I hate my job

I hate my job, and I’m not sure what to do about it. Not to sound whiney, but every day I come in here I am miserable, mostly due to some of the management in the group. Currently working in Structured Finance, on the deal-management/collateral side. I passed-up the opportunity to move to the structuring practice earlier, as I was hoping to make manager. That didn’t happen, and it’s given me a chance to re-think whether I really want to be a Deal Manager. Not exactly transferrable skills to know how to put together workpapers and write an Agreen Upon Procedures Report. But, I’m in somewhat of a tricky spot, since I’m getting married next October, and don’t really want to move to another city until that happens. At the same time, there aren’t really any opportunities here in OC in the area I want to be working in. So, I guess my options are: 1. Take a job in another city and do LDR with my fiance for 10 months. 2. Take a job up in L.A. and take the train to work from OC every morning. 3. Stay where I’m at and try to do structuring, but likely remain miserable. Anyway, I had hoped some of you might have some suggestions, if you had been through something similar before. Oh, and I’m currently studying for L1.

So what is it that you want to do for work? Do you want to be on the structuring side?

dont jump

cfa2grunt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So what is it that you want to do for work? Do > you want to be on the structuring side? The long-term goal would be to get into Portfolio Management. But, I could also be happy working at a Hedge fund, at a bank, or some other analytical role. I think the experience in structuring would be extremely helpful for any of those.

I would think it’d be difficult to get an analytical role at a different company given your experience. You’d likely be better off sucking it up for awhile and getting structuring experience. Asset managers/hedge funds would be much more likely to consider you for an analyst or junior analyst role with structuring experience as opposed to your current experience. I went through a similar situation where I worked in a job I hated to get experience at my old company that would enable me to be considered for an analyst role. It worked (but sucked at the time). On a personal level, long-distance relationships stink, and I doubt you’d be considered for a much better role right away anyhow. Wouldn’t be a good trade-off.

i live in OC. You should live near LA area if u want to work there. Traffic will be a pain in the ass. LA and OC isn’t that far, and i believe it is cheaper to live in some of the LA area. LDR wont work, it’ll tear u guys apart. OC to LA is not LDR. I am the expert on those things, but when it comes to jobs and CFA and finance i know nothing better. GL

i can understand why you wouldn’t want to move from oc to la for several reasons, but why not move to la? traffic is bad, but i wouldn’t necessarily consider the distance “long” distance. my wife and i were a four-hour flight apart while we were engaged.

i’ll take your job. :slight_smile: i’m in oc and wanting to leave the discount biz, lol. currently studying for L1 too. based off your options, i’d suggest you go with #1. i’m also in a ldr (gf is in bay area) and its not so bad. plus, you know you’re getting married so if the fiance is flexible after marriage then she can move to be with you right? i’d steer clear of doing a commute to/from LA, but thats just me. do i hear the bay area calling you? LOL theres lots of opportunities up north good luck!

First things first…break up with your fiancé. You’re in the OC and contemplating working in LA…getting married is just not a good idea. Think about the tail Sandy Cohen could have gotten if he wasn’t married to Kirsten…then again, he would not have had that sick house nor the Range…but I digress.

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > First things first…break up with your fiancé. > You’re in the OC and contemplating working in > LA…getting married is just not a good idea. lol, a break up at this point is much easier said than done. But i’m sure being surrounded by socal hotties could make it easier.

Anything that is worth it, is not easy…

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > First things first…break up with your fiancé. > You’re in the OC and contemplating working in > LA…getting married is just not a good idea. > Think about the tail Sandy Cohen could have gotten > if he wasn’t married to Kirsten…then again, he > would not have had that sick house nor the > Range…but I digress. Uh, no thanks.

“First things first…break up with your fiancé. You’re in the OC and contemplating working in LA…getting married is just not a good idea. Think about the tail Sandy Cohen could have gotten if he wasn’t married to Kirsten…then again, he would not have had that sick house nor the Range…but I digress.” Dude, Kiki’s dad was getting mad poon left and right and that dude was like 100 years old. Welcome to the OC b1tch!!

Yeah, but Kiki’s dad was worth north of a $bil…the same rules don’t apply.

I wasn’t referring to the LA to OC as a LDR, but the SD (she lives about 70 miles south of me now) to SF distance. I guess I’m going to just have to suck it up here for the next year.

Well, it seems there’s a compliance analyst position at PIMCO I’m being invited to interview for. Seems like this might be a backwards step, however.

Please report on your experience interviewing at PIMCO. I know someone they mistreated horribly.

MeddlingKids, you should absolutely take the structuring job if you want to get into a structured finance analyst role. From the structuring job, you could get into a rating agency or maybe even an asset management firm, and you’d be on your way… I can’t imagine that a management role in deal management would offer much in the way of growth, even if you did get it. Sounds like a salary bump in the short-term that would lead nowhere interesting in the long-term. And, once you go so far in what is essentially back or middle-office, you’re essentially making a career of it. Seriously, get into structuring, put in a year and be on your way.

So you’re going to move from a structured finance job to compliance…bold…but not in a good way.

Danteshek, would you mind sharing your story about PIMCO as well?