I have a condition... called hDEC2

I have “diagnosed” (no proper sleeping tests have been examined but it’s suspected by several doctors) with this condition for a while now, but i have a rare genetic mutation that shortens sleep cycle to 6 hours or less.

For me, my regular sleep is at most 4 hours, i just wake up naturally and can’t get back to sleep.

I do not feel more tired than others during the day, although i do find myself the most sleepy right after work which means, if i don’t have anything else to do in the evening, that’s the time i would sleep!

I know others who are in similar condition but anyone else on AF who “suffer”/ “benefit” from this condition?

:slight_smile:

NANA

Ok. So you at most sleep 4 hours per day yet are rested like a normal person? How do I sign up?

My sleep condition is called “Baby.” It’s a common condition, but unfortunately unlike your situation, I feel endlessly tired all day. It strikes unpredictably, generally right before days that consist of big meetings or long hours.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748703712504576242701752957910

A number of famous leaders in the corporate and political world have this sleeping habit - sleep only 4 hours a day. In short, they have a number of hours in the day that other people don’t, and they put them to good use. Two names off the top of my head I can think of Stanley McChrystal and Marissa Mayer,

^ I think Bill Clinton and the Iron Lady were in that camp too.

Yes. SOMETIMES i sleep for 6 hours or something but that’s usually the most i can sleep (perhaps after a very stressful week or intense workout/ activity??)

I have heard the same about margaret thactcher but i don’t know about clinton.

There are many “regular” people who sleep very little but they just never went to the doctors. It’s probably more common than most people think.

If you look/ ask around, you may find some friends and family members who have this condition.

I wish I had your condition. I feel like I’m useless when I just lay in my bed with my eyes closed for 7 hours a day.

Can’t you sleep in breaks?

4 hours, do something for 2-3 hours and sleep again?

OMG I would be a beast if I could get away with only 4 hours a night.

Doesn’t seem to be very common. You are a special snow flake :slight_smile: I’d be curious if things function the same even if they don’t feel the same. Sleep is so important for so many processes.

But according to an article in the Wall Street Journal, most people who believe they’re naturally “short sleepers” aren’t really. They’re merely sleep-deprived — regularly getting less than the recommended seven to nine hours of sleep per night — and possibly putting themselves at higher risk of diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure and other health problems. ( More on Time.com: 5 Ways Daylight Savings May Be Bad For Your Health)

That said, the elusive corps of sleepless elite does indeed exist, the Journal‘s Melinda Beck reports: they make up a scant 1% to 3% of the population. There isn’t much data on these short sleepers, in part because they’re hard to find; they don’t typically seek treatment, since they don’t think of their sleep habits as unusual or disordered.

What is the difference between this and insomnia?

Yeah I’d love that. I normally get around 7 hrs a night. I can do 5-6 hrs for a few days but then it starts to catch up.

I have sleep apnea. For those who don’t know, that’s when you “choke” when you sleep. You’re depriving your brain of oxygen, and you rarely (if ever) get good REM sleep.

A few years ago, I got a CPAP machine, and I’ve gotten really good sleep ever since.

Until you’ve been sleep deprived for a long time and then suddenly get really good sleep, you have no idea how much it affects your life. It will literally change your entire lifestyle. You have more energy and better concentration. Your job gets easier, working out gets easier, normal daily chores get easier, etc.

so you have to sleep on your back the whole night?

No. I have a Tempur-Pedic pillow that keeps my mask from being smothered in the pillow.

Unfortunately, I am halfway across the country without my Tempur-Pedic pillow for a week. Sucky.

You also have a chronic case of cantstoppostingonAFitis…for which there is no cure.

^I am also in a boring class on a Saturday. That aggravates my chronic condition.

When I am busy or have better things to do, the symptoms seem to go away.

What’s wrong with sleeping on your back?

nothing wrong. some ppl toss around a lot so was wondering if he had a special mask or slept on his back the whole night

Yeah. I have a Cpap machine with a mask. And a tempur-pedic pillow.

And I’m still prowling around DC. Waiting on a train now.