Initial reactions?

o man, i can’t finish the last 9 ques in the morn session, not even able to guess them. those ar the PM section that i shud nail them, so frustrated when the time was up. The afternoon was much easier for me, i hv got like half an hr left that i would hope i could use those time to go back to my morn session, sigh… i’m quite sure i will hv a good chance of passing if i hv those completed…

Hey everyone, i really hope all of you actually did much better than you thought you did… I foundn the morning one tougher, I was squeezed with the time, I didn;t even get the chance to touch the portfolio management section, so I have 6 blank answers. When i sat for the PM session, I started backwards, nailed the Portfolio management ones (I think i’ll get them all correct), and worked fast in order to not repeat the mistake of wasting time breaking my head over few questions…I felt much better after the PM one, finished 30 minutes earlier, went even back corrected a couple of answers. I nailed Ethics and Quant. Economics above 50% but probably less than 70%, not sure how i did for FSA and Bonds (50-70 or above 70, hard to tell lot of elimination in answers but finally guessing between 2 of them), the rest (AI, Derivatives, Corp finance…)was OK. I have a question though, say I fail the Portfolio management (So pissed off since it’s one of the easiest sections), will i fail the exam automatically (say i do well on all other sections…)?? I’m hoping that u can fail a small section such as P.M. and still pass if you do well on all other secitons…thanks

Gowentgone, I just read ur post. I guess the same cr*p happenned to us in the morning session. Man i hate that feeling, all i needed was 5 minutes. not more!

iblees, i hv exactly the same situation as u do as i posted 1 min before… i did the same thing in the afternoon session, starting from the PM section, that i hv got like 20 mins left. will be so gutted if i dun pass it.

same here bro, I wish u luck. Hopefully we’ll be writing LII in june and we won’t do that mistake again!

I sat in Boston and thought overall the test was much easier than I thought it was going to be. That being said I still think I have a 50/50 chance of passing. I thought the morning session was more difficult than the afternoon session. Most of the ethics questions were really easy. I thought Portfolio Management was a joke. I found the morning econ section the hardest. The FSA questions weren’t too bad but I found myself forgetting some of the easy things associated with CFO and CFI from the lessor/lessee type stuff.

Portfolio Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Wow, I can’t get 168 problems correct. I could at > most 150 to 155 problems correct. Anyway, I know > I won’t pass and have already registered for June. > Hopefully the books will come soon. I hate the > bundle of text books with the exam. > Why would you do that? What about on the off chance that you did pass? If that does happen, I doubt you’ll be able to get your money back since they don’t refund. You really should have just waited to get the results, before taking any drastic action. Edit: I just read your post that you expected to get 145 or so right. that’s a little above 60% There is a decent chance that you guessed more right than you think. And you probably got more right with confidence than you think. You should just try to calm down, and I still think that was a rash move to register for June without knowing your results. BTW: I am speaking with some experience. I took L1 this past June, and passed after being very worried about it.

I am in San Francisco area. I felt morning session were harder than afternoon session. Overall I felt the exam was harder than CFAI practice exams. But I guess it should not be a surprise. This exam was supposed to tough as everybody knows. I studied hard last 6 months. Almost no life in last 2 months, all work and study all days long. I was very nervous during the exam. So I am not sure if I performed well. I guess it is just a waiting game for now. Regardless of the result, I felt I gave it all I could.

I feel the same way dispatra

I sat in Toronto Have you opened an exam and realized “oh… THAT was what the prof was hinting at all year? It should’ve been so OBVIOUS… and I didn’t study that way! Dammit!!”. The morning session killed me. I saw so many questions where I didn’t have a clue, I ran out of time. The afternoon session, I did very well. I had plenty of time for each question and still finished 15 minutes early. I think I’m borderline for a pass, but overall the exam was doable. It didn’t feel like they were trying to fail anyone. But, I’ll take December “off” and then start reviewing the books. If I have to redo L1 in June, it’s time well spent. …if it’s L2 in June, then I can’t waste the prep time!

I’m going to try NOT to take the test in NYC again…man, it really did feel like I was taking the test in an airplane hanger.

I wrote it in Montreal. I wasn’t scoring very well on the practice tests so I figured for sure I was going to flunk. Now I’m not sure. I answered every question, some were full guesses, others were tricky but I managed to get through. The feeling I got from people I spoke to is that most found it very very difficult and guessed a lot of it. I’m happy I did it and if I would have to do it again, I know how to properly prepare myself. Can’t wait for that grade.

disptra, I was in SF too. I think during that morning session, no one was prepared for the name bubble filling and all that. The proctor barely gave any time to fill in all that crap, and all the sudden she says begin. I feel sorry for people with long names. The afternoon people were more prepared. People began ripping out that answer sheet and filling in their names before she said to do so…haha

LongOnCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- Yes. I felt that way, too. I am in section M, the proctor said everybody was back in the afternoon for my section. A lot of tough guys and gals in SF.

I thought you only needed to be above a 70% in Ethics, but people are saying you have to be over 70% in FSA as well, is this true? If so, I might be a goner, why did I not hear that beforehand?

San Mateo here too… I had almost no time in the morning session… I had much more in the afternoon… that or just cuz I just wanted to get the test over with so I just kept circling 50-50 answers and not even thinking through…

i really messed up the morning session…i had about 20-30 qns which i guessed through them cos of poor time management. And taking into account that i found the morning paper more difficult, i think the most i cld get for the morning paper is 50%. The afternoon was alright for me…I managed to finished on time, guessed maybe ard 10qns or so…and some were probably careless or not-too-sure kinda answers…i think i could get at least a 65% for the afternoon paper. Taking both into account, any idea if i could pass? Any experience from others?

The night before the exam I was out to dinner with my fiance and her family for her sister’s birthday. I ended up getting back to my hotel room (I live in Orange County, but decided to take the exam in San Diego) around 9:30 p.m. I took a shower, reviewed my critical concepts one last time, and laid down in bed at 11:00 p.m. with the expectation of waking at 7:00 a.m. But, I couldn’t sleep. I laid awake for 30 minutes and found myself getting more anxious as time passed. I decided to take a Tylenol P.M. (since I had somewhat of a cold coming on as well), hoping I would feel more rested than if I laid awake tossing and turning for another 2 hours. I woke up feeling refreshed and headed to the test center. When the test started, I couldn’t believe how focused I felt. I was hauling some serious butt through the problems, and ended up finishing with about 40 minutes remaining, which I used to review about 5-10 problems I had marked as needing additional time solving. The afternoon session was definitely more challenging for me. I didn’t feel quite as confident on the Ethics, Financial Statements, or PM sections. I felt the afternoon Econ questions went better, but I would still bet I failed it. I didn’t put much effort into Econ during my preparation. The afternoon session I had many more problems to review the last 40 minutes, and ended up taking the last 10 minutes going through two problems I should have been able to solve rather easily. But, for whatever reason, it didn’t seem like enough information was available and I guessed on both. With that said, I’m a bit nervous how rapidly I went through both sessions. I was either incredibly focused, or missed some important details and picked the wrong answers. I’m still fearful that I could have mixed-up the “least likely” with “most likely”. I don’t know if that’s probable since I FELT focused, but you never know. In short, I won’t be surprised if I pass or if I fail. At least I’ll know the answer to why I was going through everything so quickly. :slight_smile: Oh, and like some of you, I did do a fair bit of drinking last night as well. Unfortunately, four months of no alcohol messed with my tolerance a bit. Four Guinesses and I was ready for bed. Hope you all get pleasant news in the next 6 weeks.

I found the morning session more challenging. I was still not fully awake when the exam started as I had a very poor night of sleep. So I’m not entirely sure what I filled in in the morning. Hopefully not too many mistakes. The afternoon session went well I thought, but I’m still not sure if it will be enough to pass. It was a real marathon and I agree with the poster above: coming on time really doesn’t help I just sat a whole hour in that hangar-like place waiting for other people who were too late.

Breakevens: x = breakeven quantity… (Price per unit * X) = FC + (VC per unit * x) As for the exam, I have decided not to speculate until the results come out, but reading some responses out here about morning vs. afternoon being harder, the question comes to mind…is it possible that which booklet was given at what time varied from one test center to the other? I remember the form numbers, so if it’s appropriate to bring those up here, I could let you know which ones we had at what time in Chicago. florinpop Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i think that the morning session was harder. i > felt a little discouraged, but i did a lot better > in the afternoon. i will be a close one, a lot of > the questions were exactly as in schweser or cfa > sample tests which made me regret that i only took > 2 of those. > can anybody enlighten me if when you calculate > breakeven point considerind costs, do you take in > account the fixed operating and the fixed > financing costs?