Interview with Ford?

It’s a entry-level financial analyst position. The question is, would you accept an interview with this company? I’m leaning towards no because of the obvious issues with the company and future prospects. If they merge or go bankrupt, I assume they aren’t going to keep any new hires. But since this is one of the few interviews I’ve been offered, thought I should at least consider it.

something is better than nothing. look at me, posting on AF all day, trsut me, you dont want to be me

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > something is better than nothing. look at me, > posting on AF all day, trsut me, you dont want to > be me Hey Daj, I hope your job search is going well. I recall reading you had various interviews, hopefully you’ll get a gig soon! You’re on AF posting all day, I’m reading AF all day. Same difference. Anyways, I figure something is better than nothing, but thing is, Ford could be nothing by the time the job starts (~next June).

Even if they went bankrupt, they would restucture which could be something really interesting to be a part of.

I’m in the same boat as you… I had 3 financial services interviews that I haven’t heard back from yet, but it seems they absolutely have their pick from the cream of the crop right now. Now, I’m interviewing with Boeing, GE, Lockheed, and Ford for financial analyst gigs or finance rotations. Something is definitely better than nothing, so take the interview in case all else fails. At least you’ll have some free time with a 40 hour work week. But still, keep pumping out those cover letters and applications.

my buddy is a financial analyst with ford. they make it seem sexy in the interview phase, but the job itself is worthless. If you don’t have many options though, it at least pays well

As always, thanks, fellas. Alright, I’ll take the interview and see how it goes. Florida_Gator – Good luck in your job search! If you don’t mind me asking, how did you get interviews with Boeing, GE, and Lockheed? Just apply on their websites? I ask because I’ve had no success with filling out apps on websites, and the only interviews I have been offered were positions listed on my career website.

I’m telling you, fellas, Washington, DC is where you all need to be looking–accounting, real estate, gov’t consulting, law, IT, etc. In addition, 3.9% unemployment, somewhat affordable rent, and a real estate market down 20+% in 2 years. I think for many 2007-2009 graduates, it’s time to put finance aside and try to survive. As a 2007 graduate who was laid off, I’m very fortunate (blessed) to have a job in commercial real estate finance–but that was it. I think I may have gotten the last commercial real estate finance job in America. I think Ford is a good idea. I think a pay check is a good idea. Probably a change in geography is a good idea, too.

kkent - I definitely hear ya, and I’m glad you still have a job in these tough times! The thing is, I actually want a change in geography. I’ve lived in Michigan almost my whole, and would like to relocate. I just am not having any success with even getting an interview anywhere else. I had the interview with UChicago, and now Ford. So, still the same region. I hear Texas is doing relatively better, but I haven’t had any responses or luck from Texas. I’ll start looking into DC.

DC nightlife sucks, almost got killed in a club

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > DC nightlife sucks, almost got killed in a club stay out of adams morgan then

Move to San Jose California…Silicon Valley is still strong.

kp824 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Florida_Gator – Good luck in your job search! If > you don’t mind me asking, how did you get > interviews with Boeing, GE, and Lockheed? Just > apply on their websites? > > I ask because I’ve had no success with filling out > apps on websites, and the only interviews I have > been offered were positions listed on my career > website. Thanks man… I got the Lockheed and GE interviews from my university career fair. I applied to 15 jobs on Boeing’s website, got a phone interview for their Finance Rotation in Southern California, now they’re flying me out there in about two weeks for a face-to-face. I got the Ford interview from their website as well. Don’t be discouraged, just keep fishing with those apps, someone will bite eventually. I’ve applied to a ton of F500 companies, ibanks, and boutiques as well, still applying to at least one every day and hitting up every info session I can. Hopefully I’ll hear something good from an IB or ER shop, but if not at least I’ll have some options.

Update: Well, I made it to the second round. It’s going to be a one day “talent management conference” with various activities and interviews. Has anyone went through this with Ford, and can share their experience? Will this be the last round of interview, or will there still be more to follow?

you really want to work for an automaker? that too american? lol you would be better off with other firms…i know Intel has a solid FA program

the only people interviewing Ford should be external M&A peeps

Take it whatever you get this time. May be after 6 months start looking again. But are they in a position to pay you every month?

No, only because Michigan sucks.

you even get the Ford gig? Daj found something…hopefully you did too

Our governor was just named economic adviser to Obama (no econ background, and she has left us with a 9% unemployment), haha, good choice Barack