If you had to go back to school to get a new job, what would you study?

mpnoonan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > definitely engineering. Probably alt energy > engineer. Check this one off! I did chemical engineering… Ok, I’ll stop

I narrowed it down to: A) Studied physics and went into astrophysics. B) Done a music major and further pursued guitar / piano. C) Become a British 00 Agent.

probably engineering

Funny how so many finance guys would have gone to engineering, considering that so many engineers are trying to get into finance.

Viticulture and Oenology - to become a Wine Maker. Far more interesting to me than finance. Oh well, finance pays the bills and allows wine to be a hobby!

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Funny how so many finance guys would have gone to > engineering, considering that so many engineers > are trying to get into finance. Good point. I guess no one is ever happy :wink:

Civil, aero, or computer engineering. But I didn’t have half the motivation I would have needed to get through an eng program when I was 18 years old.

Pharmacy.

Engineering is overrated as a job. As a degree, no, but as a job, yes. I got my BSE in Civil Engineering. Did that for 5 years. Got my PE. Frikkin’ boring! Some areas in engineering have more potential (chemical, petroleum, nuclear) but most are fairly limited in terms of what you will ever do. The salaries also top out much lower than with finance. Went back to school and got my MBA and MSF. Did finance for about 4.5 years. Got my CFA and got laid off in the same week! Going back to school now to be a HS math/physics teacher. Let’s hope this works out better. If I could do it all over, I would probably still get my BSE. I would probably go to law school and become a patent attorney. Boring, but steady and highly compensated.

In all honesty, I know I might be jumped on for this. If I dont achieve my specific career goals. Id like to be a drug and alcohol counselor or doing something to help people that really need it. I guess its the vancouver in me. im faded and i just spoke to my sponser, thats why im revealing too much about myself.

SeanC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > I guess its the vancouver in me. > My father is from Vancouver and I still have lots of family up there. These days I’ve been thinking more and more about moving there. I’ve never lived in Canada, but have spent many many holidays there (mostly with family in Burnaby and on the island/Nanaimo). If there were jobs there for me, I’d jump! But not much finance-related stuff, as far as I can tell.

I would move to Vancouver in a heartbeat. Calgary sucks.

Vancouver finance jobs - there are a few actually. There’s a small asset mgt hub here. http://www.cfavancouver.com/employment/default.aspx

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > SeanC Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > I guess its the vancouver in me. > > > > > My father is from Vancouver and I still have lots > of family up there. These days I’ve been thinking > more and more about moving there. I’ve never > lived in Canada, but have spent many many holidays > there (mostly with family in Burnaby and on the > island/Nanaimo). If there were jobs there for me, > I’d jump! But not much finance-related stuff, as > far as I can tell. Where in Burnaby? Thats not far from where I grew up. but yeah, there really arent very many finance jobs here unless you want to be a private banker or IA for the HNW market.

heza, That sux. Engineer + MBA + CFA and you want to become a teacher ??Where did u get ur MBA from ?

taz722 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > heza, > > That sux. Engineer + MBA + CFA and you want to > become a teacher ??Where did u get ur MBA from ? Top 25 school (it’s usually in the 20’s) that isn’t on a coast. Teaching has always been of interest to me. Now that I have the opportunity and the ability, I figure I might as well try. What sucks is that it’s going to take 2 years to get through all the education classes plus the remaining math courses to meet my state’s requirements. By then, the economy may have turned around and there will be finance jobs again…maybe.

Kelley?

Kelley?

Nice bump, Helen.

I’d be a roofer. Finance is an OTPHJ.