If you had to go back to school to get a new job, what would you study?

It’s fun to take a hobby, and make a career out of it. For example, I recently transitioned from being a mere amateur gynocologist into professional, deep probing gynocolgoist. It is rewarding for myself and those whom I serve.

Not finance

I’m looking for serious answers. http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=Sonographer&l1=

ws Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If I had to do it all over again, > > Joint ROTC, be the best I can be, joint Air Force > and fly fighter jets. Thats an extremely competitive position. Thought of a few others; Construction Cost Estimator/Quantity Surveyor Oncoloy or Cell Chemistry Researcher Cost Accountant/CFO

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would have gone for a BS-MS-PhD track in > “how not to totally PWN WillyR, comp_sci_kid, and > JOE2010”. > > Seems like I’m very uneducated in this line of > study. Good luck.

Thanks. BTW, I read your message before you erased it.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks. BTW, I read your message before you > erased it. I am nice to you today.

lol

I’d study to be a pharmacist if I could do it over again.

Ear Nose Throat (otolaryngologist) Surgeon. Spent half of my damn ugrad on premedical courses it probably wouldn’t take me too long to get a Chemistry B.S.

i would become a doctor. no question about it. i have worked and studied a lot more than more doctors so and my younger bro (a doctor) is now making more than me in only his second job out of school.

Entrepeneur. Something web 2.0 related.

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i would become a doctor. no question about it. i > have worked and studied a lot more than more > doctors so and my younger bro (a doctor) is now > making more than me in only his second job out of > school. I wish you (and pretty much all of us) had become a doctor and done something useful rather than finance. Good to see your bro rewarded for a proper job.

You don’t think finance is useful? Allocating capital appropriately is a legitimate and useful function in society. Pension plan investing isn’t generally for making rich people richer… by and large, it’s about helping workers have a safer retirement. Project finance and corporate finance is about finding reasonable ways for companies can expand operations, provide employment, and offer services. There are parts of the industry where the incentives are screwed up, and you get paid for churning and selling things that people shouldn’t want, or for finding ways to hide and obscure risks… that part of finance is bad. But there are parts that serve a useful purpose, both for those who are investors and for those who are invested in…

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You don’t think finance is useful? Allocating > capital appropriately is a legitimate and useful > function in society. Pension plan investing isn’t > generally for making rich people richer… by and > large, it’s about helping workers have a safer > retirement. Project finance and corporate finance > is about finding reasonable ways for companies can > expand operations, provide employment, and offer > services. > > There are parts of the industry where the > incentives are screwed up, and you get paid for > churning and selling things that people shouldn’t > want, or for finding ways to hide and obscure > risks… that part of finance is bad. But there > are parts that serve a useful purpose, both for > those who are investors and for those who are > invested in… Do I think it serves a useful allocation function? Yes. Do I think there are too many people doing it? Yes. Do I think that a lot of that talent could be used more productively in society. Yes.

Air traffic control if I wanted to keep schooling to a minimum. If I had the cash to keep myself going; engineering or med.

Astronaut or fighter pilot.

I basically chose between being a therapist and doing this… given this market maybe I should have decided to be a therapist. I guess it’s ultra-macro (markets), or ultra-micro (individuals with issues). BTW, I just saw “Tropic Thunder” on downloaded video last night… and Tom Cruise is absolutely hilarious with his dancing scenes… I’m still laughing just thinking about it.

Olympic Swimmer. 9 gold this time

Mez Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Petro engineering. Check this one off! Actually I did chemical with oil and gas