IM jobs @ MBA

Hi, I’ve been trying to decide which of the following schools have a good reputation in finance in order to select 2/3 schools from the list: Duke, UCLA (Anderson) , Rotman (Toronto), Michigan (Ross), Virginia (Darden) and Cornell I’m looking to get an IM job and while looking at each school’s placement records, Rotman by far had the highest %age (13%) of its students in investment research: http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/career/2007JobReport.pdf On the other hand, Duke has good electives and lets you have two diff concentrations in finance - Investment fin/Corporate fin. Also, UCLA has a new MFE program, so that should help its rep? Keeping in mind the list given, I’ve ranked them as: 1. Rotman & Duke 2. UCLA & Ross 3. Darden & Cornell Again, I need to pick 2/3 schools from the list. Any one who went to the above schools? What do you ppl think?

ross ans cornell have a lot fo cats on the street. look into cornell, snow there sucks balls but they got a ripping trading center with all the tech you will see on Goldmans floor

ucla has a fairly good program in IM. however their student-run fund (piece of the endowment) is relatively smaller compared to other schools. definitely try to get into the school’s finance clubs or student-run portfolio team.

Duke is pretty good. I was on their list but figured that $110,000 was a bit steep for an online MBA and for Rotman, I found their price even steeper for what is - essentially - CFA Levels 4 and 5 via Excel and VBA. Willy

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ross ans cornell have a lot fo cats on the street. > look into cornell, snow there sucks balls but they > got a ripping trading center with all the tech you > will see on Goldmans floor Cornell doesn’t even have real bloombergs. All they have are these antiquated computers. It doesn’t even come close to a real trading floor.

Re: MBA, my advice is to fuggetaboutit and just get the job. If you can’t sell yourself now without the MBA you will find it rather difficult after partying for two years doing essentially jack sh*t. In most cases CFA can get you to the same spot (if you’re not a total douche, can sell yourself properly, and actually have something to bring to the table other than a piece of paper). I think there is something fundamentally messed up with any firm that employs too many MBA and/or use it as an exclusive gateway.

Danteshek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > daj224 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ross ans cornell have a lot fo cats on the > street. > > look into cornell, snow there sucks balls but > they > > got a ripping trading center with all the tech > you > > will see on Goldmans floor > > Cornell doesn’t even have real bloombergs. All > they have are these antiquated computers. It > doesn’t even come close to a real trading floor. Plus, even if you work for the fund at Cornell, the process is primarily quant. They don’t give students access to the full model.

I believe UT-Austin and UW-Madison both have highly regarded Student Investment Funds in their MBA program…

Danteshek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Cornell doesn’t even have real bloombergs. All > they have are these antiquated computers. It > doesn’t even come close to a real trading floor. really? my bad. I met 3 stuudents from there and they talked it up. Clowns. forget cornell then, if they cant afford a real bloomberg, those cheap bastards are not for you.

Is CU’s immersion worth looking at (IB, etc)? I took a few of the MBA Johnson school courses in undergrad and enjoyed them and have been looking at the school again for MBA. Any opinions on the program besides the trading equipment sucking? I don’t mean to thread jack but it’s slightly related. daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Danteshek Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > Cornell doesn’t even have real bloombergs. All > > they have are these antiquated computers. It > > doesn’t even come close to a real trading > floor. > > > really? my bad. I met 3 stuudents from there and > they talked it up. Clowns. forget cornell then, if > they cant afford a real bloomberg, those cheap > bastards are not for you.

AbbeFaria Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is CU’s immersion worth looking at (IB, etc)? I > took a few of the MBA Johnson school courses in > undergrad and enjoyed them and have been looking > at the school again for MBA. Any opinions on the > program besides the trading equipment sucking? > I’m a big fan of Johnson. I would pick it over Columbia any day.

Wharton all the way. 2nd chicago :stuck_out_tongue:

Stern ?

Stern has Damadoran! good guy i was joking about cornell obviously. it is a good school. Eventually, they will get Bloombergs. UT has a great room for trading, etc…

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Stern has Damadoran! good guy > > i was joking about cornell obviously. it is a > good school. Eventually, they will get Bloombergs. > UT has a great room for trading, etc… Daj you did an MBA at NY Stern…didnt you?!

Duke/Darden are both targets

strangedays Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > daj224 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Stern has Damadoran! good guy > > > > i was joking about cornell obviously. it is a > > good school. Eventually, they will get > Bloombergs. > > UT has a great room for trading, etc… > > > Daj you did an MBA at NY Stern…didnt you?! The question is now whether he’s a high fallutin full timer or a bottom of the barrel part timer!

strangedays Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > daj224 Wrote: > > Daj you did an MBA at NY Stern…didnt you?! nope. close, but not stern

110K for ONLINE!??

storko Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 110K for ONLINE!?? He’s talking about The Cross Continental Duke EMBA. It’s not really an online program. During the 20 month program, there are 9 weeks of residential learning in various locations around the world.