Indoor Cats

Man, that’s cold. He’s not even dead yet and you’re already thinking about bringing in his replacement.

S2000 you may want to think about getting a whole litter of these farm team puppies so you’ll know one can make it in the pros.

Not remotely.

He still thinks that he’s a puppy. If we get a puppy, he’ll have the time of his life.

I run with TJ (the pooch) and I run with Khaleel. Separately.

I haven’t been running with AJ yet. He needs to settle down a bit first. I don’t want to get hurt.

Exact thing my parents did- had a 11 yo border, got a puppy, and he had a great three years after that. He died last year, and I grew up with him so he was really like my little brother. He had slowed down a bit- stopped running, etc. and was getting fat- but since my parents got the puppy he just got so much more active and young again.

Love the new puppy too. She’s totally spoiled though, she’s the ‘grandchild’ for my parents.

I chased a coyote out of my backyard just last week. He had a couple rabbits pinned down in my garden. And this isn’t a remote location. We regularly have the mangy beasts roaming our streets here. And due to the massive rabbit population they are well fed and stocky, maybe 50 lbs. I have a dog who is fearless and in her younger days probably could have kicked some ass, but she is old now and not very mobile. I worry one day I’ll let her out for her morning business and Wiley Coyote will be waiting.

We lost a Jack Russell terrier a few years ago to a coyote. Our daughter was home from school and let her out in the middle of the night. A coyote came over the back wall and attacked her. She was 14 years old, arthritic, and half-blind.

The coyote didn’t kill her outright − we took her to the vet the next day and got her stitched up − but a few weeks later she developed hepatitis and that did her in.

When she was younger, she’d have driven that coyote off.

The Jack Russell would have run off the coyote?

We have a ton of coyotes around here. You’ll hear about a little dog getting snatched away fairly frequently. My dogs, on the other hand, would use a coyote as a squeaky toy.

My parents have a wire hair jack russell. He is pretty good size and a scrappy sob. I wouldn’t be surprised if to see one take on one coyote. I tried to find a picture of a dog that looks like him on the internet and they were all puppies tho.

What type of dogs? Coyotes are vastly different depending on location. Coyotes I’ve seen in California and Texas are a joke compared to the beasts up here. Some in our area look like small wolves. A coyote will fight above his weight versus a dog. The jaw strength is much higher in the coyote and natural instincts stronger.

Completely depends on the type of dog. Irish Wolfhounds and Mastiffs, among others, are not to be trifled with unless the animal is a wolverine or a honey badger.

150 lbs Newfoundland and a 100 lbs Great Pyrenees. Extremely friendly dogs, but they would destroy any coyote anywhere. Hell, they have so much fur a coyote wouldn’t even be able to get a handle on them.

Edit: When they play-fight, it’s like watching two bears fight. They’ve only gotten into one real fight and it was one of the more terrifying things I’ve ever seen in person.

^ Yeah, those are big doggies.

The difference between a dog and a cat is that a dog will always have one master, regardless of how good or bad that master treats the dog. The cat’s master is the last person that feeds it.

A dog believes you’re a god because you provide it food and water.

A cat believes it’s God because you offer it food and water.

The perspective on things can be quite different depending on where you live.

Growing up in North-America, declawing a cat and having it live indoors was pretty normal to me.

I’ve been living in Europe for a while and nobody declaws their cats here.

Now I find that act completely cruel and also retarded.

If you die, a dog will sit by you for days

If you die, a cat won’t hesistate to eat you right away

I think the view on this is shifting in the US.

About cats not having loyalty. I don’t put the food in my cat’s dish anymore (GF does that) but I have raised him since he was basically a kitten. My cat comes when I call its name and will cry immediately if I leave the house and generally follows me from room to room. Cats are actually suprisingly social creatures they just get uncomfortable easily in social situations.

So they’re basically the CFAs of the animal kingdom.