Industry Terms You Can't Stand

Yes, they typically reach out…with open arms. But I always try to circle back with them and close the loop. Circle the wagons. Boil the ocean. You know, standard operating procedure-type stuff. Please revert when mutually convenient, sir.

That’s one definition but as I said there is a second definition that is a synonym for Reply that is used by tens and probably hundreds of millions of people across a large swath of Asia. Words can have more than one meaning, and languages evolve, sometimes in surprising ways.

I may eventually revert my opinion to an earlier state in my lifelong learning and logical progression and agree after all.

lots of folks i deal with from europe use revert to mean they will get back to me

Hey did you guys see Bitcoin revert back today?

Sure did. That mean reversion, ultimately at some point back to zero, is something I will be highly entertained by.

BTC +155% vs 1 yr ago, I’ll take that kind of market reversion any time. :+1:t3:

You know the difference between you and I? You speak about your portfolio in percents, I use commas.

. . . between you and me . . . .

Yep, that’s about right.

I’m going to do some research and do some straight up tax evasion in this comment section.

That’s a great discussion. I believe in the best research n tax policy. I have five years experience in financial content writing and based on that knowledge I can say that there are some basic industry terms that traps people and diverted in a different way that is least beneficial for them and I think such kind policy needs to be resolved soon.

are you the oliver? i may have rread your blog every now and then. i think you did a piece on that big short guy. if i recall correctly i agreed with your opine i never liked shorts. they remind me of dwarves.

“High-level overview”. What happened to summaries?

1 Like

Or even, just regular “overviews.”

I notice that people will say something nowadays, then ask the audience for their “reaction.” So for instance:

Betty Boring: “I just sent over the TPS reports for the pre-read prior to this meeting. I was wanting to see if anybody had any reaction to them.”

Me: “Why yes, Betty, as a matter of fact, I did have a reaction to them. One that I would describe as a highly allergic reaction, as my doctor diagnosed me with a severe allergy to corporate B.S., so yeah, I definitely reacted to what you sent around earlier…”

1 Like

Saying “learnings” instead of “learning.”

In a similar vein, lessons learned.

They’re merely lessons.

Next time you try this, and you don’t make the same stupid mistakes, then you can call them, correctly, lessons learned.

1 Like

I think it is an effort by those in business to make their speaking sound more action-oriented, as if they were some military leader in the heat of battle, when in fact, we are all just glorified pencil pushers. Unfortunately, as the business world necessarily becomes more and more abstract, I predict an increase in such dressed-up language to take mundane connections and make sensationalized metaphors of them for those who are increasingly separated from the understanding of the steps in various input processes on their way to becoming an output of some kind.

Perhaps we can take some learnings away, circle back and reconnect on the impact of all of this. Lessons learned, you know?

I . . . um . . . know.

I just hope that my powder’s . . . ah . . . dry.

1 Like