I know a lot of you folks are getting...

I know a lot of you folks are getting (or already have) your CPA and trying to obtain the CFA as well. Looking at the list below (forget about your personal career path & just in general terms), which combination of professional certifications do you think is worth given a try? CFA & CTP (Certified Treasury Professional) >>> Cash Management Career Path CFA & FRM (Financial Risk Management) >>> Risk Management Career Path CFA & CAIA (Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst) >>> Alternative Investment Path

PE, Hedge Funds, Commodiites are part of Alternative Investments. Risk Management is an horizontal function which is part of almost every financial institution.

anyone knwow how long one needs to study for the CPA? Its offered in 4 parts right? Does it take about 1 month for each section and is it possible to take it one or two parts at a time over the course of a year?

i am a cpa. it takes about 3 months of full time study. Most my friends did it within 3 months. The months after college graduate. part time. I would say 6-9 month max.

sameeragarwal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > PE, Hedge Funds, Commodiites are part of > Alternative Investments. > Risk Management is an horizontal function which is > part of almost every financial institution. If Risk Management is an horizontal function which is part of almost every financial institution, are you suggesting that it’ll add more value to your CFA as opposed to the other certifications? What about the CTP, which I think has to do with cash management. A Treasury/CFO path really.

Thanks…do you recommend taking all parts in 1 shot, or just doing 2 at a time to ensure?

I am taking level 2 of the CAIA…decent program…young certification…who knows if it ever becomes prestigious or not. The same could have been said about the CFA some years ago.

dualbond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i am a cpa. it takes about 3 months of full time > study. > > Most my friends did it within 3 months. The months > after college graduate. > > part time. I would say 6-9 month max. I failed Level 2 the second time this year. I am thinking of taking AICPA Jan/Feb next year, before I study the Level 2 the third time. Do you think it possible? How difficult is AICPA compared with CFA Level 1/2, in your opinion?

dualbond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i am a cpa. it takes about 3 months of full time > study. > > Most my friends did it within 3 months. The months > after college graduate. > > part time. I would say 6-9 month max. I failed Level 2 the second time this year. I am thinking of taking AICPA Jan/Feb next year, before I study the Level 2 the third time. Do you think it possible? How difficult is AICPA compared with CFA Level 1/2, in your opinion? ----------------------------------------------------------------------- if you can pass level 2, then you can pass cpa for sure. 4 sections CPA together is about 85% of diffcult of level 2.

Hi Can anyone give more info on CTP (Certified Treasury Professional) certification and how much recognition it has??

CPA 4 parts all are doable in 2.5-3 months of full time preparation. It is straightforward. Probability of passing all 4 parts vs putting time is almost linear relationship, could be taken multiply times per year. But exams were subject to certain time limits (i.e. you need to pass all the exams during certain period of time otherwise they are expired). Overlap with FSA of CFA. In terms of difficulty it is near CFA level 1.

YeeS_Mos Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CPA 4 parts all are doable in 2.5-3 months of full > time preparation. It is straightforward. > Probability of passing all 4 parts vs putting time > is almost linear relationship, could be taken > multiply times per year. But exams were subject to > certain time limits (i.e. you need to pass all the > exams during certain period of time otherwise they > are expired). > > Overlap with FSA of CFA. > > In terms of difficulty it is near CFA level 1. YeeS_Mos, if what you said is true, it is really an encouragement to me. I failed Level 2 at band 10 and band 9 in the last two years. If I retake Level 2 next year, I will only start study early next year. So, I may take the time from now to study AICPA and take the CPA exam on coming Jan/Feb. And go for Level 2 afterward.

jogging where you from? I am looking to do the same thing. They have different requirements for certain states as i am sure you already know this.

chung.da.neu Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jogging where you from? I am looking to do the > same thing. They have different requirements for > certain states as i am sure you already know this. HK. Yes, I know that.

Anshul0126 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi > Can anyone give more info on CTP (Certified > Treasury Professional) certification and how much > recognition it has?? The guy with whom I had interview at Boston Consulting Group previously worked in treasury of P&G and had this certification and CIMA or CMA (do not remember). That was first time when I saw it.

jogging Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > YeeS_Mos Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > CPA 4 parts all are doable in 2.5-3 months of > full > > time preparation. It is straightforward. > > Probability of passing all 4 parts vs putting > time > > is almost linear relationship, could be taken > > multiply times per year. But exams were subject > to > > certain time limits (i.e. you need to pass all > the > > exams during certain period of time otherwise > they > > are expired). > > > > Overlap with FSA of CFA. > > > > In terms of difficulty it is near CFA level 1. > > > YeeS_Mos, if what you said is true, it is really > an encouragement to me. I failed Level 2 at band > 10 and band 9 in the last two years. If I retake > Level 2 next year, I will only start study early > next year. So, I may take the time from now to > study AICPA and take the CPA exam on coming > Jan/Feb. And go for Level 2 afterward. I stress it is 2-3 months of full time (i.e. 8 hours per day) preparation. Also do not forget about experience and education requirements.

I work in Corporate Treasury and there are a quite a few CTP’s around me. I’ve actually looked at this for quite a while and I see it as definitely the least useful relative to the other designations mentioned and probably the easiest to obtain in comparison (two or three months of careful study). It’s an alright designation if you’re in Treasury, but if you already have or are studying to obtain your CFA charter, there is no need to obtain the CTP in my opinion. My manager and director both have it and do not think very highly of it (it used to be called the CCM back in the day). If you’re outside Treasury and want an in it’ll definitely help but that’s about it. I wouldn’t expect a large change in upward mobility with it all in all. It’s about two grand and you have to make sure you are up to date on continuing education credits.

CFAMetal, thanks for that info. CTP is definitely out of consideration. Now trying to figure FRM or CAIA?

Good to hear about the CTP (not worth it). I’d do that CAIA right now personally if I wasn’t taking the GMAT here soon and having to retake Level 2 for the second time.

DAMIL4REAL! Glad to see you on this post, buddy! I really appreciate everything you posted on the L1 forums! Thanks much.