorance without looking like a fool. But at the same time it makes it more apparent that you are greedy even considering risking your professional reputation fighting over such a small sum of money that came of an honest mistake… which is why you fibed your representation of the situation here.

You want advice- go in and say you did not notice the error (if in fact it was small) and that you have no issue with them recouping the error, then go home and consider yourself lucky that you learned your lesson at a gov’t job with outsourced HR as had this happened on the street it would likely effect your career in the long term.