I witnessed firsthand the gender imbalance in China

FT is telling a story and suggesting that the reason that the woman could get two local Chinese men to shuttle her around for an adventure with FT is because local Chinese men will do much much more to ingratiate themselves with a (presumably attractive) Chinese woman because women are comparatively scarce in China.

The story is not about how Chinese women love or don’t love white men (though her tryst with FT may have been motivated by the fact that opportunities with waiguos of his type are rarer than opportunities with the sea of single Chinese men available for her).

In any case, it’s a story with a reasonable hypothesis about why the woman could get two different men to shuttle her to an event with a third guy. When you knock something over and say “oh crap, gravity at work,” we don’t respond by saying “just a sample of 1, you didn’t really prove that gravity exists. Maybe it just fell because you’re clumsy.”

BKK is Bangkok

Bangkok

Bingo, that’s the thing. The Korean and African guys there were swimming in attention as well, none of them were walking around with a strange sense of entitlement based on their skin color. It’s a very strange phenomenon, see comment below yours.

Strange story one : I see attractive tall Black woman with Afro-hair (proper African swag) chatting with dude but there doesn’t look like much chemistry and she doesn’t seem interested so I go and introduce myself. We get a good vibe and I invite her back to my friends table a large mixed group and she accepts. Drunk White dude - “You’re going with him? but I’m White”. Dude was trashed but still WTF??

Strange story two : I am eating breakfast minding my own business in Sukhumvit, place is packed so old White guy comes and asks if he can take a seat opposite me. Sure, we get chatting and I ask him what he’s doing. He says he’s an ‘expat’. Later on it turns out he’s been in Thailand for over a decade, has a Thai wife and no plans of leaving. I muse out loud that this is not the definition of ‘expat’ (admittedly to see his reaction and push a few buttons) but dude completely flips out, loses his cool and lambasts me for questioning him. Fk off.

It’s a fantastic country in many ways but the number of sleazy characters turning up is irritating, the Thai govt. is now taking measures to actively block these people from coming. “We don’t want these kind of tourists”. Cambodia is also fantastic in many ways but 10x more poor than Thailand and paedophilia is openly visible. There is no way some of those girls were 16 let alone 18.

^ yeah, SE Asia can be pretty harrowing with that kind of stuff, not nice to see.

i want a field report on my desk after you come back lil cubbie

What did you think of Cambodia otherwise. I loved it although I wish i hadn’t gone to Sihanoukville

Perhaps he has no patience for people who present themselves as being incapable of accepting another person’s point of view. For instance, the linked article indicates that “the word “expat” is generally used to refer to people who temporarily or permanently live in a different country than the one they were born in or whose nationality they have”, which would support his “definition” of expat.

https://www.internations.org/magazine/what-s-an-expat-anyway-15272

If he is not an expat, then what is? Probably he got mad because of Luffy’s general insufferable nature, if he is anything like he is here.

That is interesting, I have never heard this definition. Perhaps instead of behaving like a liberal snowflake he could’ve explained it. If I see him again or someone like him, I will def. ask him whether illegal or legal Mexican immigrants can now be termed ‘expats’.

I thought it was okay, Angor Wat was good obviously, the bamboo train at Battambang was brilliant and the land border crossing was definitely an experience.

I am a big fan of Vietnam though. Bun Cha - brilliant.

This is an accurate statement. There is an even smaller subset of this population that are into brothers(although I only see Africans in East Asia) and very few American brothers. Also, the heyday of foreigners running wild in East Asia hit its peak in the 90s(think Black Rain with Michael Douglas) and the novelty has certainly worn off due to the influx of English teachers flooding the market over there.

Perhaps he somehow came to the impression that as an “old white guy”, it would be pointless for him to try to explain anything to you.

+2 #FreeCvM

Perhaps he needs a safe space? He’s old and he’s White, how else am I supposed to describe him?

But srs, according to this definition it is correct to call illegal Mexicans ‘expats’, yes?

Oh god! Don’t even get me started on some of the ESL teachers ‘finding themselves’ over there.

del poor taste

lmao palantir… avoiding it “for science”

I spent a bit of time in Thailand playing tennis. What struck me is the number of old white American dudes roaming around with young women on their arms. I heard it is common for american men to “hire” a girl for a week to just walk around, go to dinners, probably a host of other activities. It was difficult to figure out ages of women and whether they were in fact women. It was kind of seedy.

I have not been to China so cannot comment on that country.

^ China isn’t a sex tourist destination, you don’t see that kind of crap there.

This is very simple, if you are from a white country then you are an Expat, else you are an immigrant or tourist.

The term was probably coined by some mid-40 English teacher on his asian adventures, it sounds a lot cooler than the alternatives doesnt it

^ Sure, illegals in the US fit the definition of expats.